AP Card Still Needed?

DonnG

Original Poster
When I last renewed my AP I wasn't sent the card along with the magic band. I know Cast Members can see if you're an AP when you touch your magic band, but I would frequently get asked to see the card when buying merchandise or dining. Is the card needed anymore? Trying to avoid a trip to guest services during my next trip if possible.

Cmdr_Crimson

Well, you do need it to Park and it's also helps CM's identify you better than just being a guest and saying "I'm an AP" Without proof...This is like saying..."I'm Club 33 Member" And I wave my band at the CM expecting to get in with ease......It's also a better benefit if you Forgetful Jones it and take off the Magic band for some reason (say you took it off while sleeping, or took a shower) and that you forgot your Magic band in your room and you at least have the card to enter the park...So, I say the card's worth it..Best to be safe than sorry...

Last edited:

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Yes, you still need your AP card to receive discounts on dining and merchandise and to get special AP merchandise, like the magnets. You have to visit Guest Services or a park ticket window to get your card.

DonnG

Original Poster
Thanks all! I figured that was the case. I'm planning to stop by the guest services in Liberty Square since it's usually less busy. Just odd that Disney wouldn't send the new card along with the new magicband!

LAKid53

Premium Member
Thanks all! I figured that was the case. I'm planning to stop by the guest services in Liberty Square since it's usually less busy. Just odd that Disney wouldn't send the new card along with the new magicband!

They did that when they provided passholders with both an AP and discount card - the discount card was shipped with your magic band (one color for annual, one color for other levels, because only annual was eligible for free parking at the parks). But stopped a couple of years ago when they switched to the new passholder levels.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
I get the point that many of you are requested to show the "card" for parking and merchandise and dinning discounts. I do as well.

But it is a little redundant, considering that the only visible identification on the "card" is a barely legible first name, written in Sharpie by a cast member. They are scanning the card at the parking entrances and they are scanning for merchandise and dinning discounts.......If they are going to scan the thing - what difference does it make whether or not they are scanning the "card" or the band? Seems like an unnecessary cost for Disney - to continue to produce the "card"

Damon7777

Well, you do need it(AP card) to Park

Absolutely not true.
Since the start of my AP days (going on 18 months now) and about 50 to 60 parkings among the 4 parks I am 100% successful in showing just my band.

And a good 30 of those parking times the attendant did not even scan it; I just presented the magic band and he or she waved me on through.

Last edited:

Damon7777

I get the point that many of you are requested to show the "card" for parking

I find that completely incredible.
One most definitely needs it for dining and shopping but not for parking.
Not one single time have I been asked to show the card for parking.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I get the point that many of you are requested to show the "card" for parking and merchandise and dinning discounts. I do as well.

But it is a little redundant, considering that the only visible identification on the "card" is a barely legible first name, written in Sharpie by a cast member. They are scanning the card at the parking entrances and they are scanning for merchandise and dinning discounts.......If they are going to scan the thing - what difference does it make whether or not they are scanning the "card" or the band? Seems like an unnecessary cost for Disney - to continue to produce the "card"

They don't scan the card. They look at the back, check the expiration date and compare the name to that on your photo ID. My card has both my 1st and last name written on it.

The preferred thing to do is to open up the app, show them my AP in the app and my ID.

ThatMouse

I don't actually think point of sales can scan your band and see if you are AP. It's only on some systems dealing with security. Also, they aren't always required to scan the AP card either or have the ability to so they may just not even ask for the card. But ya you should carry the card!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom