Anything over at Wonders of Life?

Mickeyrulz

Original Poster
This is surely going to be a flat out NO, but has anyone noticed Wonders of Life activity or it being open lately?

(I doubt it, but just wondering).

So it's going to open for Christmas, to fill the seasonal quota, right?

And Grizz -- you're the expert on this. Could I have the link to your WOL tribute video? Saw it before and would love to watch again! :)

Figment1986

It should open during the peak christmas times to fill it's seasonal quota... (such a sad time it has to close... I enjoyed the palce..)

General Grizz

As we all know, Wonders of Life was last open to the public in May (during Epcot’s test of opening attractions after dark for resort guests). Since then, the pavilion has remained CLOSED to the public, HOWEVER. . .

THE PAVILION IS STILL RUNNING – at least most of it. That’s right. AREA MUSIC, LIGHTS, SIGHTS, and SOUNDS are running inside the Wonders of Life (although major attractions are not) – and there is photographical evidence in my first August Epcot update.

Let’s break it down for the record:

-- THE PLANTS in Wonders of Life need sunlight.
-- CAST MEMBERS have conventions in the pavilion, including meeting areas, skits, and social activities. (Couldn’t this be done in the Odyssey, World Showplace, or Upstairs Image Works, all originally opened to the public anyway?!)
-- CONVENTIONS

Yet, Disney is keeping Wonders of Life closed to guests in order to keep it n “Seasonal Status,” which in turn pays a few (3-6) million dollars to Disney.

What does this mean?

THERE IS A CHANCE Wonders of Life may open in CHRISTMAS BREAK to fill its seasonal quota, then close for good – with no sign for refurbishment. This is absolutely horrible and a slap in the face to fans and Epcot guests. (Thanksgiving opening seems like a no-go).

Also, expect The Making of Me to (PERHAPS) run on only select days (if at all) during these potential openings. There is also a chance Wonders of Life may be open while the Land is closed for rehab.

A story I brought you that showed up on MousePlanet: If you enjoy the Wonders of Life and you'd like one last chance to see it, you may want to make reservations for. . . Christmas holiday time. We are hearing that the pavilion may open for those peak seasons to meet its quota to qualify for seasonal status, then close for good after the beginning of the year (after Disney gets its $3-6 million tax writeoff for running the attraction seasonally this year).

Apparently, Disney closed the pavilion in May during the test of evening Extra Magic Hours. It had been planned to be open from 9 p.m. - 12 a.m. and had tremendous attendance at 9:00 (the fourth highest pavilion attendance-wise that evening).

[High ups called in and said]: "Close the pavliion, attendance is bad," so they had to close up an hour early. The pavilion hasn't reopened [to the public] since. There is a rumor that Disney wanted to close either Spaceship Earth or Wonders of Life that evening, and a higher-up was protective over Spaceship Earth and decided on Wonders of Life. It's starting to look like (as Mr. Potato Head says in Toy Story) "Humpty Dumpty was pushed."

===

Also of note: When Body Wars Surprise Fastpass was reported to raise attendance 33%, Disney did away with the FastPass system.

This is obvious sabotage for an attraction of about 11,000/day.

For my WoL tribute video, there is a link in the resources page of this update: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=44572

Captain Hank

Wow, I just watched the tribute video for the first time ever. I'm very impressed, General. I got to see the pavilion this past spring, and it was so sad to see places where I knew Pure and Simple and the shop had been. It was also really empty at the time I was there. It was just sad.

WDWScottieBoy

Mickeyrulz, not to sound rude (and please don't flame me anyone), but if you would search, Grizz is very vocal (if one can possibly be vocal on a forum board) and has mention MANY times that WoL is running all the time for CM, conventions, breaks, etc. You have been making about 10 new threads a day and if you just searched threads and/or photo galleries, you'd be able to know at least 9 of those 10 each day. The search feature is a great thing to have and utilize.

AGAIN, PLEASE DON'T FLAME ME, I'm just trying to help!

Mickeyrulz

Original Poster
WDWScottie---

Ahem, but I think I said I was looking for the UP TO THE MINUTE status. Not the "two months ago" status.

General Grizz

Mickeyrulz said:
WDWScottie---

Ahem, but I think I said I was looking for the UP TO THE MINUTE status. Not the "two months ago" status.
Few days ago, actually. :D

(And if I find important information, I post it as soon as I can :wave: )

WDWScottieBoy

Mickeyrulz said:
WDWScottie---

You've been here a month, once you get to know more about the people and what they do for us here on the boards, you'll understand more. Grizz ALWAYS gives us his information AS SOON as he gets it. He doesn't wait, it's a "I GOT IT, NOW I MUST POST!" So yes, what I said was right and it was mentioned just a couple days ago, just do a search and you would've found it.

Mickeyrulz

Original Poster
If expenses are the issue they can get rid of the Making of Me in there, because IMO it's the least popular (am I wrong? If i am, I apologize.)

General Grizz

TheOneVader said:
So, if they close WoL, what will they most likely replace it with?
For now, nothing. Disney is "tired of updating" and more than likely it would shut down (just as it is now) and operate for conventions and Cast Member socials.

There have been rumors around that Disney wants a new sponsor (which would R-O-C-K!) or bring in a "new idea" by the 25th Anniversary of Epcot, but I have yet to verify this. For now, it will be a 20,000 Leagues. . .

General Grizz

Mickeyrulz said:
If expenses are the issue they can get rid of the Making of Me in there, because IMO it's the least popular (am I wrong? If i am, I apologize.)

The expenses for Making of Me would be that of one Cast Member (heck, I'd go over there for free and press the button! :brick: ) - but the show is nothing to operate. Expenses are not the issue (as the pavilion is constantly running); rather, Disney likes the 3-6 million dollar suck of tax write-offs.

Figment1986

I am enjoying how they are getting a Tax write off on an "Educational Attraction" which should be operating. Dont they get enough from Time keeper :lookaroun

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom