Are the parks getting dirtier?

VoiceGuy07

If you see trash on the ground in Disney, pick it up (provided it's not too grody). Be the change you wish to see in the (Walt Disney) World.

I know this may sound a bit nuts but I pick up as much trash as I can when I'm visiting the parks (not a cast member). Have long admired Disney for its cleanliness and anything I can do to keep the dream alive, I'm all in! But I do have a grody threshold!

Goofyernmost

I've only seen cigarettes littered around every now and then. I've noticed that many people seem to no longer care about the designated smoking sections, and smoke where they please. The worst case of this was when I saw a cigarette floating in the Splash Mtn water :depressed:. Or seeing a man smoke his cigarette in the middle of the 7DMT queue..
As an X-smoker this type of thinking really upsets me. In a group of thousands of people you saw A cigarette floating in Splash mtn and you saw A man smoke in the middle of the queue. That just condemns all those that do their best to go to the designated zones and cancels out all their efforts to be courteous. There will always be people that either refuse to follow rules of social behavior or are ignorant of the rules or just ignorant. Look in the designated areas, which in some cases have loosely defined boundary's, and see the number of people there dealing with their addiction in a spot that they were told they could and really don't want to upset or offend anyone else. That's how one looks at the positive and makes it more of an encouragement to smokers to follow the rules. If they are going to be looked on with angry looks, it will be totally counter productive, I can assure you. Who knows how that cigarette got in the water of Splash Mtn. The wind could have blown it in from an ashtray which is fairly close to Splash. The man in the queue, should have been dealt with by security as soon as it was noticed. If Disney doesn't enforce it then it will just get worse.

afar28

As an X-smoker this type of thinking really upsets me. In a group of thousands of people you saw A cigarette floating in Splash mtn and you saw A man smoke in the middle of the queue. That just condemns all those that do their best to go to the designated zones and cancels out all their efforts to be courteous. There will always be people that either refuse to follow rules of social behavior or are ignorant of the rules or just ignorant. Look in the designated areas, which in some cases have loosely defined boundary's, and see the number of people there dealing with their addiction in a spot that they were told they could and really don't want to upset or offend anyone else. That's how one looks at the positive and makes it more of an encouragement to smokers to follow the rules. If they are going to be looked on with angry looks, it will be totally counter productive, I can assure you. Who knows how that cigarette got in the water of Splash Mtn. The wind could have blown it in from an ashtray which is fairly close to Splash. The man in the queue, should have been dealt with by security as soon as it was noticed. If Disney doesn't enforce it then it will just get worse.
I have no issues with people who smoke in the designated areas (which would be 95% of people), both my parents did that all the time when I was younger as they were fairly heavy smokers.
but it just seems that more people simply don't care about that today, then say 10 years ago in my observations at least. Didn't mean to offend anyone, I'm sorry if if sounded that way.

Goofyernmost

I have no issues with people who smoke in the designated areas (which would be 95% of people), both my parents did that all the time when I was younger as they were fairly heavy smokers.
but it just seems that more people simply don't care about that today, then say 10 years ago in my observations at least. Didn't mean to offend anyone, I'm sorry if if sounded that way.
The following is not being said because I am offended. I'm not at all. I quit smoking, but, I know what the process was to do so, it's just that I'm not sure what you are saying. Do you mean that more smokers do not care whether they smoke in designated areas? If so then you are absolutely incorrect. Way more do that now then ever before and they do it willingly without any upset on their part at all. If you go back about 20 years you would find a whole different world and considering the extent of the habit, and believe me, it is a strong one, smokers have tried their best to not be offending or pushing their habit on others. The number of people that defy that trend are few and far between.

Smokers do care, and that is why it is so disheartening when people intentionally walk through a smoking area fake coughing as if they just got hit with mustard gas and looking at smokers like they are the devil incarnated. It really does get to the point where you want to blow smoke in their faces. Or are 100 feet away and wave there arms like they are being chased by a group of angry bees. It's hard to take that seriously and sometimes smokers just say to hell with it, and go against their own better judgment. Here's a group of people that are taking that stuff directly into their lungs and, at the time at least, are having no ill affects and there goes someone walking by that is so concerned about second hand smoke that they are just plain obnoxious about it even though they are probably getting about 1 part per 30 billion parts of air. They aren't about to fall over dead. Yet, all those people got there via a motorized vehicle pumping tons of carbon monoxide and carbons into the air we all breath. It's hypocritical and unfair. It's not that quitting is not what needs to happen, it's just that one cannot force that by being a jerk about it.

If you are talking about people are not courteous enough to allow someone to deal with their own problems and feel that they must push to the limit and beyond that will circle around and get more people to be rebellious then cooperative. If you had really walked the parks over the last 20 years you would see how fewer smokers in general are out there now then there used to be and most of them are doing there best not to endanger anyone else but themselves. I remember when you could, legally, smoke in the queue lines, in every restaurant, everywhere but on the rides themselves. There was a special group of custodial people that were very stealth like that hid in the shadows and as soon as a cigarette hit the ground they were out there picking it up. That's how large the problem was back then. The fact that they aren't needed anymore is probably a very good reason why the parks aren't as constantly clean as they used to be as well as a testament as to how much better it is now.

There are many guests in WDW that are from foreign countries that do not have the smoking restriction that we have here. Go to Disneyland Paris and it is practically a solid cloud of smoke. Some just are not used to not just lighting up whenever they feel like it. They are not doing it to be obstinate, they are just doing what they are used to doing. When you consider that society has managed to change the addictive habits of so many over just the last 20 years it is amazing and that wouldn't have been possible without the cooperation of those that knew what they were doing was not the smartest thing to be doing and made some major strides in stopping or at least not exposing everyone else to it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom