April at AKL

mariak

Hi everyone!

My husband and I recently booked April 9-14 at Animal Kingdom Lodge (thanks to a nice pin code!). I've heard a lot of horror stories about this time of year around the holiday and spring break - but unfortunately, (at least in terms of Disney vacations) my husband is a teacher, and it doesn't allow us many options. I'd rather go in April than June-August, know what I mean?

I'm planning on just escaping to the resort if it gets too bad in the parks, but I'm a little worried it'll be just as crowded there. I'm hoping spring breakers will be filling up the values and maybe Epcot resorts for the Flower & Garden festival more so than AKL.

Any other teachers out there that are forced to go during high volume times like these? What's your strategy?

We haven't been to the world since our Feb. 2014 honeymoon! I've warned DH to expect much higher crowds this time but any tips for this week in particular? Thanks!

Jess G

I was in WDW this past April 4th - 14th. I stayed at AKL from the 4th - 9th and then went to a mod after.
Towards the end of my stay at AKL it definitely was getting crowded but I really only noticed it in the main Lobby area. Also, the line could get very long for the mara at dinner time, but they seem to keep it moving well.
Weather was perfect, don't worry about it.

Upvote 0

mariak

Original Poster
I was in WDW this past April 4th - 14th. I stayed at AKL from the 4th - 9th and then went to a mod after.
Towards the end of my stay at AKL it definitely was getting crowded but I really only noticed it in the main Lobby area. Also, the line could get very long for the mara at dinner time, but they seem to keep it moving well.
Weather was perfect, don't worry about it.

I didn't even mean to avoid the Mara, but there were so many restaurants we wanted to try that I have one scheduled each night. We'll probably only stop there for breakfast and snacks. Thanks for the heads up!

Upvote 0

CAPTAIN HOOK

We ALWAYS have to visit during peak times as my wife is a teacher.

The parks will be busy. However, you are NOT going to get unruly Spring Breakers at AKL unless they're with their parents. Plan you park and dining strategy as far in advance as possible, may the bookings and enjoy yourselves. We do.

Upvote 0

mariak

Original Poster
We ALWAYS have to visit during peak times as my wife is a teacher.

The parks will be busy. However, you are NOT going to get unruly Spring Breakers at AKL unless they're with their parents. Plan you park and dining strategy as far in advance as possible, may the bookings and enjoy yourselves. We do.

Thanks for the reassurance! I have daily plans already, and dining reservations are all made. Just waiting on fast pass selections.

If you don't mind me asking - which of the school breaks do you prefer to visit on, being that you guys also go during peak times due to a teaching career? I'm considering a thanksgiving break vacation for 2018.

Upvote 0

CAPTAIN HOOK

Thanks for the reassurance! I have daily plans already, and dining reservations are all made. Just waiting on fast pass selections.

If you don't mind me asking - which of the school breaks do you prefer to visit on, being that you guys also go during peak times due to a teaching career? I'm considering a thanksgiving break vacation for 2018.
Being from the UK we have three breaks to choose from (which are long enough to get to Florida - a week just isn't worth it) -

April / May (2 weeks) depending when Easter falls,
Summer (6 weeks) from late July to early September,
Christmas / New Year Usually 10-12 days.

We've done Christmas once, August three times and Easter three times. Christmas / New Year was fantastic (despite the heaviest crowds),
Easter is good for the weather as it's not as humid as August. Crowds wise, Easter always felt busier than August

Upvote 0

Philo

I visited 14th - 26th April (I think) and stayed at AKL a few years ago. I was pretty worried about the crowds for the same reason but I was pleasantly surprised. I believe this was just after Easter so we missed the worst of it though.

AKL was quiet (and amazing!) and never had trouble getting to / from the parks or hotel.

The parks were a little busy, but not as bad as I expected. A couple of well-placed Fastpasses and a bit of planning meant that I don't we queued very long for anything.

We got all our ADR's (booked in advance) but on days where we chose to free-style it we could always find food easily without massive delays.

The only time we had trouble was on a day where MK was closed early due to a spring break party (I think). We had to get to the Poly for an ADR and there was a lot of traffic which made us a little later. Other parks we're a little busy during the day as a result, but nothing too bad.

Basically, be prepared for bigger crowds but don't let it stress you out! Book your ADR's and look at estimates for crowds at each park and base your days around that.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom