Are animatronics becoming extinct?

nrose101

I didn't here this news...What are they doing now to Spaceship Earth, I though AT&T wasn't sponsoring it anymore...Please don't tell me they are changing it!

Jusjuice

Originally posted by Yen_Sid1
Efforts "were" under way. But because of budget cutbacks, those plans were shelved along with plans of a totally interactive dinosaur "Acrocanthosaurus" in the Cretaceous Trail area of Dinoland. In fact, it is sitting in a parking lot out in Tujunga, CA next to the River Iguanodon.

Is that the walking dinosaur that they announced last year?

Sounds sort of like the Triceratops encounter thing at IOA.......*shudder*.....i wonder if IOA has more AA's than Animal Kingdom.

Dizknee_Phreek

Originally posted by nrose101
I didn't here this news...What are they doing now to Spaceship Earth, I though AT&T wasn't sponsoring it anymore...Please don't tell me they are changing it!

AT&T renewed their contract with Disney, so it's good until 2005. and then it's rumored to become Time Racers which would use a ride system like that of Spiderman from IOA at Universal. or, that's how i understand it, anyway. but remember, that's just a rumor...i don't believe anything's been set in concrete so far.

dox

I truly hope the AAs aren't endangered. Very scary indeed. I'm rather middle of the road to pro in regards to some changes at Epcot. But it is rather disheartening to get rid of what essentially amounts to 3D animation somthing Walt really loved. But I don't think they are gone for good. EE will have one of the largest AAs ever built for Disney and according to Lee the AAs may not be totally gone from SSE. Here's hoping.

dox

Grizzly - You forgot the Mickey Mouse Revue that was removed in 1982 and transferred over to Tokyo DL. Maybe not the best AAs, but i still remember my last time seeing that show. Poor thing never had a chance to become a classic, which it deserved to be.

meeko_33785

IMO, animatronics will never become a thing of the past at WDW in the percievable future. Many of the classic rides at WDW, and MK in particular, are filled with them (PoC, HM, CBJ, IASW, SplM, BTMRR, ect.) I can't ever see a time when Disney would get rid of some of these attractions mentioned. If they did, it would not be just Disney fans that would be in outrage like when Horizons or World of Motion- but practically the whole world. Could you imagine the mass hystaria that would occour if Pirates closed, especially after gaining, quite possibly, more fans than ever after the film was released (and it was always one of the park's most popular attractions!) I just can't see these going.

As for EPCOT, I applaud Disney for changing their attractions to give guests more of a variety of attractions. I remember back in the 80s up through the early 90s, it seemed like a majority of the rides were all omnimovers filled with animatronics and had infectiously catchy theme songs. Now I have nothing against attractions like that, but if all the attractions (or at least all the major ones) were all the same type of attraction, it gets kind of boring. Variety is the spice of life, and I don't think that every attraction should be an audio-animatronic-filled adventure. We need those rides along with attractions like Test Track, Mission: Space, Living with the Land, and Journey into Imagination with Figement.

As for them abandoning animatronics, let's not forget adding animatronics as well. In the past 5 years, they have added more than just a few. Iago, Zazu, and the impressive Uh-Oa in the Tiki Room, two very cool looking Buzz Lightyears at Space Ranger Spin, Flik and Hopper at ITTBAB, a cast of incredably lifelike Dinos at CTX/ DINOSAUR, new animatronics of Jimminy Cricket and Sabastian in SpectroMagic, Little Red on Kilimanjaro Safaris, Tom Morrow 2.0 (not incredably impressive, but still an addition), President Bush at Hall of Presidents, and even a few "retired" animatronics resurfaced at Journey into Imagination, Jungle Cruise, and the WDW Railroad. True, animatronics are slowing down because of their heavy expences and, to be honest, wearing-off novelty, but they're still a big part of WDW and continually being added to the park.

General Grizz

Originally posted by Dizknee_Phreek
ok, here's a question for you...do you like the animatronics in PotC and HM, or would you prefer big screens all through the attractions with actors acting out the scenes? i'm not trying to be smart, but it's the same principle here. pre-shows, such as the Aerosmith one, are just that...shows. they're not meant to envelope you in an attraction...they just allow you to see what's in store for you, and also set up a storyline for attractions that otherwise would seem rather pointless. animatronics, however, help to make you feel as though you were a part of the attraction itself, because they are 3-D human-like creations....you just can't get the same mood or effect with flat screens.

now, as for the major question...yes, i do think that animatronics are becoming extinct...as much as i hate to admit that. i think it's horrible how Disney's letting so many of them go to waste. i'm all for the petition, picket line, hang cuffing myself to one of them (especially one in SSE)...whatever it takes! this means war! count me in!

Can I hear an AAAAAMEN, ladies and gentlemen?

I said...can I hear an AAAAAAAAMEN, ladies and gentle-men?

General Diznee Phreek, I am here for service! :) :sohappy:

Originally posted by Dizknee_Phreek
ok, here's a question for you...do you like the animatronics in PotC and HM, or would you prefer big screens all through the attractions with actors acting out the scenes? i'm not trying to be smart, but it's the same principle here. pre-shows, such as the Aerosmith one, are just that...shows. they're not meant to envelope you in an attraction...they just allow you to see what's in store for you, and also set up a storyline for attractions that otherwise would seem rather pointless. animatronics, however, help to make you feel as though you were a part of the attraction itself, because they are 3-D human-like creations....you just can't get the same mood or effect with flat screens.

now, as for the major question...yes, i do think that animatronics are becoming extinct...as much as i hate to admit that. i think it's horrible how Disney's letting so many of them go to waste. i'm all for the petition, picket line, hang cuffing myself to one of them (especially one in SSE)...whatever it takes! this means war! count me in!

Didn't your teacher ever tell you never answer a question with a question? I would really like you to answer my question, do you like the way RnRC uses is pre show presentation. I never made any remark about POTC or HM. I am just curious is you feel this is an effective tool. Yes it is for a preshow, but what do you think? Of course I would never change POTC or HM, they would never work without AA. But on the other hand, what I find most amusing and definitely what makes Haunted Mansion for me is the projections og ghosts, like the ballroom and the one that ride with you.

General Grizz

Efforts "were" under way. But because of budget cutbacks, those plans were shelved along with plans of a totally interactive dinosaur "Acrocanthosaurus" in the Cretaceous Trail area of Dinoland. In fact, it is sitting in a parking lot out in Tujunga, CA next to the River Iguanodon.

You're kidding me...so it's "finished," but just not going anywhere?? :eek:

mickeysaver

Originally posted by Scooter
I think Small World should become a paint ball target range :lol:

IASW would finally be worth riding! I would love to ride it if this were to ever become true. But, as the targets fall the audio has to have silences to reflect the lack of voices left to sing that infernal song over and over and freakin over again.

:lol: Mickey

CarpeDM

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but check out this link:

Lucky, the AA dino

I guess it's out of the parking lot. :sohappy:

Big Pooh

Originally posted by CarpeDM

Lucky, the AA dino

You beat me to it...I was about to resurrect this same thread...I'm glad to see Lucky roaming around DCA...hopefully it won't be long before he's roaming around AK. I wonder if the handler was controling Lucky, or if someone else was doing it?

Peace Love and Mickey...

Cheers :wave:

Yen_Sid1

Originally posted by CarpeDM

Lucky, the AA dino

Sorry, but this not the same dinosaur. The other is much larger on the scale of the old River Iguanodon. The one in Dinoland was interactive but not mobile. There was going to be pushbuttons to watch it do many actions like feeding or growling.

Lucky is an an entirely different project.

CarpeDM

OK, I understand now. Lucky was the dinosaur I was referring to in my earlier post about what was being worked on. I was not aware of the one you are referring to.

strobe

Originally posted by BKLMickey
With rumors floating around about the closing of Cranium Command and Food Rocks are animatronic attractions becoming extinct?

In EPCOT we've already lost Horizons & World of Motion for more ride/thrill style attractions. Some of the most beloved attractions in all the Disney Parkks are "E" ticket animatronic attractions. I hope the don't go comepletely by the wayside. When done properly they are first class entertainment.

Unfortunately, I don't think we will see extensive use of Animitronics in future attractions. I'm pretty sure they will stick around in the Magic Kindom, especially in the classic rides, though.

I wouldn't be surprised if Epcot loses most of it's animitronics during Project Gemini. It's a shame, but seems inevitable. Animitronics are expensive and require a ton of overhead to run, so apparantly some people feel the money is better spent on 'thrills'. I personally disagree, I think they need to have a mixture of both - but what do I know?

bearboysnc

Re: Re: Are animatronics becoming extinct?

Originally posted by strobe
I wouldn't be surprised if Epcot loses most of it's animitronics during Project Gemini.

UH...........Whats left that they haven't screwed up already?

American Adventure?

JaynMACP96_97_9

Re: Re: Re: Are animatronics becoming extinct?

Originally posted by bearboysnc
UH...........Whats left that they haven't screwed up already?

That's definately the way that those of us who grew up on the '80's/'90's EPCOT may feel, since we experienced all those great extinct or original concept attractions. But to the newer generations who don't have that frame of reference, they(Disney) are kowtowing to the newer generation of theme park experiences while still preserving the unique Disney experience.

Here's a question to ponder. If the huge Six Flags Chain, Islands of Adventure, Kings Dominion, Knott's Berry Farm etc...etc..didn't exist, or become so successful, would Disney have placed such an emphasis on thrill rides over the past 20 years? Or would they have concentrated on the types of attractions that still set them apart from any other theme park experience in the world?

MKCustodial

Re: Re: Are animatronics becoming extinct?

Originally posted by strobe
Unfortunately, I don't think we will see extensive use of Animitronics in future attractions. I'm pretty sure they will stick around in the Magic Kindom, especially in the classic rides, though.

I wouldn't be surprised if Epcot loses most of it's animitronics during Project Gemini. It's a shame, but seems inevitable. Animitronics are expensive and require a ton of overhead to run, so apparantly some people feel the money is better spent on 'thrills'. I personally disagree, I think they need to have a mixture of both - but what do I know?

The way I see it, if Eisner actually gets to do all he's planning with Epcot, it'll just be one less ticket for me to buy, money saving! :lol: After all, Epcot is no EPCOT Center, and it never will be. ;) In my opinion, in about 20 years or so, Disney is gonna be desperate on what to do with those junk thrill rides that no one wants to ride, while PotC and HM will still be there, entertaining millions and creating magic! Sorry if I'll offend anyone with my next comment, but TT was a one-time deal for me, and I have the feeling so will be Mission: Space. I can see how Space has more themeing and Imagineering than TT, but I can't see its re-rideability factor being high. Surely not like, say, Spider-Man or even the MK classics.

Now, about the AAs itself, have you guys checked Jim Hill's site today? I know many around here hate his guts, but I find some of the questions he raises interesting, and this definately is one of them. In fact, if any of our authorities here can clarify it, I'd appreciate it. Here's the link: http://www.jimhillmedia.com/legacy/index.htm?../articles/08222003.1.htm~contentFrame
I was really stunned by all this. Your thoughts?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom