Are Magic Bands essential?

Ldno

Are they even needed that much now? With fast passes gone, how much have they been integral to the parks other than getting inside And photopass spots?

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Are they even needed that much now? With fast passes gone, how much have they been integral to the parks other than getting inside And photopass spots?

During the pandemic we have been encouraged to be as contactless as possible so I'd say its actually more useful NOW than ever before to have a magic band particularly if you are an onsite guest so that you can pay without having to exchange cash or cards.

Ldno

During the pandemic we have been encouraged to be as contactless as possible so I'd say its actually more useful NOW than ever before to have a magic band particularly if you are an onsite guest so that you can pay without having to exchange cash or cards.
As much as contactless some other stores enforce, I get irritated whenever I have to touch a pen to sign anything be paper or digital, I completely forgot about the payment methods, thanks for the friendly reminder!!1

Disstevefan1

Can magic bands be loaded with a finite amount of money like a gift card or must they be linked to a credit card? I always wanted to use the magic band as payment but always fell back to gift cards. For example I love the mini gift cards used at F@W, very convenient!

Rob562

Can magic bands be loaded with a finite amount of money like a gift card or must they be linked to a credit card? I always wanted to use the magic band as payment but always fell back to gift cards. For example I love the mini gift cards used at F@W, very convenient!

No, the MagicBand only charges back to a Room Charge account at a Disney resort. However that charge account can be paid down by a gift card if you so choose. (Though I do know that they changed up how the room charge system sends charges to your card, so you might want to check on that with the front desk)

-Rob

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No

Adding to what PP said no gift cards cannot be linked. Basically you are charging to your room reservation and at check out or after you go above a certain amount they will then charge it to your credit card on file.
You can go to the front desk every so often to use gift cards to pay down the charges.
However at that point I personally think its just as easy to carry the gift card and use it.
I do believe that they have people working on plans to somehow allow for gift cards to be linked and for offsite guests to be able to use their magic bands to charge things by allowing a card linked to their My Disney Experience account to be directly linked to the magic band.

Last edited:

mergatroid

I just find the bands convenient more than anything. Having dystonia my co-ordination isn't great so not having to fumble in my pockets for a card makes things easier. It's no big deal using a card and I've plenty of secure pockets in my cargo shorts, but I do prefer the band if I'm honest. The only downside to the bands I've encountered in the past is occasionally somebody brushes against you and knocks your band. This can result in the little 'bumps' that connect into the holes coming out, making the band fall off your wrist. Fortunately the two times this has happened, I've instantly felt it and picked it up straight away.

NelleBelle

As far as charging with the MB, they're still having you enter a security pin with each purchase, so you still have to "touch" a gross pin pad, right? Blech--I hate pin pads at the moment!!! They're just gross. 🤢

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
As far as charging with the MB, they're still having you enter a security pin with each purchase, so you still have to "touch" a gross pin pad, right? Blech--I hate pin pads at the moment!!! They're just gross. 🤢

If you didn't have an issue with them prior to Covid then there's no reason to think they are that gross now.
They are more clean than they have ever been...

NelleBelle

If you didn't have an issue with them prior to Covid then there's no reason to think they are that gross now.
They are more clean than they have ever been...
😂 LOL-- I thought they were gross before! The germ-freak in me didn't like to touch anything and there were some rides that seriously skeeved me out. But I guess I can always just use Apple Pay.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
😂 LOL-- I thought they were gross before! The germ-freak in me didn't like to touch anything and there were some rides that seriously skeeved me out. But I guess I can always just use Apple Pay.

Oh, Okay it would make sense then if you've just never liked touching things.
The bolded part is what gave me the idea that you did not have an issue before.

JohnD

MBs are still helpful for opening your room door and charging to your room. The app is clever but I found I had to go through too many steps standing in front of the door to get the app to open the door. With the MB, I just tap and I'm in. The MB is also still good for consolidating all of your WDW charges to your room. Finally, of course, it's still helpful for entering a park. The one tap (without reading your finger) reads that you have valid ticket media and a park reservation at the same time.

Minnesota disney fan

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I wish magic bands would stay forever! I was against them when they first came out, LOL.
It was such a nice touch to get them before your trip; just something special:)

OP, we don't have a smart phone either, and would use old MB's when we go again. They are still active for quite a while, I believe?
We're not luddites. We have laptops, kindle, and Ipod touch(which I love). But don't care for carrying a phone around everywhere. I have an old flip phone which I don't even turn on unless I know someone is going to try and get hold of me.

We go to the kiosks for more fp's (before covid), and never had a problem finding or use them.

So you can do it without a phone if you want. Might mean a little more work, but we would do it. Good luck, and hope you get your trip to WDW soon!

Rob562

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I wish magic bands would stay forever! I was against them when they first came out, LOL.
It was such a nice touch to get them before your trip; just something special:)

OP, we don't have a smart phone either, and would use old MB's when we go again. They are still active for quite a while, I believe?
We're not luddites. We have laptops, kindle, and Ipod touch(which I love). But don't care for carrying a phone around everywhere. I have an old flip phone which I don't even turn on unless I know someone is going to try and get hold of me.

We go to the kiosks for more fp's (before covid), and never had a problem finding or use them.

So you can do it without a phone if you want. Might mean a little more work, but we would do it. Good luck, and hope you get your trip to WDW soon!

There are no current plans to discontinue MagicBands entirely. Disney is simply ending the practice of providing new, free Bands with every reservation. All existing Bands will continue to function indefinitely for all tap-to-use functions.

-Rob

Minnesota disney fan

There are no current plans to discontinue MagicBands entirely. Disney is simply ending the practice of providing new, free Bands with every reservation. All existing Bands will continue to function indefinitely for all tap-to-use functions.

-Rob
That's good to know. I thought they were phasing them out so everyone would use their phones?
Thanks so much. I feel better.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom