Are Camera Tripods Allowed In The Parks?

scpergj

Are camera tripods allowed into the parks? Thanks in advance.

I've carried mine in no problem, and I know of others that have, too - some on this board. That said, I'm not sure on the official policy - anyone know Disney's official stance on them?

Kamikaze

Are camera tripods allowed into the parks? Thanks in advance.

Yes they are allowed.
Professional photography, however, is not.
What that means is: If they think you're going to try and sell the shots, they'll come and stop you. Or if you're causing some other kind of nuisance setting up the shot.

CP_alum08

Yes they are allowed.
What that means is: If they think you're going to try and sell the shots, they'll come and stop you. Or if you're causing some other kind of nuisance setting up the shot.

I dont know how they would ever know if you were going to sell the photos or not. I know there are people - a few on here - that go to the parks with thousands of dollars worth of photo gear and take pictures without getting hassled. Like the person above said, Im sure Disney has an official stance on this and it would be nice to know what it is for sure.

But to the OP, yes, tripods are allowed...as of now. I think it's Tokyo where they are not allowed. I wouldnt be surprised if all the parks adopted this in the future.

Ziffman

Yes they are allowed.

Huh?? :veryconfu How on earth would they determine if they "think you are going to try and sell the shots"??

Where in the world do some people get their crazy "information"?? :hammer:

Figment1986

I dont know how they would ever know if you were going to sell the photos or not. I know there are people - a few on here - that go to the parks with thousands of dollars worth of photo gear and take pictures without getting hassled. Like the person above said, Im sure Disney has an official stance on this and it would be nice to know what it is for sure.

But to the OP, yes, tripods are allowed...as of now. I think it's Tokyo where they are not allowed. I wouldnt be surprised if all the parks adopted this in the future.

It's also Disneyland Resort, as they have a thing against "Professional equipment" due to paparazzi terrorizing some celebs who visited a few times...

Huh?? :veryconfu How on earth would they determine if they "think you are going to try and sell the shots"??

Actually, it's been said to have happened in the photography forum of this board... people who had nice equipment and security thought they were pros going to sell the shots or whatnot.

Kamikaze

The take an educated guess. Its all about observation.
I've seen it happen.
And I've seen people set up shots (out of the way) for long periods of time and not be bothered. It depends on a lot of factors.
Chances are you won't get bothered. But it is possible.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member

Probably because there have been numerous incidents of WDW Security questioning those with tripods, ensuring they were not professional photographers who could indeed sell their photos for profit.

Anyone can use a tripod or monopod, they just have to be prepared for the possibility (ever so slight as it may be) that security may ask them a question or two. But those guys are also pretty adroit at telling the tourists from the professionals, so I wouldn't be too concerned.:)

bgraham34

I have setup my tripod and never had an issue. I had a security guard come up to me once and he was like you are going to get a real nice shot. He actually waited until the shot was finished and asked to see the shot in the camera.

dreamfinder

Tripod are allowed. However, if you have spiked feet on the bottom for traction you may want to retract/remove them as that could be an issue. Showing up carrying a dozen white lenses, or a Hasselblad back, that stuff you may have issues with. But with the amount of SLR's sold recently they are becoming more and more common and less and less of a hassle.

Figment82

I've been approached by security and even managers a few times while taking photos. These CMs see a nice camera and a semi-large tripod and automatically think you're shooting for National Geographic. It's not their fault, they're just doing their job and they don't know any better. Just tell them you're an amateur photographer who would just like to take nice photos with the aid of a tripod, and you shouldn't have a problem. Just try to stay out of busy areas.

I've also taken a rather large tripod to Disneyland, and never had a problem. I guess it all depends on what's going on in the park at the time, and the individual CMs.

Have fun!

BrennaRN

Tripods are allowed. I've taken mine with no problem and most are very courteous when you are setting up your shots about moving or staying out of your shot. I enjoyed taking mine and hope they don't band them before I can take mine again when my son isn't so small. Right now a tripod + 14 month old won't mix!

Timekeeper

You can take the photographer out of the profession, but you can't take the profession out of the photographer. Thus, the whole "are you a professional" inquiry is quite moot. If I am a professional photographer, my not-for-profit family shots will probably be better than yours. In fact, all of my shots will probably be better than yours, resembling that "professional touch," regardless of equipment used. You can't take experience, training, and talent away from somebody.

Also, just because a photo is taken at a Disney park (or any private property for that matter) does not mean that it can't be sold for profit. The final determination depends on numerous factors.

If tripods were not allowed, then guests would just use quadpods, or other stabilizing devices (clamps, beanbags, etc.) that are not technically tripods. The same silly rule exists in Central Park, NY, and is easily overcome by using other forms of equipment (some, ironically, are more troublesome than tripods!)

Tripods, bodies, and lenses are not what tip off "professional photography" at the parks ...models do. In other words, if I am taking photos of a woman who is dressed up very nice, and I have an assistant holding a reflector next to her, that is what is going to look like "professional photography" and garner inquiries, if any.

Of course, at the end of the day, the policy is mooted by the fact that a simple "no" to the inquiry ends the investigation. :brick:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom