April and June UYs Extended for 2020

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This “limitation” is in the contract that you signed. They could just as easily have disallowed borrowing totally, but it looks to me like they are trying to be as fair as they can, given the completely unprecedented situation that we all find ourselves in. They can also eliminate all banking if they feel it’s necessary.
Nothing that they are doing seems fair to you, so what do you think is “fair”?
I realize that...it’s still looks like a cheap, non customer service based way to handle a problem they made no contingencies for...

I am well aware of the contracts, the concept and operation of DVC, the wdw operation, and their clientele and demographics.

It’s an opinion..I’ve made mine and will respect yours.

Last edited by a moderator:

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I realize that...it’s still looks like a cheap, non customer service based way to handle a problem they made no contingencies for...

I am well aware of the contracts, the concept and operation of DVC, the wdw operation, and their clientele and demographics.

It’s an opinion..I’ve made mine and will respect yours.
Actually, I asked you what, in your opinion, would be fair? Keeping in mind that no one expected a world wide pandemic that has shut down everything Disney world wide. Are you saying they should have anticipated this happening?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Actually, I asked you what, in your opinion, would be fair? Keeping in mind that no one expected a world wide pandemic that has shut down everything Disney world wide. Are you saying they should have anticipated this happening?
It’s not an easy situation...or one I would have thought they could have anticipated.

But this is DVC rationing their diminished supply without providing any relief to those who already paid and continue to pay.

It’s just my opinion.

Rack room transfers would be ideal...but not really possible the way DVC is set up.

I would like to have seen a series of incentives where volunteers are compensated for delaying their trips 6 months, a year, two years or even more...that would be fair.

But this method is done purely to “share the pain” it looks crass to me...it’s almost Disney saying “we have to suffer...so you do too”

Contractually allowed...but bad business nonetheless.

Think discounted packages marketed in the next year - if needed - will be sold talking about reduced usage/benefits and shared sacrifice?

Maybe. We’ll see.

Last edited:

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
It’s not an easy situation...or one I would have thought they could have anticipated.

But this is DVC rationing their diminished supply without providing any relief to those who already paid and continue to pay.

It’s just my opinion.

Rack room transfers would be ideal...but not really possible the way DVC is set up.

I would like to have seen a series of incentives where volunteers are compensated for delaying their trips 6 months, a year, two years or even more...that would be fair.

But this method is done purely to “share the pain” it looks crass to me...it’s almost Disney saying “we have to suffer...so you do too”

Contractually allowed...but bad business nonetheless.

Think discounted packages marketed in the next year - if needed - will be sold talking about reduced usage/benefits and shared sacrifice?

Maybe. We’ll see.
Hmm, have to agree that some better incentives besides just allowing the refunding and/or banking of points should be offered. Hopefully, something is being considered that we will hear about after all of this is past us.

correcaminos

I think I see it the same way. It looks like they don't see the resorts opening by June 1, so they are extending the offer to the April and June use year points for now.

I'm hoping that I will still be able to take my planned trip at the end of June. I actually have a Disney Cruise scheduled for the same period. Originally, we planned on a 2 night on-property cash stay, followed by a 5-night cruise, followed by a 4 night DVC stay. I did book a resort for the 5 nights of the cruise, just in case the cruise gets cancelled but the resorts are open. So either I will be doing a land-sea vacation, an extended WDW vacation, or nothing.
As an FYI June UY points from 2019 expire before June 1, 2020. They are actually aligning for the hopeful opening of June 1st. Not anything you can read into with this statement.

I wish they would announce something though so we can know what to do.

Victaman

I'm wondering if they can do anything to rectify my situation. Had an April 13th trip cancelled and when I called on April 15th to see about using the 150 2019 points for an April 2021 stay I was told "No". The 150 points from 2019 will expire by Friday, April 17th or, you can move them into RCI where their new expiration date will be December 31, 2022. Not much of a choice to be made there. I either allow the 150 points to expire in two days (from the date of the phone call) or I at least have points in RCI that I may or may not be able to use, but at least there is a chance. So, I moved the points. Now, I'd like them back. I'd rather use them at Disney. (I think. :))

nickys

Premium Member
I'm wondering if they can do anything to rectify my situation. Had an April 13th trip cancelled and when I called on April 15th to see about using the 150 2019 points for an April 2021 stay I was told "No". The 150 points from 2019 will expire by Friday, April 17th or, you can move them into RCI where their new expiration date will be December 31, 2022. Not much of a choice to be made there. I either allow the 150 points to expire in two days (from the date of the phone call) or I at least have points in RCI that I may or may not be able to use, but at least there is a chance. So, I moved the points. Now, I'd like them back. I'd rather use them at Disney. (I think. :))

Edited:

So you can get them back if you had a June use year. From the FAQs about the policy changes:

“What if I deposited Points into RCI® so that they would not expire?

Members with a June Use Year who have made deposits into the RCI system since March 12 will be able to reverse that action and withdraw their Points. Members with previously booked RCI reservations that have been cancelled during the closures can continue to use those Points within the RCI system until they expire.”

But I am confused on re-reading your post. Your points would not have expired mid month. What use year were they?
In any case I would call and ask.

The full link is here:

Last edited:

Chip Chipperson

I think I'm mostly okay with this change. I'm hopeful that the policy will be extended to other Use Year dates as mine are on a February Use Year and we're going to have to cancel our November trip because there's no way we think it will be safe for everyone in our family to fly from NJ to FL even if the parks and hotels are open by then - and it seems like open parks would still have some limitations on rides and entertainment offerings. Were using 21 points from 2019 that we'll lose if we cancel and this policy change doesn't apply at that point. Granted, it's not a ton of points but it's points we wouldn't lose and wouldn't need to borrow in the future were it not for this virus.

nickys

Premium Member
I think I'm mostly okay with this change. I'm hopeful that the policy will be extended to other Use Year dates as mine are on a February Use Year and we're going to have to cancel our November trip because there's no way we think it will be safe for everyone in our family to fly from NJ to FL even if the parks and hotels are open by then - and it seems like open parks would still have some limitations on rides and entertainment offerings. Were using 21 points from 2019 that we'll lose if we cancel and this policy change doesn't apply at that point. Granted, it's not a ton of points but it's points we wouldn't lose and wouldn't need to borrow in the future were it not for this virus.

I think they will only extend it if the resorts remain closed. And then it will one use year at a time.

If the resorts are open but the parks aren’t, I don’t think they will do anything. They have enough of an availability issue as it is.

Chip Chipperson

I think they will only extend it if the resorts remain closed. And then it will one use year at a time.

If the resorts are open but the parks aren’t, I don’t think they will do anything. They have enough of an availability issue as it is.

I have a feeling you're right. Even still, I'm okay with the 50% limit on borrowing points. They have to do something to limit the number of points being used and this is the easiest way to do it short of temporarily eliminating borrowing altogether. We had mapped out our points for next year already prior to the resort shutting down, so losing 21 points will make us recalculate a little bit but in the end we'll figure it out. We were looking to book Aulani in early 2021 for my wife's birthday and were careful to make sure we had points for the November family trip, Aulani, and still have points to use in 2022.

It might limit a family stay a year or 2 down the line since we usually book 2-bedroom villas for trips that aren't just the wife and me, so we might lose a short 2-night stay or split stay using points and cash for ourselves if that happens, but there are bigger problems in the world right now than a mild disappointment.

Victaman

Edited:

So you can get them back if you had a June use year. From the FAQs about the policy changes:

“What if I deposited Points into RCI® so that they would not expire?

Members with a June Use Year who have made deposits into the RCI system since March 12 will be able to reverse that action and withdraw their Points. Members with previously booked RCI reservations that have been cancelled during the closures can continue to use those Points within the RCI system until they expire.”

But I am confused on re-reading your post. Your points would not have expired mid month. What use year were they?
In any case I would call and ask.

The full link is here:

My points are in the June use year. I'm unsure about the mid-month expiration, that's what the cast member assisting me told me. Hopefully I will have time today to call them. Thanks for your help!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
But demand for people who haven’t lost their job and have money will surly mean it becomes a buyers market and reservations will be harder to get.
Demand for contracts will fall...if you Monitor the resell prices they already have and the listings are multiplying already. Everyone has the same “good ideas” to the point it’s no longer a good idea.

As far as reservations go? Who the hell knows at this point?

I bet it won’t be good for the consumer...no matter what.

nickys

Premium Member
Totally agree, we have been going for around 4 weeks over the last couple of years and this has made a right mess of it. If they have availability I don’t get it?!

They’re allowing 3 months worth of otherwise lost points to be banked. And people booked for those 3 months want to go back. Availability will be scarce, not just for this year, for the next 2 years. People will have more points to use, so will either go more often or upgrade to bigger villas.

They could stop banking and borrowing. They’ve not done so before as far as I can tell. It could be a lot worse. And they’ll lift the restriction as soon as they can.

Edited because I just got told in Chat that when we cancel our Christmas reservation that used borrowed points, we’ll have the borrowed points returned to their original use year. That applies to any cancelled reservation using borrowed points.

Good news for us but not for everyone.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom