Are WDW tickets overpriced? An analysis.

Slowjack

Original Poster
Just thought I would see what other people think about this. I'm the kind of guy who likes to dig into numbers to help form my opinions, and I have some numbers to share.

1983 was the year the WDW completely did away with "ticket books" and let guests ride all the rides they wanted. Before that it's too tough to compare ticket prices, because it would depend on how many rides people rode.

Conveniently, inflation from 1983 to 2006 (latest year I can get a number on) is almost exactly 100%. In other words, the typical consumer item that sold for $10 in 1983 sells for just over $20 now.

Now let's look at ticket prices. Suppose you were buying an adult one-day ticket to the MK in late 1983. Barring discounts you paid $17 (not including tax on any of this). That would be the equivalent of $34 today. But if you bought a ticket today, you would pay $71, which is over twice as much. So in real dollar terms, WDW has doubled the price of this ticket since 1983.

With multi-day passports it's even worse. Suppose you wanted a 4 day ticket in 1983. That would be $45. In 2006 dollars, that's $90. The cheapest you could get a 4-day ticket now would be $212, which again is more than twice as much. But wait, it's actually worse than that. In 1983, all multi-day tickets allow park hopping, and the extra days never expired. If you got a 4-day ticket today that worked the same way, it would be $302! That's more than triple the price in real dollar terms.

Finally, suppose you went to WDW in 1983 with your ten-year-old child. In 1983, there were three age levels for tickets. Child was 3 - 11. Junior, which was a small discount from Adult, was 12 - 17, and full Adult price wasn't until 18. Today Child is 3 - 9, and 10+ is considered Adult.

Okay. So in 1983, that ten-year-old 4-day park hopper would have been $36, or $72 today. In 2007, the child would pay full adult price, that same $302 listed above, which is more that four times the price, in constant dollars.

I didn't look at longer stays, because I think you could argue that a 7-day ticket is a lot more valuable now than in 1983, because in 1983 it would be a lot tougher to fill out all that time doing park stuff.

So what does everyone think? Are the increases justified?

UPDATE: I want to make clear that I am not offering this as a complaint, nor as a reaction to the latest price increase or any other. You won't find a complaint from me in this post or any other on Disney's ticket prices. I just think it's interesting how much more we are willing to pay, in inflation-adjusted dollars, for a WDW vacation, and was curious what other Disney fans thought.

Timmay

Conveniently, inflation from 1983 to 2006 (latest year I can get a number on) is almost exactly 100%. In other words, the typical consumer item that sold for $10 in 1983 sells for just over $20 now.
There is far more to the equation than inflation...supply and demand also has it's fair share in price increases/decreases. The same home that sold for 45k in 1983 was selling for more than 85k by 1990 and today would run close to a quater million. Gas is another good example of something that is well in excess of twice the price of 1983 prices.

So what does everyone think? Are the increases justified?
They are justified as long as people continue to pay them.

kag1984

But also in 1983 there were only 2 parks, today there are 4 parks. So if the price doubled... so did their offerings. Also you have to take a look at other forms of entertainment. A two hour movie costs $12, a concert ticket can cost upwards of $150 for two or three hours. So it all depends on if you think that it is a good value for your money.

Slowjack

Original Poster
There is far more to the equation than inflation...supply and demand also has it's fair share in price increases/decreases. The same home that sold for 45k in 1983 was selling for more than 85k by 1990 and today would run close to a quater million. Gas is another good example of something that is well in excess of twice the price of 1983 prices.
Yes, of course some things move away from the inflation average. My question is whether WDW tickets should be one of these things.
They are justified as long as people continue to pay them.
Okay, one vote for "yes."

Tim G

IMO... the solution is very simple...

If you don't want to pay for it???

Don't go... :lookaroun

WDWKat26

Exactly.

And also, think about it. You're paying for rides, world class Entertainment and most of all, the service.

Slowjack

Original Poster
But also in 1983 there were only 2 parks, today there are 4 parks. So if the price doubled... so did their offerings. Also you have to take a look at other forms of entertainment. A two hour movie costs $12, a concert ticket can cost upwards of $150 for two or three hours. So it all depends on if you think that it is a good value for your money.
That's why I limited it to 4-day passes. For many people 4-days could be only two parks anyway. It works out the same for 3 day passes as well. You can only enjoy one park at a time, after all. And note that the increase is there for single-day tickets also.

Concert tickets are another commodity that has skyrocketed in the past twenty years, so that may not be the best comparison. Or maybe it is. In general we are spending more real income on "entertainment." Is this good? Bad? Indifferent?

Slowjack

Original Poster
IMO... the solution is very simple...

If you don't want to pay for it???

Don't go... :lookaroun
Just to be clear I'm offering the numbers for discussion. Your suggestion makes no sense since I am not looking for a solution, since I have not outlined a problem.

Slowjack

Original Poster
Think about it. You're paying for rides, world class Entertainment and most of all, the service.
Well that makes even less sense than Corrus. WDW had rides, world-class entertainment, and service, in 1983. Some would argue that service was better in 1983 (smaller number of cast members meant you had more veterans and so on), some might disagree, but I don't think anyone would argue that service has improved four-fold since 1983.

mousefan1972

I just know that as long as my children keep having fun, and their faces continue to light up when seeing Cinderella Castle, riding Winnie the Pooh, meeting Mickey, etc. I will gladly pay whatever WDW is charging. I was one of the "bashers" when Disney announced the price increases (as well as the DDP changes), but I've since mellowed my stance. Our whole family (from DH, age 40 down to DS, age 2) loves Disney, and as long as they continue to make our vacations as wonderful as they've been, I'll pay it. We have some great memories already, and I can't wait until our next trip to make some more!

The cat

Slowjack you are right. Disney is ripping us off because the Mouse knows we'll be back. And are they offering us more? I'd say no. Mug that I am I go to WDW twice maybe three times a year. I have yet to go to any park when every ride/attraction has been open. Am I offered a discount to compensate? Ha! Of course not. Why do I go? I have four kids aged over a twelve year span. They love the 'magic'; I love them. So we go back, again and again. Mickey has his hooks in to us and is bleeding us financially dry - like so many others.

Apre moi. Le deluge.

Tim G

Well that makes even less sense than Corrus. WDW had rides, world-class entertainment, and service, in 1983. Some would argue that service was better in 1983 (smaller number of cast members meant you had more veterans and so on), some might disagree, but I don't think anyone would argue that service has improved four-fold since 1983.

I know, I know... I'm an idiot... :D

But everyone has a choice... to accept the increase or not...

So one can keep on nagging, but in the end, most of the people will continue visiting WDW...

It's still the same... to go or not to go... and if you do want to go, pay the increase...

That really makes sense... probably not to you...

and once again... indeed... I'm an idiot... :lookaroun

Slowjack

Original Poster
Just updated the original post to be clearer my intentions. I'm not suggesting that Disney lower the ticket prices, for example. I just think the difference in prices from then to now is large enough to warrant discussion. I mean, it kinda blew me away when I ran the numbers! But if Disney lowered the price of a 4-day hopper to under $100, man, I have to assume the parks would just be flooded.

Tim G

Just updated the original post to be clearer my intentions. I'm not suggesting that Disney lower the ticket prices, for example. I just think the difference in prices from then to now is large enough to warrant discussion. I mean, it kinda blew me away when I ran the numbers! But if Disney lowered the price of a 4-day hopper to under $100, man, I have to assume the parks would just be flooded.

Ok... I get it... :D

Slowjack

Original Poster
I know, I know... I'm an idiot... :D

But everyone has a choice... to accept the increase or not...

So one can keep on nagging, but in the end, most of the people will continue visiting WDW...

It's still the same... to go or not to go... and if you do want to go, pay the increase...

That really makes sense... probably not to you...

and once again... indeed... I'm an idiot... :lookaroun
I never said you are an idiot. I try not to insult people, something you ought to try ("probably not to you."). I've updated the original post to make things clear. I'm not nagging. I'm discussing. I think it's interesting that WDW fans (of which I am certainly one) are willing to pay so much more to go to WDW now than two decades ago. I never said I wasn't "accepting" the increase, whatever that means.

Tim G

I never said you are an idiot. I try not to insult people, something you ought to try ("probably not to you.").

Don't worry...

If you read well you must have seen that I said that myself... (twice) I even placed a :D behind it...

Slowjack

Original Poster
Slowjack you are right. Disney is ripping us off because the Mouse knows we'll be back. And are they offering us more? I'd say no. Mug that I am I go to WDW twice maybe three times a year. I have yet to go to any park when every ride/attraction has been open. Am I offered a discount to compensate? Ha! Of course not. Why do I go? I have four kids aged over a twelve year span. They love the 'magic'; I love them. So we go back, again and again. Mickey has his hooks in to us and is bleeding us financially dry - like so many others.

Apre moi. Le deluge.
I think WDW offers more per-day value than in 1983, but not nearly enough to cover the price increase. I mean, we are definitely paying more per unit of enjoyment (I just made that term up) in 2007. But like you, I still do it, and I don't complain. Why? I wonder if part of the answer is in the American work culture. In the U.S. we work more hours per year and take fewer vacation days than most other countries. Do we feel more entitled to "blow" money on pricey vacations?

Also I wonder if staying onsite changes how I view the ticket prices. If you pay $80, $120, or $200+ for a room, it makes the tickets seem cheaper.

JWG

I think WDW offers more per-day value than in 1983, but not nearly enough to cover the price increase. I mean, we are definitely paying more per unit of enjoyment (I just made that term up) in 2007. But like you, I still do it, and I don't complain. Why? I wonder if part of the answer is in the American work culture. In the U.S. we work more hours per year and take fewer vacation days than most other countries. Do we feel more entitled to "blow" money on pricey vacations?

Also I wonder if staying onsite changes how I view the ticket prices. If you pay $80, $120, or $200+ for a room, it makes the tickets seem cheaper.

"per unit of enjoyment" - I like that, nice ring to it.
You raise a valid point not based in opinion. The cost of Disney, opinions withheld, is not the same value as it was in 1983 in many cases.

For example, if you purchased the 1-day ticket as you described and decided to spend a day at MK in both 1983 and 2007, I would argure there is more than 1 day's worth of entertainment at the park in both years. IE, there are more things to do than you could do in 1 day in both time periods. Since park hours are relatively unchanged (seasons aside) you can likely hit similar numbers of attractions today as you could in 1983.

You certainly are paying a significantly higher price for your entertainment if that example holds true. The question then becomes, is the "value" of that entertianment or the "enjoyment" you get out of the entertainment twice as good as it was in 1983? Do you enjoy SM or CoP twice as much now as you did back then?

I'm all for paying, I just got back from a July trip and we're already planning a 2010 trip. I'm not aruging it isn't worth it or that pricing is out of control (if that were the case attendance would cease).

But "opinion" of the value of your vacation set aside, the OP's argument is true. (Again, this is not a complaint about prices).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom