Are tickets to WDW really over priced?

Qscout

For me the ticket prices are reasonable for what you get when compared to other entertainments, cost of broadway show, sports events etc. as you get a full day for the cost.

What bums me is we see the price rises every year, which I appreciate has to happen for inflation, staff costs etc. But that for more money we are now getting reduced park hours, which means less ride time, further enhanced by the longer queues. Also now you need to pay a lot of little extras for the same experience. Fast pass, airport transfers, hotel parking etc.

And the increased price of merchandise compared to the now lack of quality.

And on the luxury/privilege element. A holiday to Disney is definitely a luxury and a privilege always was, always will be!

John park hopper

It's all in the Disney business plan to separate you from your money. Reduce hours, increase ticket prices then so you can actually get to ride the attractions you paid for (with ticket) you can now buy fast passes.

tanc

I would say so, you can get 4 days of tickets to Tokyo Disney for like $220 - $250 ish. The only catch is for the first 2 days you can't park hop, but DisneySea itself deserves a whole day. The price you pay in the American parks is getting outrageous and now Genie+ will only make it worse.

DisAl

The only way to know if they are overpriced is to look at the return on investment. OK, one of you folks who understands such things and looks at their financial reports tell us what their ROI is and then we will know. No company survives without making a profit, and shareholders deserve to earn on their investments but let's discuss it after somebody tells us what the ROI is.

Club Cooloholic

I have read all the comments on how WDW charges too much. So I decided to compare WDW Tickrt prices to the cost of The University of Dayton. In the 1977 to 1978 school year my tuition with room and board was $3,500. In 1980 to 1981 it was over $8,000. Today it is $45,700. That is inflation. In 1977 WDW tickets cost $6.00 plus ride tickets. Using an $18.25 cost for an 18 ride ticket book and saying that lasted over 2 days the per day cost was $15.12 a day. Now, comparing college costs to WDW tickets, they should cost $197 a day today, since college costs have gone up just over 13 times. Even just admission to the parks with no ride should cost $78 a day and anyone with an annual pass today is paying much less than that. WDW is actually a huge bargin today when compared to College tuition.
College and WDW are both overpriced, higher education more so.

tpoly88

Here for the comments. This is peak pixie duster. I honestly don’t get when people do comparisons like this and not just Disney.
i agree you cannot compare WDW to and six flags, bush gardens or hershey park even. Six Flags great adventure in NJ during the summer a lot of the rides dont work because of brown outs and its filthy. things have gotten more expensive but thats part of keeping the parks in the shape they are. i see a lot people complain this doesnt work or this is not painted but the parks are clean and for the most part in good shape considering the beating they take daily. it takes a lot to run WDW (its bigger than San Francisco) and so many moving parts. i still enjoy the experience and i make new ones when we go by doing different tours or tying something new.

For the value I get for my family, yes IMO they are over priced. I think we have outgrown Disney vacations.
Having said that after just returning from a trip I am reminded why they are so expensive at least compared to other theme parks in the US that I have been too.
The crowded walkways, restaurants and long ride lines are no different than other theme parks. You are basically paying to get in to their property and to spend the majority of that time either in lines, or spending even more money on food/gifts/snacks. The amount of time spent on actual rides/shows is a fraction of the time you wait around to do or see them. That is the same no matter what theme park you go to. It shouldn't cost you any more money to do those things at Disney than it does at six flags but it does because there is a big difference between those places.
What makes Disney different is the theming and details in everything in those parks. There is nothing (or at least very little) that looks out of place whether it be in ride ques, restaurants or restrooms. Disney does a great job of taking you somewhere else while your waiting in line, or eating, and in some cases using the restroom LOL.
Not to mention that the service at Disney is pretty much unmatched by other theme parks. Even with the staff shortages they are having, the CM's were wonderfully helpful and friendly and the parks were spotless.
That is why we pay the big bucks for those tickets.

Just for reference, the 5 day tickets for my family were about equal to my ds's first semesters tuition. That of course was due while we were at WDW 😂

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom