AOA vs POFQ?

AVeryDifferentDisneyDad

Original Poster
Headed to Disney (party of 4 this time), choosing between Art of Animation and the Port Orleans - French Quarter.

AOA is less expensive which would allow us to do Hoppers and Disney +, but have never stayed at POFQ only walked through.

Pros? Cons? Input?

Thanks in advance.

mf1972

we’ve stayed at pofq a few times. u will have the benefit of 2 resorts. riverside is a 5 minute walk from FQ. it’s small & compact. you’re not far from anything. we found it to be very quiet even when it’s busy. you’ll also have the boat transportation to DS. for 4 people it might be a bit tight.
we once stayed at pop & walked over to AOA. this was before they added the skyliner. looks great for families. larger than the all star resorts. if you’re not staying in a family suite, the mermaid section is furthest away from everything.
never rode the skyliner but heard it’s busy in the morning. i would allow yourselves extra time to get to where u want to go. u can always watch a few youtube videos if it helps. hope this answers some of your questions. have a good time.

AVeryDifferentDisneyDad

Original Poster
I think I am leaning towards AOA... I assume the skylifts are still running in this Covid stuff... lol

Thanks so much for the info. Hoping a few more will share their thoughts, as well.

Vegas Disney Fan

I think it depends on how much time you plan to spend at the resort. We love POFQ and we recommend it to everyone BUT if it’s just going to be a place to sleep you’ll benefit more from using the extra money to enhance your park days.

If you are planning on eating at the resort, swimming, taking the boat to Disney Springs, hitting the bar, etc it’s absolutely worth the extra cost (in our opinion) but if you aren’t utilizing the extras you’re paying a lot more for a bit quieter resort and convenient bus service.

MarvelCharacterNerd

Will there be kids in the party?

POFQ is great for the grown-ups (bar. New Orleans theming, great for romantic strolls to Riverside and back). AOA is better for the kids (Disney theming, pools).

mf1972

i meant to ask if you’re planning on a family suite or the mermaid room? the mermaid room is a bit smaller than a room at FQ, so it’ll be tighter for 4 people. at least the suite will give u more space, beds, & another bathroom

UNCgolf

I prefer Riverside to French Quarter, but I think Port Orleans overall is a great resort. I'd rather stay there than any of the values or other moderates, and probably more than a couple of the deluxes.

AVeryDifferentDisneyDad

Original Poster
The teenagers are 17 and 16. The 16 has never been. The wife is sitting out the parks 1 day to shop and chill, but me and the teenagers will be grinding the parks non-stop for the 3 days we are on site at Disney. We just plan to sleep at the resort, not explore it much. And no bar for any of us.

Everyone keeps saying the "Mermaid Rooms" at AOA. Guess I need to see what is available because on my initial look I don't seem to recall what room it was.

ppet

POFQ is probably the resort we've stayed at the most. It's small size is appealing as is the the theming and boat to DS. However for our next trip we are doing AoA for the skyliner mainly.

JIMINYCR

Since its going with teens I'd go POFQ. Its more grown up atmosphere and has evening entertainment. The boat to DS is available for evening entertainment and shopping as well.

Ayla

Are you planning on 4 people in a Little Mermaid room at AOA or a Family Suite? Big difference in experience there. The Little Mermaid rooms are a hike. POFQ is so compact.
This is what I was going to say. If you're staying in the LM rooms (which you are, judging by you mentioned it was cheaper), stay at POFQ. That resort is small, compact and the landscaping is amazing.

POFQ also has the boat to Disney Springs, which is fun and expands your dining options.

I've stayed at both (LM rooms) and MUCH prefer POFQ.

Diamond Dot

For me personally it's FQ every day of the week. AoA is very spread out, but, if you plan on staying at either Finding Nemo everywhere is a bit of a walk. The buses are also much busier and I would take being able to take a boat to Disney springs over the Skyliner to DHS or Epcot. With teens AoA's themeing especially the pools, may be a little childish.

Diamond Dot

The teenagers are 17 and 16. The 16 has never been. The wife is sitting out the parks 1 day to shop and chill, but me and the teenagers will be grinding the parks non-stop for the 3 days we are on site at Disney. We just plan to sleep at the resort, not explore it much. And no bar for any of us.

Everyone keeps saying the "Mermaid Rooms" at AOA. Guess I need to see what is available because on my initial look I don't seem to recall what room it was.
It's a hike, but, to be fair, therer is a lot to see and plenty of photo ops in the Lion King and Cars areas.

TrainsOfDisney

Both are good choices. AOA is so centrally located and with the skyliner you have easy connection to more dining if you’d like at Carribean, Riveria, and Boardwalk area.

For me, Port Orleans is a very charming resort and you can enjoy Yeehaw Bob at the Riverside, and take the boat to Disney Springs, etc.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom