Are You A Self Made or Raised Disney Fanatic?

CynBeth

I am self made. My parents took me twice to DW and once to DL when I was a kid. As an adult my husband and I have been to DW 3 times and DL once.
I am in my mid 30s and my husband is in his early 40s and we have no kids.

usd2bmd

Self made, definitely. I come from a family of 6 kids and living in upstate New York, vacations to WDW wern't exactly in the budget. We went for the first time when my daughter was 6. My husband had been once when he was a kid (Magic kingdom was the only park then), so it was like the first time for all of us and we were all instantly in Love with this Magical Place!!

Todd H

Self made. We went a few times as a kid for a day (and only to MK). After getting married my wife suggested going to Disney World for our vacation. I had always wanted to visit EPCOT, having never had the chance as a child. So we stayed for a week at Caribbean Beach resort and I've been hooked ever since. Now my son is hooked and is already begging to go back. I'm already secretly planning our next trip for the end of the year. Can't wait to surprise my son. :)

ddbowdoin

certainly self-raised... I went four times during my childhood but we never stayed on site, parents always wanted to rent a house so we could stay longer. My parents weren't fans, just brought us kids because that's what parents "have to do".

it wasn't until 2009 when my then gf and I (soon to be wife, disneymoon July 9-20!) decided Disney would be a "fun" vacation. She always stayed onsite, I always stayed off. We decided, since I'm usually the money man, to stay off... between the driving, the 14 bucks a day to park, and the lack of "magic" offsite I decided I'd give the resorts a go the next time around. From the moment I left that first trip I joined the boards and started reading up on Walt, the parks, music... collecting nick nacks. It was all downhill from there. March of 2011 I asked my best friend for her hand in marriage, on a beach swing outside the BC. I'll never forget that trip and I am 1000000000000% relieved that she not only accepts but partakes in my Disney passion.

I was always in the "cool" crowd in HS because I played three varsity sports. SO I think I had years of suppressing my true self to fit in. Now, I go the grocery store in my disney shirts and I could care less. It might be easier when you're a dad in his 40's but as a 27 year old I get a lot of looks and people judge me a lot. The idea of disney and honeymooning boggles peoples minds, I get a lot of "oh... why not sandles?" ... oh yeah, because going somewhere just to get drunk for a week is somehow more socially acceptable than a family friendly destination?!?!

I don't get it...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom