Pre-Trip Are we really going back so soon? December 2024

So yall that read my trip report for May already know that we booked a bounceback offer before leaving WDW so that we could use those 2 free park tickets. Well, Disney should be proud to know that their "free" ticket plan worked and we are for sure returning to WDW in December - and this time I'm purchasing the MVMCP and Jollywood Night Tickets 😂 I just purchased plane tickets, party tickets, and travel insurance (if you know, you know LOL). This is the first time we've been more than once in a year so I'm super excited!! I told R that maybe it will help me get more comfortable on flights and maybe next time I can do one longer than 2 hours :) I am holding off on getting Mears until closer to the trip - I'm hoping that they release a Disney+ or Disney Visa room discount that has more selection than the bounceback offer at Riverside. I'm not complaining about Riverside though since it's our place but I would like to save a little extra money (or stay at AKL cheaper), if at all possible. This year's discount selection is not very good compared to past years.

When we went in December 2021 for the short 3 night stay, they didn't have the full Christmas Party just the abbreviated themed After Hours event. We loved it but I'm seriously looking forward to a full Christmas party though. And we've never done Jollywood Nights :)

Wicked Sisters

In the Parks
No
A cousin I've never met in person will be arriving in WDW right before we leave so I'm trying to make plans to meet up with her. Fingers crossed! I'm really hoping that the boats between POR and DS will be running while we're there to make transfers so much easier. I missed them not running in May because the lines for the POR were always so long at DS! Never did get the beignets. I realized that I also have to find time to resort hop between the resorts to see the Christmas decorations. I guess Epcot day will be the resorts there. I'll see the decor at AKL during Boma day. The GF and Poly either before MVMCP or Ohana day if I'm lucky enough to get an ADR. Any other Christmas decorated resort lobbies that I should try and see while there?
A cousin I've never met in person will be arriving in WDW right before we leave so I'm trying to make plans to meet up with her. Fingers crossed! I'm really hoping that the boats between POR and DS will be running while we're there to make transfers so much easier. I missed them not running in May because the lines for the POR were always so long at DS! Never did get the beignets. I realized that I also have to find time to resort hop between the resorts to see the Christmas decorations. I guess Epcot day will be the resorts there. I'll see the decor at AKL during Boma day. The GF and Poly either before MVMCP or Ohana day if I'm lucky enough to get an ADR. Any other Christmas decorated resort lobbies that I should try and see while there?
Wilderness Lodge looks like it’s really beautiful at Christmas by people’s photos. To me it looks amazing anytime as well.

LeighM

Original Poster
I feel so sad for you that your in laws don’t understand how you are feeling. My heart goes out to you.

I've learned to expect nothing from them after over 20 years with my husband. I closed the door to any closer relationship after my experience on the first Thanksgiving without my family. I feel bad for my husband though that his family and wife are so distant because I know it bothers him.

Wilderness Lodge looks like it’s really beautiful at Christmas by people’s photos. To me it looks amazing anytime as well.

That's where she's actually staying so I'm trying to figure out if we can make the timing work. She's arriving on Thursday, on my Epcot day, and then there's only Friday before I leave on Saturday. She didn't even know I existed until 8 years ago and always thought she was her grandmother's youngest grandchild. While technically I AM the youngest, I told her she could keep the title as she was the one with the relationship 😂 But our love of Disney World is the one thing that we actually have in common LOL. Well, besides our crazy anxieties and ability to hold a grudge like no one's business! Which proves how crazy what can actually be inherited.....

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Which Epcot resort had the gingerbread carousel? Because I think I meant to go to that one in 2021 and got distracted :)

Beach Club has the gingerbread carousel. Yacht Club in the past has had a large Christmas village, with a train, set up and I think last year they added a gingerbread lighthouse to the lobby.

LeighM

Original Poster
Beach Club has the gingerbread carousel. Yacht Club in the past has had a large Christmas village, with a train, set up and I think last year they added a gingerbread lighthouse to the lobby.

Then that's one that I definitely want to try and visit while at Epcot. I'm debating whether I want to do Candlelight Processional but I'm waiting to see who the guest speakers are. I wanted to do that in 2021 but it was so hot and crowded that day that we decided against it.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Right?! LOL. I did buy trip insurance again just in case 😂

I’m just curious, do they not sell annual travel insurance in the US? Because when I looked into buying insurance for a trip once, I realized that it would cost the same (or possibly even more) than an annual travel policy, so I ended up getting that (and don’t need to worry about each individual trip any more).

Last edited:

LeighM

Original Poster
I’m just curious, do they not sell annual travel insurance in the US? Because when I looked into buying insurance for a trip once, I realized that it would cost the same (or possibly even less) than an annual travel policy, so I ended up getting that (and don’t need to worry about each individual trip any more).

I'm not sure whether they do or not. It's never been something that I would need as we usually only do one vacation a year. And we haven't taken an annual vacation since 2019. We're trying to plan our future vacations for 2025-2026. I want my first cruise with DCL in case it's the only one I can take due to sea sickness, etc. And I want to go to Vermont one autumn and he wants to go to Europe - either Spain (where his PR family was from originally) or Italy. So we need to sit down and see costs, budgets, etc. and prioritize to determine how it might work with whatever new house we are lucky enough to find. Depending on the house and economy, this December trip might be our last vacation for another long while 😂

Swissmiss

Premium Member
I'm not sure whether they do or not. It's never been something that I would need as we usually only do one vacation a year. And we haven't taken an annual vacation since 2019. We're trying to plan our future vacations for 2025-2026. I want my first cruise with DCL in case it's the only one I can take due to sea sickness, etc. And I want to go to Vermont one autumn and he wants to go to Europe - either Spain (where his PR family was from originally) or Italy. So we need to sit down and see costs, budgets, etc. and prioritize to determine how it might work with whatever new house we are lucky enough to find. Depending on the house and economy, this December trip might be our last vacation for another long while 😂

Just fixed my rather important error in my own post - I meant to say that a one trip policy was going to cost me the same or MORE than an annual policy. 🤦🏼‍♀️

LeighM

Original Poster
I requested hard copy tickets for the special events in December just to have more "free" momentos 😂 They finally arrived and I'm happy with the ones we received. It's actually feeling real now. Just a little over 4 months remaining. I'm beyond annoyed that JetBlue had to change their baggage policy (shoot, I haven't even gotten over their change in their boarding procedure!). I hate all the constant money grabbing and upselling. I tried getting the husband to agree to a road trip but he refused. I guess a 12+ hour drive over Thanksgiving holiday wasn't appealing to him LOL.

Tickets.jpg

LeighM

Original Poster
Long story short - JetBlue changed my flight info so I'm no longer on the first flight out. They cancelled the original reservations and booked me on the 2nd flight out which was at the same time. But I wanted the first flight out but I couldn't change it without cancelling the entire booking because I partially paid with points, but I couldn't cancel without paying almost double for the return trip back home. So I thought to extend my stay at WDW by one night and take the early flight out on Sunday morning. The Mears pick up time would be at 3AM. I called them to see if I could extend my stay at POR for one night - nope, booked. They were willing to extend the bounce back offer to me but the only rooms available were the expensive suites. Nope, not an option. There are some discounted rooms at a value for $230/night but that's too expensive for less than 12 hours in the room. Then I thought about one less night at POR and add Friday/Saturday nights somewhere else. No rooms available anywhere with the discounted rooms, just limited rack rate rooms. I asked the CM on the phone what the heck was happening that week, esp since Pop Warner is at Universal, and she said she had no danged idea but she's never seen anything like it before as that week is a historically low crowd one. She can only assume there are a lot of conferences booked around the resort. So now, I'm thinking the week is going to be a really busy one. Reminding myself - keep expectations low LOL.

LeighM

Original Poster
Since this is an election year and my husband's big family Thanksgiving, I tried to convince him to start our vacation early and spend Thanksgiving at WDW but so far I have been unsuccessful LOL. My doctor can probably prescribe me something really relaxing 😂 It seems like election year holidays are always the worse! But I went ahead and purchased Memory Maker (fingers crossed we don't get rained out) and Mears transport. Has anyone ever had pics taken at the photo studio in Disney Springs? I'm going to do my best to not forget to utilize it this trip :)

Tiki Traveler

Since this is an election year and my husband's big family Thanksgiving, I tried to convince him to start our vacation early and spend Thanksgiving at WDW but so far I have been unsuccessful LOL. My doctor can probably prescribe me something really relaxing 😂 It seems like election year holidays are always the worse! But I went ahead and purchased Memory Maker (fingers crossed we don't get rained out) and Mears transport. Has anyone ever had pics taken at the photo studio in Disney Springs? I'm going to do my best to not forget to utilize it this t :)

DH and I had photos taken there in Nov. 22. Above is the link to the trip report.

Some thoughts:

- I believe you can choose five backgrounds. They will suggest backgrounds to move things along. I suggested one specific background and they did incorporate it.
- If we do it again I am going to have everyone (which may be just DH and me) pick favorite backgrounds beforehand. I love the Tiki Room so it would be fun to have that!
- For the “real“ seasonal background be aware of your posture. They had us sit on a bench and all the shots were bad. o_O We definitely weren’t looking our best.

It’s free so why not have some fun w/it!

pkkurz

Since this is an election year and my husband's big family Thanksgiving, I tried to convince him to start our vacation early and spend Thanksgiving at WDW but so far I have been unsuccessful LOL. My doctor can probably prescribe me something really relaxing 😂 It seems like election year holidays are always the worse! But I went ahead and purchased Memory Maker (fingers crossed we don't get rained out) and Mears transport. Has anyone ever had pics taken at the photo studio in Disney Springs? I'm going to do my best to not forget to utilize it this trip :)
We did in 2019. Lots of fun.
IMG_0930.jpeg
IMG_0933.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom