Are DLR animatronics generally better?

CheekBoys

Original Poster
I was just watching a video of POTC at Disneyland and then watched one of the WDW version and I noticed the animatronics at DLR (particularly Jack Sparrow) looked better, this could be a result of bad maintenance at WDW but they looked like they had more motion at DLR. Here are the videos.
DLR:

WDW:

Californian Elitist

At first, I couldn't really tell a difference. I watched the videos multiple times... The redhead, the pirate musicians and the whistling prisoners do move more at Disneyland. Jack seems to move the same, for the most part.

Marc Gil

It really depends on the ride and the time that you visit.

For example, when I rode Splash Mountain at Disneyland back in August, many animatronics were either turned off or in B-Mode. 2 weeks later when I returned to Florida and visited WDW, I rode Splash Mountain, finding it a lot better maintained than it's Disneyland counterpart.

Like I said before, it just depends on the ride and the time that you visit...

But generally speaking, I agree that Disneyland does have better maintenance.

FerretAfros

Generally speaking, maintenance at DLR is better. But WDW has far more AA's, so they also have more AA experts on staff who can fix things. I remember reading many years ago during DL's POTC Jack Sparrow redo, they had to 'import' a bunch of AA folks from WDW to get the work done, since there wasn't anybody with the knowledge on the west coast

As far as "signature" AA's (high-quality figures that aren't on both coasts), DL really only has Lincoln, while WDW has the Wicked Witch, SiR (or whatever he's called now), Stitch, Will Rogers, and Benjamin Franklin, plus a whole slew of 'supporting cast' that DLR's never had. To me, DL is known for having tons of rides in a very small space, while WDW (especially MK) is known for its AA extravaganzas

But as always, it depends which exact moment you're talking about, since things can look particularly good or bad depending on specific effects that may not be working

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
I can't say I've ever noticed much of a difference in the AAs. I've seen poor/non-moving AAs on both coasts. I know for sure that Splash Mountain's AAs look miles better at MK. It really depends on when you visit... there will always be those "off" days anywhere you go.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Generally speaking, maintenance at DLR is better. But WDW has far more AA's, so they also have more AA experts on staff who can fix things. I remember reading many years ago during DL's POTC Jack Sparrow redo, they had to 'import' a bunch of AA folks from WDW to get the work done, since there wasn't anybody with the knowledge on the west coast

i find that hard to believe considering the engineering/design group that builds them is just a short hop away in Glendale and their prime AA contractor is also in Cali

FerretAfros

i find that hard to believe considering the engineering/design group that builds them is just a short hop away in Glendale and their prime AA contractor is also in Cali
Designers don't necessarily translate into people who can perform maintenance or build new figures. If it's anything like most design systems, one designer can pump out far more work than one builder could ever keep up with, so they would need to call in the reinforcements.

Also keep in mind that this was circa 2005, when Garner Holt was definitely helping out but long before they scored the big contract to build all the AA's.

Again, I don't know whether it's true or not, but that's what multiple sources were saying at the time (circa spring 2006)

flynnibus

Premium Member
Designers don't necessarily translate into people who can perform maintenance or build new figures

But they are built in Cali and shipped to site. Maintanance is one thing.. and maybe they needed people's input on how to make them better for servicing or some specific reliability feedback.. but the idea that the only place anyone knew anything about building AAs was onsite in FL just flies in the face of everything.

Also keep in mind that this was circa 2005, when Garner Holt was definitely helping out but long before they scored the big contract to build all the AA's.

GH was a primary contractor for Disney long before they got the big 'outsource it all' contract.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom