April and June UYs Extended for 2020

Pangyal

Original Poster
(First post here, hi!)

I just received this email:

Welcome Home!

Dear Disney Vacation Club Member,
I hope you and your family are staying healthy and doing well during these trying times. The impacts of COVID-19 are testing us all in ways we never imagined, yet we continue to be inspired by stories of care and compassion in our local communities and around the world.
Our team at Disney Vacation Club is deeply appreciative of the patience and understanding shown by our Members – and the helpful feedback and kind thoughts shared with our Cast.
Looking ahead to better days, our team is committed to keeping you informed and providing flexibility in your membership given the unique circumstances of this crisis. Based on your feedback, we are taking additional actions beyond those we previously shared with you:

• We know that some Members had reservations for Disney Vacation Club resort stays during the closure period using points that are set to expire. 2019 Use Year points for April and June that are set to expire in 2020 and that were used for these reservations will be extended for one year from the current expiration date. 2018 Use Year points for April and June that were banked into 2019 and used for these reservations will be extended for six months from their current expiration date. Please note this temporary policy only includes expiring points that were used to book a stay between March 12 and the end of the closure period and that involve a reservation cancelled after February 29. In addition, to better support Member availability, Disney Vacation Club will not extend the life of our expiring developer points.

• In light of this and to help with resort availability in the coming year, beginning today Members who want to borrow points to complete a reservation will temporarily only be able to borrow up to 50 percent of their future Use Year points per contract, as permitted by your Home Rules and Regulations. Doing this will help manage inventory and accommodate more Members who want to schedule their vacations once the resorts reopen. Points already borrowed for a stay outside the closure period will be honored, even if they are above the 50 percent threshold. We will continue to monitor our inventory and re-evaluate, with the goal of returning to our standard policy as soon as it is appropriate to do so.

• Finally, some Members have had questions about how the closure is affecting their association’s annual dues. While lower operating costs are anticipated for each condominium association because of the closures, there are many unknowns ahead as the resorts return to operation. Our commitment to Guest and Cast safety remains our top priority, and changes may be implemented to the way we operate, which may add some new costs. Given the unique circumstances of this situation, the proposal is to issue a credit to Members in mid-December as part of the distribution of Annual Dues Statements for 2021 if their association has an operating surplus (as opposed to rolling all surpluses into reserves).

These changes should provide helpful support to the entire membership as our team works toward making Disney magic for you and your loved ones just as soon as possible. We will continue to evaluate the situation, make changes to policies as they become necessary and keep you updated. More information on these policy changes can be found on our website, www.disneyvacationclub.com.
All of us at Disney Vacation Club are thinking of you and your families and can’t wait to welcome you home.

All the best,
Signature
Terri A. Schultz
Senior Vice President
Disney Vacation Club, Guided Adventures & Expeditions and Golden Oak

Welcome Home!

To ensure the delivery of emails concerning Disney Vacation Club, to your inbox, please take a moment to add disneyvacationclub@mail.dvcmember.com to your email address book or safe list.
Please do not reply to this email. If you wish to contact us, click here to email us.
If you would like to update your email or mailing address, click here to update your online Member profile or contact Member Services at (800) 800-9800 or (407) 566-3800.​
© Disney​
CR05​
DVC-20-1529850​
view

DisneyJeff

In the Parks
No
I got that email as well. I'm wondering what they are going to do about future use-years. My use-year is October. I have a trip booked for the end of June that uses borrowed 2018 points. I wonder if I will get a 6-month extension to use them (by April 1, 2021) or if they will expire as normal (on October 1, 2020).

Pangyal

Original Poster
I got that email as well. I'm wondering what they are going to do about future use-years. My use-year is October. I have a trip booked for the end of June that uses borrowed 2018 points. I wonder if I will get a 6-month extension to use them (by April 1, 2021) or if they will expire as normal (on October 1, 2020).
Perhaps I’m reading the email incorrectly in answering this for you, but my understanding is that existing borrowed points will be honoured, while banked points receive the appropriate extension provided that they fall into one of the two affected Use Years.

I have an August UY with a trip booked for the last week of June and am anxious to find out whether they will extend this same offer to my UY if the resorts are still closed in June.

My optimistic side is pointing out that DVC’s stance on the points issue was always “pending a better understanding of the length of the closure” and that perhaps they are aiming to open the DVC resorts in June, so they feel comfortable making policy changes now. I admit that this is a fair amount of wishful thinking on my part!

DisneyJeff

In the Parks
No
Perhaps I’m reading the email incorrectly in answering this for you, but my understanding is that existing borrowed points will be honoured, while banked points receive the appropriate extension provided that they fall into one of the two affected Use Years.

I have an August UY with a trip booked for the last week of June and am anxious to find out whether they will extend this same offer to my UY if the resorts are still closed in June.

My optimistic side is pointing out that DVC’s stance on the points issue was always “pending a better understanding of the length of the closure” and that perhaps they are aiming to open the DVC resorts in June, so they feel comfortable making policy changes now. I admit that this is a fair amount of wishful thinking on my part!

I think I see it the same way. It looks like they don't see the resorts opening by June 1, so they are extending the offer to the April and June use year points for now.

I'm hoping that I will still be able to take my planned trip at the end of June. I actually have a Disney Cruise scheduled for the same period. Originally, we planned on a 2 night on-property cash stay, followed by a 5-night cruise, followed by a 4 night DVC stay. I did book a resort for the 5 nights of the cruise, just in case the cruise gets cancelled but the resorts are open. So either I will be doing a land-sea vacation, an extended WDW vacation, or nothing.

Pangyal

Original Poster
I think I see it the same way. It looks like they don't see the resorts opening by June 1, so they are extending the offer to the April and June use year points for now.

I'm hoping that I will still be able to take my planned trip at the end of June. I actually have a Disney Cruise scheduled for the same period. Originally, we planned on a 2 night on-property cash stay, followed by a 5-night cruise, followed by a 4 night DVC stay. I did book a resort for the 5 nights of the cruise, just in case the cruise gets cancelled but the resorts are open. So either I will be doing a land-sea vacation, an extended WDW vacation, or nothing.

Fingers crossed for your vacation plans!

I am reading it slightly differently- they could still theoretically open the DVC resorts on June 1st, as those with June UYs could have used their 2019 points to book for May 2020 and, as a result, would have been affected by the closures.

Pangyal

Original Poster
I see a lot complaints coming DVCs way over the 50% borrowing limit.
For a start a lot UK DVC owners will be affected by this as DVC touted using 2 or 3 years worth of points to cover the usual UK 2 week trips when they buy them.
Yes. They are really between a rock and a hard place with this situation. I guess we will just have to hope that the measures are short-lived and that inventory can go back to its usual dodgy self soon ;).

note2001

I'm wondering how many meetings and approvals it took, as well as how high up the ladder they needed to go to be able to implement and announce these actions.

I'd also like some clarification on what it will take for Disney to decide DVC can open again. Is it restricted only to a state of emergency, or is it internal to Disney. What rights to owners have to access the property once the state of emergency for lodging locations is lifted? (Not saying I want to rush to a tourist destination anytime soon)

worldfanatic

Seemed like fairly reasonable & fair moves by DVC.
It'll disappoint & annoy some, but that was unavoidable.

If the cancellations continue into June & beyond, we'll get more news.

Pangyal

Original Poster
More detail here (so those of us with August UYs and beyond are taken care of provided the reservation is cancelled due to continued closure). I’m quite impressed that they are allowing RCI deposit reversals.

How is Disney Vacation Club addressing expired Vacation Points that were used for reservations during the closure?

We know that some Members booked Disney Vacation Club Resort stays during the closure period using Points that are set to expire this year. 2019 Use Year Points for April and June that are set to expire in 2020 and that were used for these reservations will be extended for one year from the current expiration date. 2018 Use Year Points for April and June that were banked into 2019 and used for these reservations will be extended for 6 months from their current expiration date.

• This temporary policy only includes expiring Points that were used to book a stay between March 12 and the end of the closure period and that involve a reservation cancelled after February 29.
  • Members with later Use Years should follow normal banking guidelines to bank their current Use Year Vacation Points. If a reservation was cancelled due to the Resort closure after the Member’s banking window, an exception will be made to bank the allotted Points associated with that reservation.
  • One-Time-Use Points remaining from a cancelled reservation can be refunded upon request.
  • In addition, to better support Member availability, Disney Vacation Club is not eligible to use the 6-month extension on previously banked developer Points.
In light of this and to help with Resort availability in the coming year, Members who want to borrow Points to complete a reservation will temporarily only be able to borrow up to 50 percent of their future Use Year Points per contract, as permitted by Home Resort Rules and Regulations. Doing this will help manage inventory and accommodate more Members who want to schedule their vacations once the Resorts reopen. This temporary policy applies to all Disney Vacation Club reservations and exchanges. Points already borrowed for a stay outside the closure period will be honored, even if they are above the 50 percent threshold. Members who book a new reservation or multiple reservations online, borrowing more than 50 percent of their Vacation Points per contract, will have their reservation(s) exceeding the 50 percent maximum cancelled automatically within 7 days.

Additionally, this temporary policy also excludes borrowed Vacation Points that would be applied to matched waitlists that were created prior to April 24 if the reservation requires more than the 50 percent threshold. We will continue to monitor our inventory and re-evaluate, with the goal of returning to our standard policy as soon as it is appropriate to do so.

How is Disney Vacation Club addressing expired Reservation Points used for a Disney Collection or Concierge Collection exchange that was cancelled due to a Resort closure?

Disney and Concierge Collection Reservation Points from April and June 2019 Use Years that have expired or will expire during the closure period will be moved into the next Use Year as Reservation Points. Additional Use Year will be addressed on a case-by-case basis. Members with cancelled Disney Cruise Line voyages or Adventures by Disney trips due to the closure have been offered their choice of a full refund, the ability to rebook a new cruise/trip with additional credit or the option to “park” their cruise/trip for a later date.

What reservations does this temporary policy regarding expiring Points apply to?

This temporary policy only includes expiring Points that were used to book a stay between March 12 and the end of the closure period and that involve a reservation cancelled after February 29. Members who did not have a reservation booked during the closure period are not eligible to have their Points extended.

How will this impact Members Annual Dues?

While lower operating costs are anticipated for each condominium association because of the closures, there are many unknowns ahead as the Resorts are returned to operation. Our commitment to Guest and Cast safety remains our top priority, and changes may be implemented to the way we operate, which may add some new costs. Given the unique circumstances of this situation, the proposal is to issue a credit to Members in mid-December as part of the distribution of Annual Dues Statements for 2021, if their association has an operating surplus (as opposed to rolling all surpluses into reserves).

Why is Disney Vacation Club temporarily updating policies?

Our team at Disney Vacation Club is deeply appreciative of the patience and understanding shown by our Members—and the helpful feedback and kind thoughts shared with our Cast. Looking ahead to better days, our team is committed to keeping Members informed and creating additional flexibility in Membership given the unique circumstances of this crisis. We are now taking actions that go beyond the temporary updates to our cancellation policy introduced earlier.

What if I deposited Points into RCI® so that they would not expire?

Members with a June Use Year who have made deposits into the RCI system since March 12 will be able to reverse that action and withdraw their Points. Members with previously booked RCI reservations that have been cancelled during the closures can continue to use those Points within the RCI system until they expire.

What policies did you previously announce?

Until a decision is made about when Resorts will reopen, all reservations scheduled for arrival during the closure time will be automatically cancelled by Disney Vacation Club on a week-by-week basis.

• Annual allotment Vacation Points returned due to a cancellation of a Disney Vacation Club Resort reservation will not be placed in a holding account and will be returned to the current Use Year.
  • When a reservation involving borrowed Points is cancelled, the borrowed Points will be returned to the Use Year they were borrowed from. Members should allow for up to 15 business days for this process to be completed.
  • Banked Points will be returned as banked Points into the current Use Year.
  • Reservation Points returned due to a cancellation of a Disney Collection or Concierge Collection Resort reservation will be returned as Reservation Points to the current Use Year.
  • One-Time-Use Points will be returned to the current Use Year as One-Time-Use Points.
Will this impact future inventory constraints?

Members who want to borrow Points to complete a reservation will temporarily only be able to borrow up to 50 percent of their future Use Year Points per contract, as permitted by Home Resort Rules and Regulations. Doing this will help manage inventory and accommodate more Members who want to schedule their vacations once the Resorts reopen. This temporary policy applies to all Disney Vacation Club reservations and exchanges.

Additionally, apart from the situations mentioned above where Vacation Points will be extended, all Vacation Points banking rules apply and extensions to banking deadlines will not be provided. These rules remain in place to ensure that the Membership as a whole avoids future inventory constraints.

How long will the Disney Vacation Club Resorts be closed?

As a result of this unprecedented pandemic and in line with direction provided by health experts and government officials, all Disney Vacation Club Resort properties will remain closed until further notice.

I purchased Travelex Insurance and made a claim due to my cancelled reservation. Am I eligible for the Points extension?

Members who made a claim with Travelex for their expired Points are still eligible for the Points extension, provided they meet the criteria listed above.

When my reservation was cancelled, my borrowed Points were returned to their original Use Year, but One-Time-Use Points that I purchased expired or are still showing in my current Use Year.

Please contact Disney Vacation Club Member Services to have One-Time-Use Points refunded.

note2001

If I had a reservation using borrowed points that I suspect will be cancelled and my points returned to their use year I'd make sure I had no plans to try and use all those points before they'd expire, if I did want to use them I'd make the move on my own before cancellation and NOT wait for Disney. If one waits then those points will no longer all be available for borrowing.

Conversely, if I had that reservation that Disney may be cancelling that used borrowed points, and if I had no plans to use them, I'd want Disney to do it's thing and cancel, returning my points to their native UY.

My reservation is not until the end of the year, but this is important to know in case this closure and current actions stay in effect through that time.

Tornat

if there going to put the borrow limit on everyone they should let everyone bank there 2018 points like that . I mean just because they open in September doesn't mean its safe for everyone to go. that's are dilemma right now loose points or risk getting sick because we have immuno compromised in our group. oh well at lest there trying to do something I give them props for that. our use year is in October with a trip booked for this September first time on our contract bummed atm.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yes. They are really between a rock and a hard place with this situation. I guess we will just have to hope that the measures are short-lived and that inventory can go back to its usual dodgy self soon ;).
Incentives to lower the demand would be the right way to rebalance the system. Not heavy restrictions.
Seemed like fairly reasonable & fair moves by DVC.
It'll disappoint & annoy some, but that was unavoidable.

If the cancellations continue into June & beyond, we'll get more news.
I don’t weep for an oversold timeshare...which they’ve just made clear they are.

This is not a good move...oh well.

nickys

Premium Member
Incentives to lower the demand would be the right way to rebalance the system. Not heavy restrictions.

I don’t weep for an oversold timeshare...which they’ve just made clear they are.

This is not a good move...oh well.

Having saved points that have already expired and some that will expire, and allowed them to be used over the next 12 months, they have to mitigate that somehow. Especially with 2021 being an anticipated very popular year.

What incentives do you think would lower demand and rebalance the system?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Having saved points that have already expired and some that will expire, and allowed them to be used over the next 12 months, they have to mitigate that somehow. Especially with 2021 being an anticipated very popular year.

What incentives do you think would lower demand and rebalance the system?
Developer points to be used (one time deal) later if you agree to postpone into 2021 and beyond...

Oh I don’t know...perhaps an AP promotion?

How about an incentive on an add on at Caribbean? Two birds with one stone there.

As it stands now...DVC has decreed to limit their own program and alter people’s lives in many cases and they will do so without spending one penny.

That’s how it looks...I’m sure I’ll re-evaluate...but right now it appears as “we didn’t want to close...so it’s on everyone”

I don’t care about the dues answer...but that looks really crass too.

CLEtoWDW

Those who were planning on using borrowed points in 2021 sure got hosed on this deal. Also, I’d argue that DVC isn’t helping with the backlog of points but rather just setting up for a larger backlog in 2022. Additionally, good luck reselling a stripped contract right now. Disney doesn’t often misstep but this was a massive one.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Those who were planning on using borrowed points in 2021 sure got hosed on this deal. Also, I’d argue that DVC isn’t helping with the backlog of points but rather just setting up for a larger backlog in 2022. Additionally, good luck reselling a stripped contract right now. Disney doesn’t often misstep but this was a massive one.
Yes...they did.

It’s a significant limitation on contracts that was kinda “slid under the door”

The resell market SHOULD tank in a recession anyway...this would exacerbate that as well.

The timeshare resell places are bombarding with ads right now...they know what’s coming...2009-2010 part 2

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
It’s a significant limitation on contracts that was kinda “slid under the door”
This “limitation” is in the contract that you signed. They could just as easily have disallowed borrowing totally, but it looks to me like they are trying to be as fair as they can, given the completely unprecedented situation that we all find ourselves in. They can also eliminate all banking if they feel it’s necessary.
Nothing that they are doing seems fair to you, so what do you think is “fair”?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom