Are you a Disney shareholder? If so.. why?

If you invest - Are you invested in Disney?

• Yes

Votes: 13 86.7%
  • No

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters

Model3 McQueen

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
For those of you who have dipped your feet into the market, are you invested in the Walt Disney Corporation? If so, why are you? If not, why aren't you?

I'll start - no I am not invested. I have a strong dislike for Disney management, I don't find them to be sexy (my definition of a company who's out to change the world and be culturally relevant for today, not because of who they used to be), I think the theme park decisions are ultimately good for short-term increases but will damage Disney in the long run, and lastly the company is becoming less of a leader and more of a follower.

Some quick examples for that last sentence.. how Disney is using all IP and refuse to take risk with all original attractions. How their movies, while not flops, are no longer in the same realm of classics like Cars, Finding Nemo, Toy Story, Up, Ratatouille, Monster's Inc. Disney+ made absolute sense but it lacks if you're not a fan of Disney media.

seascape

I love themeparks and own Disney, Six Flags and Cedar Fair. I don't oen Comcast because in the ling run I think their Internet Business and Cable TV Business are poor investments. However, that is just my view even though their Universal Themeparks would be a great investment if they were spun off.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
When dealing with stock purchases you have to take emotion out of it.

Disney is still a good investment as both a short term and long term investment. We've been hearing on these and other boards for a long time how management has eroded Disney's image due to xyz, yet all evidence to the contrary. Theme Park attendance has been up, box office for MCU and other Disney properties hit all time highs. So by all accounts Disney is a great investment.

And yes I'm a Disney shareholder.

Heppenheimer

Yes, mainly because I inherited some stock, and I've added shares from time to time because I view it as a long-term investment. But Disney is just one piece of a larger investment portfolio.

Also, Disney never misses a dividend or bond payment.

Model3 McQueen

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
When dealing with stock purchases you have to take emotion out of it.

Disney is still a good investment as both a short term and long term investment. We've been hearing on these and other boards for a long time how management has eroded Disney's image due to xyz, yet all evidence to the contrary. Theme Park attendance has been up, box office for MCU and other Disney properties hit all time highs. So by all accounts Disney is a great investment.

And yes I'm a Disney shareholder.

There are certainly some bullish aspects to Disney as a whole. For me it's not enough.

Have you visited Wallstreetbets? I'm sure you've at least heard of it :hilarious: emotion is the name of the game.

How can we explain Tesla's valuation? Explain the short killers AMC and GME.. Better yet, explain the wild success of Dogecoin, Shibu Inu, etc. Crazy examples but my point is at the end of the day, stock valuation is based on supply & demand.

I'm long AMD, TSLA, and ETH. It's a great big beautiful tomorrow :cool:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
There are certainly some bullish aspects to Disney as a whole. For me it's not enough.

Have you visited Wallstreetbets? I'm sure you've at least heard of it :hilarious: emotion is the name of the game.

How can we explain Tesla's valuation? Explain the short killers AMC and GME.. Better yet, explain the wild success of Dogecoin, Shibu Inu, etc. Crazy examples but my point is at the end of the day, stock valuation is based on supply & demand.

I'm long AMD, TSLA, and ETH. It's a great big beautiful tomorrow :cool:
Yes I'm aware of that Reddit. Just because they've been able to move a few stocks doesn't mean listening to Reddit users is a sound investment strategy long term. There are lots that got killed trying to follow the wave of those suggestions, over $5 Billion lost for GME alone.

Crypto is a dangerous game long term for many reason, but I'm not going to go into that here.

Stock valuation isn't just based on supply and demand, so much more goes into it. I'm reminded of the DotCom bubble of the late 90s/early 00s. You might not be old enough to have experienced that market, but I am. Valuations for companies that literally produced nothing were through the roof. Companies were given literally multi-Billion dollar valuations for little more than a single page business plan. And when it all went belly up because these same companies had nothing over $5 Trillion was lost. That is Trillion with a T lost. That is people's homes, pensions, 401k, college funds, etc., all lost because people were chasing the high.

We're 20 years later and that high is still being chase, just now its different investments being chased. We haven't learned a thing.

That is why the best investment strategies remove emotion out of it. You look at the fundamentals of a company, and not just how you "feel" about the management. You look at investments for the long term, not short term gains. And you don't get stock tips from some Reddit user who might have ulterior motives.

Kobe!!

I've had some Disney stock since it was $30.00 a share. The "risk" isn't really worth the reward, I've made A LOT more in crypto in the last few years. If anything buy Tesla stock. You're welcome. :)

Simba's Mom

I bought $1000 worth, just a couple months after 9/11, when Disney stock was just $20 a share. It was also during a time when I was working full time, and I thought it was a good purchase. I'm not panicking that it's decreased over $25/share in the last few weeks. It's still worth about 7-8 times what it was in late 2001.

Heppenheimer

A good summary- you won't get rich on Disney stock (and definitely not quickly), but it can be a solid piece of an overall balanced portfolio. That's how I look at the Disney stock I own.

Lilofan

I bought $1000 worth, just a couple months after 9/11, when Disney stock was just $20 a share. It was also during a time when I was working full time, and I thought it was a good purchase. I'm not panicking that it's decreased over $25/share in the last few weeks. It's still worth about 7-8 times what it was in late 2001.
That's a good investment outlook, long term, so your money works harder than you do.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom