Anything neat to see & do in Celebration, FL?

maconMouse

Hi Everyone, Just curious if any of you had ever stopped in Celebration, FL, the town nearby built by Disney for many cast members and their families. I had heard it was a neat little town, and was curious if it was worth stopping at and seeing. Might be something fun to do on the way home I was thinking. Thanks for any advice. Have a Magical Day, Andy.

TheDisneyGirl02

Celebration isn't just for CM's and their families, it's for whoever wants to live there. It's a very nice place to visit. There's some shopping and a movie theater as well as a beautiful lake to sit by. There are some walking paths too. I wouldn't plan a whole day there, but maybe a little while!

Enjoy!

TheDisneyGirl02

Upvote 0

maelstrom

It's fun to visit and say, "so this is what a Twilight Zone town would feel like". Haha. I actually really want to move there, creepyness and all.

Upvote 0

rogtuf

Celebration is a great place to visit. Very quaint and like out of the set of Desperate Housewives. I gather there are strict restrictions on maintenance of your property, and strict rules about what you can and can't do to your home, ie blinds etc.

Upvote 0

skeeter

Bring your wallet--two years ago on a visit to Celebration, they quoted a price for the 3 story townhomes -- starting at $285,000.00. They have bungalow homes all the way up to estate homes. I don't know if I would want to live there, just for the above/mentioned creepiness of it, but it truly is a beautiful place to visit. They do have a resort there, although the price would probably compare to a deluxe resort near one of the parks. :animwink:

Upvote 0

mickeygr8

i thought around two years ago disney sold it off to another company and just made them follow the same rules that disney had when they were the owner. i may be wrong, anyone else know?

Upvote 0

DisneyMarg

Post #1

There is a book out about the town. I think it's called Celebration USA. I checked it out from the library a couple of years ago. It describes how the joint development partnership worked, who were the first families there, how they liked it etc. A good read.

The book described how they wanted to develop a town with big front porches, sidewalks, and everything close enough to walk to. I thought it sounded great and then realized, "HEY, that's where I live already!" and it didn't take Disney to build it!

Upvote 0

DisneyMarg

Post #2

On our last trip to Disney, I volunteered to fill up the car during afternoon rest, and then accidentally on purpose got lost and ended up in Celebration. I drove around a couple of times. The houses are really like perfect gingerbread houses. I didn't have time to stop, but didn't really feel compelled to after the drive. And then I almost really got lost trying to get back to the Pop Century. 192 has REALLY changed since I was last there.

Upvote 0

tmtee

When we went in 03 they had several houses open ( model homes) - we went into 3 of them and then went into the office where they have the whole town laid out in miniture. It reminded me of the town laid out when you go on TTA.

The houses they had open are wonderful. Very well laid out and had the latest in updated amenities. You are right though, they have very strict covenents of what you can do with your property.

If you have time and like tooking through houses, I would recommend a stop through.

Upvote 0

NadieMasK2

My best friend! She and her husband own a second vacation home in Celebration. My family has stayed there. It is worth at least driving through to see what Perfecttown, USA looks like. The only thing I don't think I would like is you get the feeling that Big Brother is watching you all the time. The town is very heavily policed and strict rules are enforced. Citizens are allowed to put unruly teenagers under arrest and hold them until cops arrive (this is in the covenants which is a very thick book). I felt like if I parked the wrong way or walked on the grass sirens would sound and the townspeople would pounce on me. Not real relaxing, although it is an extremely safe place to live.

Upvote 0

GymLeaderPhil

I've been there far too many times in my youth... my sister used to be very big into baton competitions. I'm not sure if anyone has gone through any sort of compeititon like this (beauty pagents come to mind), but they were half-a-day ordeals sitting in gymnasium bleachers where mothers turn their daughters into walking canvases of makeup and costumes that you'd see on 192 very late at night.

Anyways it was interesting touring Celebration's school. Nothing like the public schools I've always been accustomed to. They have a nice Cuban resturant the last time I was there (ages ago) that might not be there anymore and a very interesting retro theater. Very quant downtown district.

I believe near Christmas they get a snow machine and they put on some sort of event for kids.

Upvote 0

JLW11Hi

I'm pretty sure Disney no longer owns the town itself, having sold it off to some other company (or companies?) They own a small section of land there, where they have some office buildings, and they also partly own, or at least work with, the Celebration Hospital.

This is information I got from the representatives at the open houses.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom