Are DVC owners with Spec rentals being left holding the reservation?

Minthorne

Original Poster
Over the years the DVC rental market has changed. The recent trend seems to be DVC owners that are scooping up desirable reservations and then attempting to rent them. As of late I am seeing more and more of these "spec" reservations still listed on other boards well within the 30 day mark and looking for a renter.

Does anyone have any experience - are these DVC owners finding it harder to rent to "spec" rental and being left with points in holding (or a trip they have to take or loose out)? The rewards are sure there if you can rent them at $19-22 a point, but the risk seems high too.

I've rented points from other owners in the past, but now I have the number of points that suit me so I haven't rented in several years. I've never rented my points out but I wonder if doing this is worth while.

Last edited:

deeevo

Over the years the DVC rental market has changed. The recent tend seems to be DVC owners that are scooping up desirable reservations and then attempting to rent them. As of late I am seeing more and more of these "spec" reservations still listed on other boards well within the 30 day mark and looking for a renter.

Does anyone have any experience - are these DVC owners finding it harder to rent to "spec" rental and being left with points in holding (or a trip they have to take or loose out)? The rewards are sure there if you can rent them at $19-22 a point, but the risk seems high too.

I've rented points from other owners in the past, but now I have the number of points that suit me so I haven't rented in several years. I've never rented my points out but I wonder if doing this is worth while.

Given the price of rack rates right now a lot of people including myself would rather rent points from someone than book a rack rate room. Even with my AP discount the prices are getting absurd. We rented point last year at Poly and I would do it again 100%. Problem I have is finding the availability for the nights I want.

nickys

Premium Member
Over the years the DVC rental market has changed. The recent trend seems to be DVC owners that are scooping up desirable reservations and then attempting to rent them. As of late I am seeing more and more of these "spec" reservations still listed on other boards well within the 30 day mark and looking for a renter.

If you’re talking about the DIS, I think they have a policy that you can’t advertise spec rentals further out than 30 days.

From Mouseowners, some renters are very successful at renting out spec rentals, and often at very high rates too.

correcaminos

If inside 30 days they are just trying not to lose points to holding.

For super popular times outside of that window, I think are doing okay. Not something I'd do personally.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom