Are You 2nd Generation?

DisneyPhD

LOL Dwarful. What a story. Family vactions can be such "TRIPS".

I went to WDW once when I was 3 (1974) with my family, then again when I was 13 with my family and a bunch of my older brothers friends (MK and Epcot this time.) That was a great trip. For six years we took day trips to MK over spring break with a youth group. That was the extent of my Disney history until I met my hubby.

My husband and his family went to WDW and stayed at FW with their trailer for 2 weeks each summer, back when there wasn't as much to do and it was 25$ a night. They also stayed at Contempory when he was one year old. He has very good memories of these trips, but is by far the biggest Disney nut in his family.

After we had been married for 3 years and were way to poor to afford it we stayed at DL for a week and fell in love with the place. We have been every year for a week since and just bought DVC so we have plans for the next 40 years.

We used to joke that we had a kid just so we could take her to WDW. This past Dec we took our then 8 1/2 month old and it was a great trip. (I also went 8 months pregnant!)

Now our daugher is 13 months old and she loves to look at the photo album from the trip! I think she will be 3rd generation.

FanofDinsey1981

I have been brought up on disney, and I am a true nut. my parents never "dragged" my sister and I, since it was a treat to get out of Illinois every two years. I plan on raising my kids on disney too.

I reciently brought my fiance (how do you do the little accent marks....) for his first trip to disney at the age of 23. (poor guy) he really loved it, and I think he will turn into a crazy nut about it too.

it is quite interesting to see WDW grow up along with me. I was alive for 3 of the 4 new parks, though I only remember 2 of them. (I wasnt physically there though). I can still talk about When ToT and RnR didnt exist, and when 20000 leagues was still a cool ride. I am just sorry some people never got to experience mr. toad's wild ride. :(

Dwarful

Hey DisneyPhD...I was born in 71 too! Maybe its a 70's thing...parents of that era got us hooked! We took our first when she was a baby, then I went when I was pregnant too..took our daughter and our niece( my sisters daughter) as my husband thought our 3yr old would have more fun if there was another child with her! Now I know he's a great guy..not too many would want to drive an extra preschooler along on a 1,000 mile car trip LOL~

DisneyPhD

Dwarful, yes those good guys are hard to come by. My hubby also lets me drag my nieces and nephews everywere with us. We took my then 9 year old niece on vaction with us before our daughter was born, now we take her now that she is 11 and she is great for helping out with the baby. She keeps joking we should pay her for baby sitting, ya right, SHE OWES US!!!!

I do belive that there is some magic in being born in 1971, the same year MK in WDW opened. We can always remember what aniversary year it is by how old we are!!!!!!

DanStat

Originally posted by mktiggerman
my mommy called me her "little WDW souvenir."

I never understood what that meant.. :confused: :brick:

Hmmmm...let's see...:lol: :D ;) <~~ you mean you never had the "talk"? ;) :lookaroun

I've been going to WDW since I was in kindergarden.

I love it, and my dad is the same way...always like, maybe we'll take a break next year. But that never happens! :) :cool:

dalton30720

I am a 2nd generation WDW fan. My parents took me several times starting the 1st year it opened. And, now I take my kids. So, that's 3 generations that love the magic of WDW.

Dizknee_Phreek

Originally posted by BigNorm
My father keeps saying "This is the last year," but we're going back this year yet again and I can't wait. They might just think it's the same old thing now, but when they get older they'll realize it's the one place they can still be a kid and get away with it!

:lol: LOL! that's EXACTLY what my dad said every trip! and every year we'd go back! we've been 13 times since 92, so if that tells ya anything... ;) i was about 8 on my first trip. now i'm 17. i still love the place...but for some reason i don't have the same passion for it that i had had for years. i don't know why. and there's just too many circumstances that happened in the year 2000 to pinpoint exactly why my passion faded in 2001. so i'll probably never know exactly what happened. but i'm trying to rebuild the excitement. on my next trip i'm gonna try to do a lot of things that was a tradition for me as a kid (playing in Honey I Shrunk the Kids Playset for one) and see if that will help.
anyway, i'm getting a little off topic as i usually do. as a kid, i never saw Disney as 'the same old thing', but being a person who hated (and still hates) change, i wouldn't have cared if it was always the same.
but don't worry about burning your kids out! i can almost promise that you're not! now, once they hit teen years, who knows? but if they are like me, and others, who cherish their childhood, then they'll never get tired of it! plus, believe it or not, growing up 'in' WDW instills unbelieveable amounts of morals and values, and also patience (waiting in lines...unless you use fastpass, which was never an option when i was a kid) and an incredible respect for other cultures. now i know that's just me, and it's probably not the same with every kid. but i can only tell you what being raised 'in' WDW did for me. and it makes the love for the place so much deeper than just the entertainment. some of my most happiest memories were there! but i can promise you that it makes the meaning of Disney so much deeper than just family entertainment!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom