Are the dining plans cost effective?

Ah, the old dining plan equation! When I took my trip last year, I planned far in advance and calculated this with an Excel workbook. I had two sheets, both with the restaurants I wanted to eat at (and ultimately made reservations for). One had what I'd get on the dining plan, one had what I'd get without the dining plan along with prices (as opposed to the fixed cost).

Over the course of the five days, I saved close to $100 by foregoing the dining plan.

Here are some reasons why:

1. I don't drink soda/pop. When it gets included with a meal, you lose.

2. I also don't really snack. I'll have ice cream now and then, but the three occasions when I did were relatively cheap out of pocket (the exception being the day I got the Kitchen Sink at Beaches & Cream, which was more or less a bucket list item).

3. Not all days are good for breakfast. I'll have a nice character breakfast on EPCOT or AK day, but if I'm going somewhere with larger scale rides, I don't want to be losing said breakfast. I'll simply have a nice lunch instead after going around MGM or Magic Kingdom for a while. Even when I rode Tower of Terror for the first time as an 8 ½ year old, I didn't eat breakfast beforehand.

4. None of the plans seem to include appetizer salads. Most of the time, I'll prefer a salad to a dessert (unless there's exceptional ice cream somewhere, it is my weakness).

5. I really have no need for refillable mugs.

Your mileage may and will vary, but I found the dining plan to be a ripoff. The ONLY day that I would have saved a few dollars was when I booked Cinderella's Royal Table and Flying Fish on the same day, but the other days more than made up for that...by a country mile.

CaptainAmerica

I have kept my receipts from trips using the dining plan and when I total them after the trip, I've always saved money.
Yes, you saved money based on what you ordered. The error most people make is that they assume the things they ordered with the DDP are they same things they would have ordered if they were paying cash. For example, your receipt might include an $8 desert that you only ordered because it was included in the DDP. If you weren't really hungry for desert, your calculated "savings" are artificially high.

daringstoic

I put a lot of thought into this when I booked my last big WDW trip. I even had a spreadsheet to calculate things out. I concluded that if we ordered everything that came with the dining plan for every meal (drinks, food, desserts, etc) we'd save money by being on the DDP. However, looking at the menus and prices for the restaurants I had booked for table service and the typical QS places I like to eat, I realized that I'd never order that much food. I'm a pretty small eater and like to order kids' meals at QS when I can. Based on my estimations of the food we were likely to order (entree and probably a Coke at each meal - this was before booze was included) if we were paying out of pocket, the DDP would've cost us way more. I decided against it and based on what we spent, that was the correct decision for us.

My last trip was a quick 3-day long weekend with a split stay between hotels and I very nearly got the DDP for the single-night we stayed at DAKL. We had an ADR booked for dinner and then breakfast and we would've broken nearly even on whatever the top-tier plan is called, but decided against it because we still weren't likely to order appetizers, drinks, etc and definitely didn't need mugs for the hotel for the half-day we spent there.

Basically, it all comes down to your party and how you eat. My 6'4" boyfriend would probably get his money's worth on the DDP. I never would.

mtfarlin

After visiting WDW 50+ times and using the various Dining Plans over the years I believe it is worth it. I am planning my first visit to Disneyland next summer in June of 2019. They offer no type dining plans out there as they are dependent on the local visitors instead of those coming in from afar, so everything food wise is paid out of pocket and it is a sticker shock to me to say the least!! Prices for everything seem to be generally higher out in Disneyland and I realize the incomes are higher out in CA too. I am just beginning to do my research I have come to realize what a good deal the Disney Dining Plan is at WDW for convenience and cost per person. Just saying I think it is worth it and I will miss having it.

msdroz

It depends on how much you typically eat during vacation, and keep in mind a theme park vacation.

Since we spend so much for daily tickets, we try to get the most bang for our buck and spend a lot of time on rides and attractions. We feel like the dining plan causes you to take too long of breaks to eat and time away from the rides. For that reason, we prefer quick service and grab and go type options for food so we can be enjoying the parks.

Everyone is different though and some really love sitting down and relaxing. I can do that at home :)

Daddyoh

Not real sure if Dining Plans are cost effective. When our family goes to WDW and as DVC members we are usually in a 1 or 2 bedroom which has a kitchen so we may eat here. While in the parks we just usually snack so we graze throughout the day. I've been told that when you don't have the kitchen option that the plan is beneficial and through experience I see that you wind up having a lot of useless snacks left over at the end of your stay which you don't want to leave hanging.

allisonmomofthree

We did the free dining when they had it and there were 5 of us.. So worth it, especially for the character dining!! We ended up with lots of snacks at the end so we had alot of snacks for the ride home!!

rose2617

Earlier this month we chose not to pay for a dining plan for the first time. Reasons: Cannot eat all the food, my daughter and I chose to split our entries this time and would rather have an Mickey ice cream bar than forcing a dessert after eating a full meal. Very happy with our choice and the cost was less.

Trigger782

After many trips I have found great value for our family of 4, 2 under 10, to be in having the Standard 1 TS DDP. I don't think enough can be said for the convenience of entering "The World" without any real financial care in the world beyond a tip(which I was going to do regardless) and the occasional souvenir. Sure it requires advanced planning(not for everyone), but I think many of us enjoy that part almost as much as the experience itself. The math would suggest with 2 adults 2 kids, if you are booking TS "experiences" as opposed to meals you will reach your break even point quickly greatly reducing your dependence on creating "artificial" value in things like CS meals, mugs, or snacks. There clearly isn't a right or wrong answer for everyone and for every "must have" there is a matching "not worth it"....

Hcalvert

My husband and I had this discussion last week for our next trip in 2021. In the past, we have paid for the dining plan because our children were younger and wanted to participate in the character dining. Besides, they are only $20-$25 a day for a kid under 10. In 2021, both children will be considered "adults" for dining, so I rather pay out of pocket than whatever price it will be per adult. We will not be going to character dining locations, so I think the dining plan will no longer be worth it for us. We did get it for our trip that is starting in less than a week.

ppet

Yes, you saved money based on what you ordered. The error most people make is that they assume the things they ordered with the DDP are they same things they would have ordered if they were paying cash. For example, your receipt might include an $8 desert that you only ordered because it was included in the DDP. If you weren't really hungry for desert, your calculated "savings" are artificially high.
For myself and my family we do like to have desert when on vacation. Also with the changes to the DDP for 2018 and the fact that my family is all over 21, I expect to save money based on adding "adult beverages" I definitely do not mean to imply that the DDP is right for everyone, but as said in an earlier post paraphrasing "Check the figures and decide" What is right for one family/group can be so wrong for another. Last note very few of the people I have spoken with after they make a trip using the DDP have been dissatisfied.

Minnesota disney fan

As everyone has said above, it depends on your appetites, likes and needs, and the size of your party.
We used to get free dining when it first came out and liked it.
Now, we are older adults, and we don't eat much. We share meals, skip meals, or just wouldn't get much value in the ddp.
As for the convenience of prepaid, we just use our magic bands with our credit card on it, and pay it off with an itemized bill at the end of our trip. That is convenient for us, maybe much too convenient!
We like not having to be at a certain place for an adr, and not having to eat something we really don't want or need just to use the dining credits. We are much happier this way, but I can see how it works out for larger groups and those who eat more.

John park hopper

Don't know if the dinning plan would be a good option for us (Wife and Me) she is not a big eater and general makes an appetizer her meal. Our next trip we are going to bring breakfast food and stuff for lunch as we will take a mid afternoon break. Go back late afternoon for sit down meal.

CaptainAmerica

Don't know if the dinning plan would be a good option for us (Wife and Me) she is not a big eater and general makes an appetizer her meal. Our next trip we are going to bring breakfast food and stuff for lunch as we will take a mid afternoon break. Go back late afternoon for sit down meal.
No, the dining plan would be an absolutely horrible option for you.

dieboy

Dining plan .. oh my.
Soo.. the dining plan assumes you will eat like a horse while on vacation, regardless of your natural food consumption at home. While I do splurge a little, a good desert here or there, I don't eat much differently than at home. Therefor, stuffing my face to make the most of the plan, i have absolutely no interest in.

If I were to venture a guess this is highly profitable for Disney, as they have kept this deal around quite some time. Keep in mind Disney will not let money bleed for long. I am absolutely positive, this plan makes them money. However, some folks, I'd say defiantly less than 40% (to keep a good margin) get their moneys worth out of it. Not enough for Disney to loose money over it.

Nothing is free in Disney, and rarely a good deal is a good deal :). That magic works all kinds of ways.

John park hopper

Dining plan .. oh my.
Soo.. the dining plan assumes you will eat like a horse while on vacation, regardless of your natural food consumption at home. While I do splurge a little, a good desert here or there, I don't eat much differently than at home. Therefor, stuffing my face to make the most of the plan, i have absolutely no interest in.

If I were to venture a guess this is highly profitable for Disney, as they have kept this deal around quite some time. Keep in mind Disney will not let money bleed for long. I am absolutely positive, this plan makes them money. However, some folks, I'd say defiantly less than 40% (to keep a good margin) get their moneys worth out of it. Not enough for Disney to loose money over it.

Nothing is free in Disney, and rarely a good deal is a good deal :). That magic works all kinds of ways.

Exactly and to offset the recent parking fee $100+ extra fror a 7 day stay plus other increases we will be eating less in the parks and bringing more from home as we drive and can bring a igloo cooler full plus stock the in room refrigerator. Our last stay we brought a compact small microwave (no one said anything on way or the other) will do the same next trip

LeiaSolo2015

My fiance and I ALWAYS use the dining plan, because it is just more convenient for us being we eat signature meals each night. We are foodies for sure so half of our vacay is eating to our hearts content throughtout our stay. We will be going to Disney World in about 21 days, and we always keep all of our receipts. I will add everything up at the end of our trip and see where were at and whether or not it is truly worth it.

For our stay from June 21-June 26 our dining is costing us roughly $553 each for the Deluxe Dining Plan.

Normally we've always come out ahead due to our larger parties, but for this trip it will only be the two of us. I will update my post after my stay! :)

ppet

Dining plan .. oh my.

I do tend to eat more on a Disney trip than any other vacation. I think that is due to the fact that I don't log half the miles on other vacations that I do at WDW. not only do I eat more but I also lose weight on most trips. Maybe the most expensive diet plan ever, but I could definitely stick with this one.

dieboy

I do tend to eat more on a Disney trip than any other vacation. I think that is due to the fact that I don't log half the miles on other vacations that I do at WDW. not only do I eat more but I also lose weight on most trips. Maybe the most expensive diet plan ever, but I could definitely stick with this one.
Like I mentioned, some people get the most value out of the dining plan and come out ahead. I'm willing to bet a good percentage of the people who actually benefit from the plan are either very large families or members of these forums.

spock8113

There is a wide variation here from everyone.
I think there are too many variables based on how many days, how many family members, how often they eat and how much they eat.
For me, we went on the meal plan early one year and it was ok,
I just didn't like having to waste my theme park time on watching how many meals and what restaurants I could use, etc.
The second visit later that year we did no meal plan and kept all our receipts.

For us....and I repeat, for us (avg. family of 4)........they were almost identical give or take $20-$30 of the total.
I like free-range theme-parking rather than having to watch all that stuff and get a mild case of Parkrage® in the process.

I hate wasting food and desserts, which I really don't eat, and they are wasted.
While on vacation, we all eat too much as it is, so for me...me, forget the desserts and let me have another meal.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom