Are MagicBands Needed?

FarmerBill

Are these bands a "nice to have", or actually needed? We are getting the Genie+ for the family (6 adults), so we plan on using the Genie app throughout the days.

DisneyfanMA

WDW uses NFC not barcodes. So instead of bringing up the barcode and scanning, you need to bring up the right ticket, tap it, get the next ticket, tap and so on.
Not sure if it takes much longer or not, but it is different.

Yep. and it offloads the management more to the end user to be on the ball. I'm convinced the magic bands are going to be worth it, if I can get them. Still not seeing them widely avail for purchase on disney stores.

Upvote 0

DisneyfanMA

Just to update I went ahead and bought solid color MB2 for each of us. They were $19.99 ea and arrived in about a week or so. I would have loved to avoid spending more money, but you guys convinced me that trying to use my phone to check 5 of us into rides etc was going to be a huge PITA. For a trip of this length and expense the $100 was worth it. I skipped MB+ due to increased cost and the shipping delays. We only really want them to check into park and onto rides and thats that.

Plus the bands will go into the children's prize box along with a few other small goodies when we reveal the trip. So I'm glad I got them.

Thanks to all for the advice.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ceecee101

I don’t see any difference between a Magic Band and an Apple Watch with the passes loaded. We only have 2 people though, but we have used my watch for concerts, games, etc. Takes 2 second to tap the Watch. Am I missing something? We haven’t been to WDW in over 10 years. DH hates watches and wouldn’t like wearing a MB all day, plus we obviously don’t own any

Upvote 0

Rob562

I don’t see any difference between a Magic Band and an Apple Watch with the passes loaded. We only have 2 people though, but we have used my watch for concerts, games, etc. Takes 2 second to tap the Watch. Am I missing something? We haven’t been to WDW in over 10 years. DH hates watches and wouldn’t like wearing a MB all day, plus we obviously don’t own any
Just like how self-checkout at stores where some people breeze right through while others seem completely stymied by the process, it all comes down to how adept the user is with the technology and juggling more than one pass on your device.

I don't use an Apple watch or iPhone, but on my trip in April, every time I got stuck behind someone having issues at a tap point, they were trying to use an iPhone. Obviously that doesn't mean that ALL people using the watch or phone had issues, but it does imply that for a certain percentage of the population the MagicBand level of technology interaction is easier than the phone/watch level.

-Rob

Upvote 0

ceecee101

The ride photos would look for you since you have the MB. The others in your party may or may not be in the photo depending on the ride.

Sorry, but no, the Apple Watch does not work for the ride photos.
I am confused about this. We have Memory Maker purchased already. So Magic Mobile does not work for ride photos then? The Apple Watch with the passes is no different from a IPhone with passes. Or will I need to pull out our hard tickets? Sorry haven’t been in over 10 years so no idea about this

Upvote 0

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I am confused about this. We have Memory Maker purchased already. So Magic Mobile does not work for ride photos then? The Apple Watch with the passes is no different from a IPhone with passes. Or will I need to pull out our hard tickets? Sorry haven’t been in over 10 years so no idea about this
The WDW website does state that the Magic Mobile pass should work for ride photos as well, as long as it is linked to your iPhone and watch, it should work. Even though we have both iPhones and Apple watches, we still prefer a MB when at the parks.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom