Are compression shorts effective?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Have any of you given compression shorts a try? On our longer runs (upwards of 10 miles), my hips and upper legs are getting sore, and i really feel it the next day. I'm assuming that most of it just because I am new to running and still need to build stamina, but I was wondering if compression shorts may help things a little.

Thanks

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Have any of you given compression shorts a try? On our longer runs (upwards of 10 miles), my hips and upper legs are getting sore, and i really feel it the next day. I'm assuming that most of it just because I am new to running and still need to build stamina, but I was wondering if compression shorts may help things a little.

Thanks
I have been wearing compression tights for about 2 weeks and I cant tell a difference in my soreness. Im still sore. Granted, I am wearing a Nike product and I think that their products are far inferior to other big name brands. It was on sale and that was all I could afford. Im sure the higher end compression short/pants are nice, I just havent noticed any difference except that my legs are a bit warmer.

lukacseven

I have been wearing compression tights for about 2 weeks and I cant tell a difference in my soreness. Im still sore. Granted, I am wearing a Nike product and I think that their products are far inferior to other big name brands. It was on sale and that was all I could afford. Im sure the higher end compression short/pants are nice, I just havent noticed any difference except that my legs are a bit warmer.

I think the key is whether or not they are tights or compression shorts/pants. Nike may use the term compression, but you are basically getting lycra/spandex tights, designed for warmth. Check other brands like CWX, where the products are designed specifically for support.

I personally prefer the more traditional short, baggy shorts, but I ran a half a few weeks ago with the CEP compression calf sleeves and loved them. They definitely made a difference (see thread on compression socks).

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The general consensus in the literature indicates that they have little effect outside of comfort and, in the case of shorts, preventing chafing. They do tend to increase the muscle temperature a little which has the effect of dulling muscle pain but does not really do anything to lower recovery time.

If it is muscle pain you might want to try adding an amino acid supplement post workout.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
I can't tell the difference in terms of soreness. I'm always sore no matter what I'm wearing.

However, in terms of comfort, wind-resistent, moisture-wicking, breathable, and just keeping stuff in place, they work just fine.

Soreness is always going to be a part of running, there's no way around it regardless of what type of clothing you're wearing. A morphine drip might get rid of soreness during your run, but I think race officials frown upon that :lookaroun.

Jokes aside, just try and establish, for yourself, what the normal running pains are versus a serious problem/injury. If they are normal running pains, just try and push through it. Good luck!

Phonedave

I wear combo compression shorts with 'normal' shorts over them. If I am wearing wind pants I wear compression shorts under them.

I makes little to no difference in soreness. But it makes a world of difference when it comes to chafing and as someone else said "keeping things in place"

-dave

joel_maxwell

I think the key is whether or not they are tights or compression shorts/pants. Nike may use the term compression, but you are basically getting lycra/spandex tights, designed for warmth. Check other brands like CWX, where the products are designed specifically for support.

I personally prefer the more traditional short, baggy shorts, but I ran a half a few weeks ago with the CEP compression calf sleeves and loved them. They definitely made a difference (see thread on compression socks).
I think they are just "tights". Like I said, I just needed them for warmth, and they were the right price. Truthfully, I still hate Nike.

I wear combo compression shorts with 'normal' shorts over them. If I am wearing wind pants I wear compression shorts under them.

I makes little to no difference in soreness. But it makes a world of difference when it comes to chafing and as someone else said "keeping things in place"

-dave
To steal a line from Tosh.O...." and for that, we thank you." :lol:

I wear tights combo'd with shorts too Dave. I really dont like it when men wear only compression tights and that is it. Im sorry, it isnt anything other than, I really dont want to see the outline of your junk like it had been put in a vacuum food saver bag. Now, the slightly thicker shorts that athletes wear for mini tri's and/or sprints, that is fine. I respect that.

Just thought Id add.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Thanks for the feedback guys

Anytime. Since you are a newbie, you will figure out what works and what doesn't in terms of gear, and nutrition, etc... with time.

Remember, everyone is different and what works for one, may not work for someone else.

Good luck! And if you have any questions, post 'e,m or just ask Phonedave!

JillC LI

II wear tights combo'd with shorts too Dave. I really dont like it when men wear only compression tights and that is it. Im sorry, it isnt anything other than, I really dont want to see the outline of your junk like it had been put in a vacuum food saver bag. Now, the slightly thicker shorts that athletes wear for mini tri's and/or sprints, that is fine. I respect that.

Just thought Id add.

Maybe I'm giddy at the end of the work day, but you people are cracking me up. Vacuum food saver bag?! Priceless.

joel_maxwell

Anytime. Since you are a newbie, you will figure out what works and what doesn't in terms of gear, and nutrition, etc... with time.

Remember, everyone is different and what works for one, may not work for someone else.

True

& True. Ask Dave or Jill

Maybe I'm giddy at the end of the work day, but you people are cracking me up. Vacuum food saver bag?! Priceless.
:D I have always fancied analogies.

Phonedave

Because I DO have underwear specially designed for running (thread merge there)

-dave

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom