Are we arrogant?

jlevis

... WDW really does have a kind and pleasant cast. I've always enjoyed talking to World Showcase cast members. In Japan, the hospitality is amazing. They always start up conversations with you. Still, when I went to the Wizarding World, I've never interacted with so many cast members in my life. They always chat with me high-fiving me over my Hufflepuff scarf. Two cast members would just chat with me and my sister while they cleaned around my table. It was the best feeling in the world. It just felt personal.

Exactely my experience at WDW consistently over the years. The fact is that every theme park today is building on Walt and Roy's work.

SyracuseOrange

It's been quite some time but I dealt with a kind of snide cast member at the Living Seas. Of course, that was years ago... WDW really does have a kind and pleasant cast. I've always enjoyed talking to World Showcase cast members. In Japan, the hospitality is amazing. They always start up conversations with you. Still, when I went to the Wizarding World, I've never interacted with so many cast members in my life. They always chat with me high-fiving me over my Hufflepuff scarf. Two cast members would just chat with me and my sister while they cleaned around my table. It was the best feeling in the world. It just felt personal.

Oh, I misread. I thought you were saying the Japan pavilion cast members were rude...and I was going to say that the CMs there are some of the best in WDW!

CP_alum08

Original Poster
well i think that once youve experienced Disney its hard to go anywhere else without comparing them and eventually saying Disney is superior. I dont plan on going to universal or any other theme parks only because i know i wont enjoy it as much as WDW. WDW is my favorite place and its hard to admit that anywhere else is remotely close to it :)

I don't think I could have put my point in better words myself :brick:

AEfx

I wouldn't term it as arrogance, but I think a lot of us lost some swagger talking about Disney when Everest became a dud and WWOHP blew everything at WDW straight out of the water. We are coming back, inches at a time, but it will be a long while before anything of that caliber is built at WDW. Next chance is with that Avatar stuff, but we will just have to wait and see on that.

The Empress Lilly

Disney strikes just the right sentimental note in a person. No matter how brilliant the Spiderman attraction at IoA is, it will never appeal to people on the same emotional level as the Disney parks.

The WWoHP is the best themed area in Orlando. With the most exhilarating rides. It's CM's are possibly the best too. But at night I dream of seeing my castle at the end of Main Street. :shrug:

Sadly, WDW's management at some point came to understand this. They realised they can sell an inferior product and we still prefer it over the competition.

Timekeeper

Sadly, WDW's management at some point came to understand this. They realised they can sell an inferior product and we still prefer it over the competition.

Exactly!

And we see this across all industries. Take McDonalds, for example. We can all see the evolution of the Big Mac and how the meat patties have become the size of Nilla wafers. But, so long as people keep buying them, there's no reason to improve (or maintain the quality of) the sandwich. Where's the beef? :cry:

CP_alum08

Original Poster
Disney strikes just the right sentimental note in a person. No matter how brilliant the Spiderman attraction at IoA is, it will never appeal to people on the same emotional level as the Disney parks.

The WWoHP is the best themed area in Orlando. With the most exhilarating rides. It's CM's are possibly the best too. But at night I dream of seeing my castle at the end of Main Street. :shrug:

That was perfectly said. I'm not one to bash the parks and management for some burnt light bulbs and peeling paint, but there has definitely been a steady decline at WDW over the years and I think management and the guests have just come to accept it. Sadly.

Exactly!

And we see this across all industries. Take McDonalds, for example. We can all see the evolution of the Big Mac and how the meat patties have become the size of Nilla wafers. But, so long as people keep buying them, there's no reason to improve (or maintain the quality of) the sandwich. Where's the beef? :cry:

All it takes to repeal this is enough people to stop buying the product, in this case, admission to the parks. If Disney stops seeing such large profits wouldn't they have to rethink their strategy? You can call me a dreamer at any time now :cry:

chrissyw14

I think we shouldn't try to compare WDW to other things because we are always going to find something that proves that we like Disney more, (not that that isn't true) but we would probably enjoy other experiences a lot more if we don't hold it on par to Disney.

I also wanted to go to WWofHP when I went to Disney last August, but its only a small part of the park and its mostly just new stores and then a single day ticket at universal is $100 plus transportation so it really just didn't seem worth it to us. Also whenever i'm in Florida i really just want to go to Disney! I did go to Horror night at Universal and that was fun, but it was hard to pass by Disney.

Tom Morrow

It really bugs me when people can't pry themselves away from Disney to experience Universal. I can understand not wanting to go see Sea World, but seriously you are missing out on so many great attractions by not going.

Walt Disney1955

I think Disney is the best place too. However, I can enjoy other parks. Ultimately you always compare them to your time at Disney but it almost isn't fair. Other parks hold up on their own quite well. If someone told me I won a free trip to Universal Orlando over the weekend but could only see Universal and not Disney I'd still be giddy.

I never understand the rivalry between the two companies on here. I say enjoy them both and be happy they are competing. Competition is healthy

CP_alum08

Original Poster
I think Disney is the best place too. However, I can enjoy other parks. Ultimately you always compare them to your time at Disney but it almost isn't fair. Other parks hold up on their own quite well. If someone told me I won a free trip to Universal Orlando over the weekend but could only see Universal and not Disney I'd still be giddy.

I never understand the rivalry between the two companies on here. I say enjoy them both and be happy they are competing. Competition is healthy

There are rational people on this board after all :sohappy: Competing companies means it's a win-win for the consumer, because they will always be trying to top or out-do the other, means we always get the newest, best technology and fresh ideas regardless of which park they are at.

SMS55

There are a lot of people out there (and maybe even some on this board, gasp!) who think that the Disney product and service - particularly the service - has been going downhill, and is no longer of the caliber on which Disney was founded. :cry:

There is some truth in what you are saying. The problem is right now they have no incentive to change. If profits are at record levels like another thread suggests why cut into your bottom line? Now when guests stop coming because the quality of their product or service had gone down, they'll pour some money into the attractions and go back to some of that Disney service we've come to expect.

Timekeeper

You know what's kinda funny; most of the characteristics that actually end up being compared are the nostalgic or otherwise internal-personal feelings that the Disney attractions and environments create compared to Universal's. And that's the one thing that Universal will never be able to compete against. That's just the nature of being the new kid on the block compared to a legendary icon.

Hard core Disney fans know that nothing at the Magic Kingdom (including the FLE) compares (or will compare) to Wizarding World. They're not ignorant to this fact. But, so long as they get that warm fuzzy feeling in their hearts when riding Peter Pan, that they don't get when riding Forbidden Journey, they will always support Disney as having the superior theme parks.

So, there really is no "rivalry." And as long as nostalgic feelings are at the heart of the comparisons (which they usually seem to be), then Disney will always win. The house always wins, or should I say, the Mouse always wins. :(

FLORIDA_PHIL

i luv disney and universal studios and IOA its great at all of them :) but to be honest i dont see what all the fuss is about WWOHP it just does nothing for me . I walk through for a peep but thats it i tend to avoid it . must be one of a select few :) :) :)

AEfx

There is some truth in what you are saying. The problem is right now they have no incentive to change. If profits are at record levels like another thread suggests why cut into your bottom line? Now when guests stop coming because the quality of their product or service had gone down, they'll pour some money into the attractions and go back to some of that Disney service we've come to expect.

That's why we get half-baked ideas like "Toy Story Mania". (I know I've said it before - but did we really need another shoot-em'up ride based on Toy Story? One wasn't enough?)

A first grader could have designed that ride. Simplicity is fine, but basically you can reenact the ride in your living room with the Wii version of the game and a swivel office chair and get just about the same effect.

Or Laff Floor. Back in the day it would have been full of animatronics. Now we get...video screens.

I love Disney, but it's a shame that I no longer expect the best from them. I don't expect to be impressed by new stuff. I'm occasionally pleasantly surprised (example, Mermaid looks great - and I *LIKE* her hair, LOL - in the Disneyland version; as long as we get that with our vastly superior exterior, I'm a happy guy).

But I honestly don't expect a real, true, knock'em sock'em ride from Disney anymore that doesn't involve videoscreens. I mean, look at Soarin' (and TSM, for that matter) - longest lines in the parks, people eat that stuff up. It seems to satisfy most people.

That's why I keep hoping they will tackle a Muppets dark ride, because even if it was small in scale, that would impress me - not just because I love the Muppets, but because it's a property and ride style that WDW needs desperately. Although I don't care a lick about Avatar, I think it is quite easily the most over-hyped, gimmicky film I've ever seen, I'm just hoping we get something other than a different version of Soarin' tech and more video screen crap.

CP_alum08

Original Poster
^^I agree with you to an extent. I am not impressed by screens at all. Some of the older videos could use a better resolution version, absolutely, but does everything need to be in 3D, HECK NO! But, people are obviously impressed with 3D and it's a "new" technology so it's being used everywhere it can. And I really don't understand the hype around Soarin', I just don't, but people are crazy about it.

I am excited for Avatar land though. Not because of Avatar, I could care less about giant trees and blue people, but we don't have a specifically themed land anywhere and I think it will be interesting. Lands like Adventure Land, Future World, etc. are a general theme and I think Avatar land will have far more coherent themes. Cars land out in DL looks pretty awesome so I hope it's along those same lines.

Timekeeper

I am excited for Avatar land though. Not because of Avatar, I could care less about giant trees and blue people, but we don't have a specifically themed land anywhere and I think it will be interesting. Lands like Adventure Land, Future World, etc. are a general theme and I think Avatar land will have far more coherent themes. Cars land out in DL looks pretty awesome so I hope it's along those same lines.

If our experience with Universal Orlando serves as any kind of predictor of what a big budget installation backed by a big franchise can do for a theme park, then the Avatar area will be amazing.

I understand that a lot of Disney fans (on these boards) are Disney purists, and seem allergic to the idea of anything coming from outside of in-house imagineering, but in the end we will all benefit from the collaboration of these amazing artists. :sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom