AP merchandise pompous ???

KevinPage

Original Poster
I've seen the shirts, pins and hats you can buy, proclaiming to the world that you are an Annual Passholder.

But my wife and I find it kinda pompous, like you are trying to brag and show the world that you think you are special.

Anyone else feel this way about this merchandise? No offense to anyone who loves it. I won't tackle you are the parks or beat you up :)

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
have you seen the pins? there worth having, and im sure people will trade them so not everyone displaying one will be an AP holder. As for T shirts and hats, not my scene.

As for fearing an attack , although you sound real tough ( I bet you sleep with the light out and tear up wet toilet roll), I wont be losing too much sleep:animwink:

CoraJack

Account Suspended
I've never seen this merchandise anywhere. Does this come from a catalogue or something after you become a AP/PAP?

Christina

Quentin Disney

Originally posted by CoraJack
I've never seen this merchandise anywhere. Does this come from a catalogue or something after you become a AP/PAP?

Christina

You can purchase these items at the following locations:

Magic Kingdom - Main St. Exposition Hall
Epcot - Green Thumb (The Land)
Disney-MGM Studios - Sorcerer's Hat
Animal Kingdom - Island Merchantile

I believe that the merchandise is also for sale at Downtown Disney, but the location for that is cloudy in my mind.

The shirts and hat cost $19 each and as always you must present your Seasonal, Annual pass for purchase. :confused:

Personally IMO, I think they were a long time coming. They have DVC apparel for some time and the addition of AP apparel sounded good on paper. In my area at least, the apparel is selling slowly. However, the pin that matches the design of the shirt and hat are doing well.

When I was an APer, I wished one day that AP apparel would be available. I guess the dream came too late for me.

JLW11Hi

If you like the shirts, then what is wrong with buying one. I shiver at the idea that someone would think I was being "pompous" just for wearing a WDW shirt, and everyone thought I was just braging. Yes, mabey some people do wear them to brag, but unless you know them personally, then I wouldn't be too judgemental.

I am not an annual passholder, and I wouldn't think anything of someone having merchandise promoting it.

cymbaldiva

I don't think it's pompous. Actually it sorta reminds me of college...everyone there was wearing something to promote the club that they belonged to.

They're just shirts...what's wrong with that?

ACE

Having an Annual Pass doesn't make you "pompous". Depending on how long you're staying, it makes you smart.

For me it was cheaper to buy a FL resident season pass than to buy a 5 day ticket. I know not everyone lives in FL, but to be honest I wouldn't spend $19 for a AP shirt anyway.

I want a shirt to remind me of an attraction or something like that, not to remind me of the type of ticket I bought.:lol:

Anyway just my .02.

:wave: ACE

kwt10

I would have to agree and say that I would love one of the shirts, pins and hats. I was WDW (with my AP) and when I got home I had an email telling me about the stuff. Too bad for me that it was after I got home. I had no idea while we were there that the stuff was even available. But next time I will purchase and were proudly all that I can find.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
I don't mind the shirts....I do HATE the fact that because they are AP's that they think they automatically have something more coming to them. It has been suggested that they should get special concessions before....

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
Sorry...Not all AP's are this way, but a bunch are...I was there right at the start of the 100 years celebration, and the AP's that were there were talking like they should get to skip lunch lines, ride lines, or have attractions open only to them at certain times of day. :)

emmagata

Originally posted by Fievel
Sorry...Not all AP's are this way, but a bunch are...I was there right at the start of the 100 years celebration, and the AP's that were there were talking like they should get to skip lunch lines, ride lines, or have attractions open only to them at certain times of day. :)

I guess they thought that they were entitled to special treatment like the "front of the line" privileges at IOA/US.

If they want to give some "behind the scenes" type of special treatment to AP holders (like they do now), that's fine with me.
But don't shove it in my face just because you're an AP holder (FL resident or not). I paid to get into the parks just like you did, only I paid for a limited number of days.

I personally don't think they (WDW or US/IOA) should offer special admission (more $$$) to those with deeper pockets than me.

It's great for WDW and US/IOA because they get extra cash, but at the expense of other paying guests. Lousy idea if you ask me.
I hope that I never have the experience of having some FOTL person walk onto a ride that I just got done waiting an hour for.
Which probably won't happen because we go in December and there are no lines.

Now FASTPASS is different story. This is available to everyone. And it's first come, first served. I'm really surprised that more people don't use it.

ACE

Originally posted by emmagata

I personally don't think they (WDW or US/IOA) should offer special admission (more $$$) to those with deeper pockets than me.

I think, if you can afford it, then you should get all the perks. I personally can't afford all the bells and whistles but I don't begrudge the folks who can.

Look at it this way, should everyone stay at a Deluxe Resort for the price of a Value Resort. I can't stay at a Value resort because I have five people in my family and there's only one Moderate resort that will accommodate a family of five. Is that fair?

I guess I'll have to win the Lottery so I can stay in the best resort and get all the perks that come with $$$.:lol:

Pioneer Hall

I think that the merchandise for the AP is fine. If they are paying the money for the AP then they should be able to get a little something extra for it.

emmagata

Originally posted by acellis_99

I think, if you can afford it, then you should get all the perks. I personally can't afford all the bells and whistles but I don't begrudge the folks who can.

Look at it this way, should everyone stay at a Deluxe Resort for the price of a Value Resort. I can't stay at a Value resort because I have five people in my family and there's only one Moderate resort that will accommodate a family of five. Is that fair?

I guess I'll have to win the Lottery so I can stay in the best resort and get all the perks that come with $$$.:lol:

It's not that I begrudge people that could afford it, it's that I feel that once your in the park, it should be a first come first serve.

It's not like I want to pay for the nose bleed seats and expect front row center. I got what I paid for. Before the notion of FOTL or special AP perks, there was only one grade of seats.

You could take this little further and say that the AP holders (or those that pay extra for a "perk" package) will be allowed to jump to the head of any line. Like for food, at the store, etc..

If you want to stay on site and there are occupancy restrictions, then I guess you need to pay for a moderate.

You might want to look into renting a house. Last year (December), we rented a 3 bedroom about 3 miles from the southern World Park Drive entrance off 192 (about 10 minutes to the MK parking lot) for an extended week (8 nights) for $600 (including all taxes). It had it's own covered pool. Plenty of room for 5.

Even with the (now extinct) on site perks, I still wouldn't have paid significantly more what I paid to stay off site.

TiggerDaddy

I really don't care how other people get into the park. The important thing is that I'M in there. I f I wanted to impress someone, I would go buy a Grand Floridian t-shirt and wear it around.

HorizonsMan

I would have to say that i am an annual passholder and i do have the hat and shirt but i do not expect to have special priveldges such as jumping cause that would just be impolite, k:D

MrPromey

I have been an AP holder for a good long number of years and before that had a season pass for about as long as I can remember. That being said, I think it’s a good thing that they give certain special privileges to AP holders. Regardless of if they are locals or out-of-towners that come down a few times a year, these are WDW’s most loyal customers.

Many of the people in these parks daily may only come that one time or it could very well be years before most of them ever come back. Before and after hour events and things like the AP lounge are wonderful perks that I greatly appreciate Disney offering. I spend a LOT of money in the parks over the course of a year on merchandise as well as counter and pricey table service food and Disney can count on me and a lot of others like me to be in the parks during the slow season when they would otherwise have trouble filling restaurant reservations and making concessions sales in the parks.

The vast majority of serious pin collectors you see walking around the parks are AP holders and that hobby alone can cost thousands of dollars a year. I buy the AP pins but as for things like the shirts, I could really care less... That kind of stuff doesn’t appeal to me. Some people are proud to be such devote fans of the parks and want that kind of a thing and I think that if Disney can make an extra $20 bucks off them by selling a shirt of hat like that to them, they ought to…

As for things like front of the line access, I don’t think that is something that needs to be, nor should be offered. If you have a season pass, your tickets usable times are never the most “prime times” when the park is overly busy and for both season and annual pass holders that are local, a person has the advantage of riding when there is little to no line for things. The absolute most that I’ll wait for just about anything in WDW is around 35 minutes. Anything more than that and I consider it a waste of time because it’s something I’ve already done and something I know I can do again some time with little to no wait. If the line is too bad I walk on and do it some other time when I’m in the park. I have a feeling that this is the thought of a lot of people with these passes that can go to the parks on a moments notice. There are things you learn, like never ride Spaceship earth in the morning because there will be a line but just about anytime after noon it’s a walk-on. I’ve walked past things and commented that they must think I’m crazy to wait in a line like that but it’s not so much that I think *I* shouldn’t have to wait as much as it is that I know that I’d rather waste an hour walking around a park enjoying the atmosphere or doing the things that almost never have long lines like IASW or Tom Sawyers Island or POC than waste it in line for a single attraction. At some point in the year, just about every attraction in WDW is a walk-on and I am content to wait till it only takes 5 minutes to get on Space Mountain to ride it…

People come in all shapes and sizes and mentalities and it’s a lot like people on here. We have a “premium” group that supports the site financially and a group that does not… Some in the premium group may automatically expect super special treatment for their money and think they can get away with whatever they want as a result. That statement would not be accurate for most of us though… The truth is that some of us do sometimes get a little special treatment from other members and even by Steve but it has more to do with seniority than money and I would guess that most in the premium group have far greater respect for this site and the guy running it than a lot of people who register to ask a question before their visit and never come back as well as others that don’t appreciate the site as much. I think it’s the same with APs and Disney. When you aren’t one, you might develop opinions about some that are based on what you think you see and when you are one, you see things in a different but in no way worse way. :)

HorizonsMan

Originally posted by MrPromey

I have been an AP holder for a good long number of years and before that had a season pass for about as long as I can remember. That being said, I think it’s a good thing that they give certain special privileges to AP holders. Regardless of if they are locals or out-of-towners that come down a few times a year, these are WDW’s most loyal customers. Many of the people in these parks daily may only come that one time or it could very well be years before most of them ever come back. Before and after hour events and things like the AP lounge are wonderful perks that I greatly appreciate Disney offering. I spend a LOT of money in the parks over the course of a year on merchandise as well as counter and pricey table service food and Disney can count on me and a lot of others like me to be in the parks during the slow season when they would otherwise have trouble filling restaurant reservations and making concessions sales in the parks. The vast majority of serious pin collectors you see walking around the parks are AP holders and that hobby alone can cost thousands of dollars a year. I buy the AP pins but as for things like the shirts, I could really care less... That kind of stuff doesn’t appeal to me. Some people are proud to be such devote fans of the parks and want that kind of a thing and I think that if Disney can make an extra $20 bucks off them by selling a shirt of hat like that to them, they ought to… As for things like front of the line access, I don’t think that is something that needs to be, nor should be offered. If you have a season pass, your tickets usable times are never the most “prime times” when the park is overly busy and for both season and annual pass holders that are local, a person has the advantage of riding when there is little to no line for things. The absolute most that I’ll wait for just about anything in WDW is around 35 minutes. Anything more than that and I consider it a waste of time because it’s something I’ve already done and something I know I can do again some time with little to no wait. If the line is too bad I walk on and do it some other time when I’m in the park. I have a feeling that this is the thought of a lot of people with these passes that can go to the parks on a moments notice. There are things you learn, like never ride Spaceship earth in the morning because there will be a line but just about anytime after noon it’s a walk-on. I’ve walked past and commented that they must think I’m crazy to wait in a line like that but it’s not so much that I think *I* shouldn’t have to wait as much as it is that I know that I’d rather waste an hour walking around a park enjoying the atmosphere or doing the things that almost never have long lines like IASW or Tom Sawyers Island or POC than waste it in line for a single attraction. At some point in the year, just about every attraction in WDW is a walk-on and I am content to wait till it only takes 5 minutes to get on Space Mountain to ride it… People come in all shapes and sizes and mentalities and it’s a lot like people on here. We have a “premium” group that supports the site financially and a group that does not… Some in the premium group may automatically expect super special treatment for their money and think they can get away with whatever they want as a result. That statement would not be accurate for most of us though… The truth is that some of us do sometimes get a little special treatment from other members and even by Steve but it has more to do with seniority than money and I would guess that most in the premium group have far greater respect for this site and the guy running it than a lot of people who register to ask a question before their visit and never come back as well as others that don’t appreciate the site as much. I think it’s the same with APs and Disney. When you aren’t one, you might develop opinions about some that are based on what you think you see and when you are one, you see things in a different but in no way worse way. :)

BRAVO:sohappy: that brought a tear to my eeye:cry: very very well said

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom