Aqua Pointe Systems

WildcatDen

Original Poster
Does anyone know if Disney has installed the Oasis Aqua Pointe VersaFiller Bottle Filling Stations? Kings Island up here in Ohio has them. It is a great way to save money on filling up water bottles and also cuts down on plastic bottle waste.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I agree they would be a wonderful addition to the parks. That said, I can't imagine that being done considering the current management philosophy on ROI from upgrades and additions...

ppete1975

My gym has one (not sure if its that brand), but I cant see Disney doing that unless they sold a rfid water bottle or something. I cant say I truly blame them. I don't know the price but I'm guessing 3-4 dollars a bottle with some people buying 2-3 a day, that's easy money that is your decision if you want to purchase it (unlike admission or hotel fees). The environmental impact though is a huge issue so maybe someday they will do this with rfid water bottles (6 dollars a day or something for all the refills you can drink).

Castle Cake Apologist

Quick service will give you free water if you ask, so I'm not sure how you guys think this would be any different? Other than up-front cost.

To answer the OP's question, unfortunately they have not installed anything like that yet.

ppete1975

Quick service will give you free water if you ask, so I'm not sure how you guys think this would be any different? Other than up-front cost.

To answer the OP's question, unfortunately they have not installed anything like that yet.

convenience and effort. I'm sure there are water fountains as well (ive never honestly looked), you could fill up your water bottles at water fountains or get the free cups of water but none of those are used as much as if they put one of these machines in. Think about it this way, how many people bypass tap water or water fountain water but drink tons of bottled water. The way lots of people think is if its filtered from a glacier its not the same (even though most bottled waters are from municipal water and not glaciers). If Disney had these filtered pretty machines the people that never use water fountains, ask for cups of water would use these machines like crazy. Especially because they would think of it, where today most people just buy new bottles of water and don't try to refill them at theme parks (from what ive seen).

Example I never see anyone at my gym use the water fountains.... the filtered water machine next to it.... says it has saved 943,000 bottles of water (I checked yesterday), that's a very tiny gym... where most people still bring their own water.

Castle Cake Apologist

convenience and effort. I'm sure there are water fountains as well (ive never honestly looked), you could fill up your water bottles at water fountains or get the free cups of water but none of those are used as much as if they put one of these machines in. Think about it this way, how many people bypass tap water or water fountain water but drink tons of bottled water. The way lots of people think is if its filtered from a glacier its not the same (even though most bottled waters are from municipal water and not glaciers). If Disney had these filtered pretty machines the people that never use water fountains, ask for cups of water would use these machines like crazy. Especially because they would think of it, where today most people just buy new bottles of water and don't try to refill them at theme parks (from what ive seen).

Example I never see anyone at my gym use the water fountains.... the filtered water machine next to it.... says it has saved 943,000 bottles of water (I checked yesterday), that's a very tiny gym... where most people still bring their own water.

I think you misunderstood me. I was speaking to the fact that people are saying disney wouldn't do it because they wouldn't get sales from bottled water anymore if they had free water dispensers. My point was that free water is already readily available, so it really shouldn't make a difference for Disney. Even King's Island has these dispensers, it's honestly crazy that Disney doesn't.

ppete1975

I think you misunderstood me. I was speaking to the fact that people are saying disney wouldn't do it because they wouldn't get sales from bottled water anymore if they had free water dispensers. My point was that free water is already readily available, so it really shouldn't make a difference for Disney. Even King's Island has these dispensers, it's honestly crazy that Disney doesn't.

That's my point though. If they put these machines in it will cost Disney a lot of money in sales. People will see those machines and think cool crisp glacier water and they will drink it and fill there 20 dollar water bottles, and those are the people who wont utilize free water/water fountains. Bottled water is a huge easy profit. Also one that they can increase prices on, unlike theme park tickets/ resorts that people wont bat an eye or even talk about. A family of 4 that drink 3 bottles of water on a hot day lets say 4 dollars a bottle is 48 dollars on something that Disney might spend a 1.00 on and its prob much much less.

Now eventually the environmental aspect should come into play and it will bring these to the parks, as well as places like city buildings that currently have water fountains. Id say 5-10 years from now bottled water will slowly disappear and you will see more eco friendly water stations.

As a point how often when you are out do you see people refilling water bottles at a water fountain (outside of gyms), now how often do you see people buying or drinking water out of bottles.

Our commercial culture has taught us water in a bottle is better than fountain/tap water....even if its actually the same.

WildcatDen

Original Poster
The ones at Kings Island are located with some of the water fountains. The cost reason (lost sales) is why I guess Disney hesitates but as a point, KI charges more than Disney for bottled drinks and still does this.

joepa21

I was down at Disney last month with a class trip, and I saw 1 in the middle of the line for the Na'vi River Journey in Pandora at Animal Kingdom. I didn't notice any anywhere else in any of the parks, but I wasn't looking for them, either. I'm hoping, if they haven't done a park-wide rollout already, that it will be coming soon. I'm traveling down in August with a toddler and his grandparents, so this would make life easier than having to carry full bottles around all day, or stopping once an hour for people to rehydrate. If anyone has seen them anywhere else, I'd love to hear an update!

J_Krafty24

They may lose out some on the disposable bottle market but just thing of the collectable reusable bottle market they would be creating. They could even sell fancy charms and decorations to bling our your bottle. A few years back a local zoo installed these type of systems and completely eliminated disposable water bottle sales. At their food stands they even have pre-filled and chilled reusable bottles for sale.

KraftServices

I still don't see how this would cut down on Disney's water profits. They already have water fountains that people use to fill up their water bottles, for free. The only thing would be it would cost them to install the bottle fillers but that would in turn give them no profit. But there's enough snooty people who hate the taste of tap water that installing the bottle fillers won't somehow mean they'll never ever sell water ever again.

roj2323

Avatar land (pandora) has a water bottle refill /drinking fountain station in each ride cue. I have not looked to see if they are elsewhere in the land yet. That said, they were getting plenty of use and I can see them becoming more prevalent throughout the parks over time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom