Anyone with any experience with the Dessert Party at DHS Obsborne Lights?

flynnibus

Premium Member
Original Poster
anyone done this yet this year?

Anyone know of any constraints about when you can enter for the party? The time is 7pm, but can you come at anytime later?

With all the talk about crowds getting to SoA.. is there any problem getting TO the Dessert Party location?

We are doing it on Thursday night and trying to figure out what we need to plan for..

Thx

Kate Alan

I'll be there Monday night for the dessert party - I'll let you know how it goes!

My understanding for entry to the party is that you can come and go to the party as you please, as you'll have identification given to you. I don't think showing up later will be an issue for you unless you're hoping to snag your choice of table.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Original Poster
I'll be there Monday night for the dessert party - I'll let you know how it goes!

My understanding for entry to the party is that you can come and go to the party as you please, as you'll have identification given to you. I don't think showing up later will be an issue for you unless you're hoping to snag your choice of table.
Yes please let me know how your experience is! This is a real short trip for us and I'm getting more and more nervous about crowds and waits!

JimW

Premium Member
We did the dessert party back on 12/4. A few notes:

• If you're planning on arriving to the party when it first opens, leave yourself plenty of time to fight the crowds. It took us well over 30 minutes to make it to the party.
    • Crowds via Pixar Place seemed to be much more sparse - I really wish we had gone that route!
  • The party is directly under the globe. We didn't see anything posted, nor was it evident. The cast member we originally asked had no idea, and had to direct us to another CM to direct us.
  • When you get to the party location, go to the designated check-in spot. The line may look like it's for the check-in; it's not. You must check in before getting in line.
  • You'll be given a sticker to put on your chest, which is your ID for getting in and out of the party. There are no restrooms inside the party - an important reason to keep your sticker on.
  • After you apply your sticker, don't throw the remainder away... you need that to get the blanket.
  • We showed up ~45 minutes before the start of the party. There was what appeared to be a long line, yet we all got tables, with many to spare. However, 30-45 minutes after the official window of the party, there were people roaming and looking for tables.
    • I'd say either show up early, or wait until an hour or so after it starts. Either way, you should get a table.
  • Lastly, you really don't need to attend the entire duration of the party. After a while, you'll start to hear/see the same songs, and it does get a bit repetitive.

Tom

Beta Return
anyone done this yet this year?

Anyone know of any constraints about when you can enter for the party? The time is 7pm, but can you come at anytime later?

With all the talk about crowds getting to SoA.. is there any problem getting TO the Dessert Party location?

We are doing it on Thursday night and trying to figure out what we need to plan for..

Thx

• If you're planning on arriving to the party when it first opens, leave yourself plenty of time to fight the crowds. It took us well over 30 minutes to make it to the party.
    • Crowds via Pixar Place seemed to be much more sparse - I really wish we had gone that route!
  • The party is directly under the globe. We didn't see anything posted, nor was it evident. The cast member we originally asked had no idea, and had to direct us to another CM to direct us.
  • When you get to the party location, go to the designated check-in spot. The line may look like it's for the check-in; it's not. You must check in before getting in line.
  • You'll be given a sticker to put on your chest, which is your ID for getting in and out of the party. There are no restrooms inside the party - an important reason to keep your sticker on.
  • After you apply your sticker, don't throw the remainder away... you need that to get the blanket.
  • We showed up ~45 minutes before the start of the party. There was what appeared to be a long line, yet we all got tables, with many to spare. However, 30-45 minutes after the official window of the party, there were people roaming and looking for tables.
    • I'd say either show up early, or wait until an hour or so after it starts. Either way, you should get a table.
  • Lastly, you really don't need to attend the entire duration of the party. After a while, you'll start to hear/see the same songs, and it does get a bit repetitive.

We did it on 11/12, but that was before DHS started seeing the insane crowds it's seeing now. But otherwise, I concur with @JimW 's comments.

We got there a bit after it started, but the line was short when we finally found it. We were routed around the Streets and all the way around to the entrance to LMA. There were CMs directing traffic though, and we actually saw a few signs. But again, crowds were small when we got there.

I suggest getting there as early as possible, so you can secure a table. Then go one at a time to get food and drinks. And be sure to get a blanket for each guest in your party.

Overall, it was a nice way to see the lights. They don't interest me long enough to justify standing in the middle of a sea of people, so parking my butt on a chair with a mountain of cobbler in front of me made it worth the experience.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Original Poster

Thanks Jim! is the viewing location adequate to see most of the show's highlights? or did you feel the need to walk around as well to see more?

JimW

Premium Member
Thanks Jim! is the viewing location adequate to see most of the show's highlights? or did you feel the need to walk around as well to see more?

The viewing location is at one far end of the show. If you really want the full experience, you'll want to do the full walk around. For my wife and I, the party was enough. I will admit, our opinion was heavily tainted by the crowds. The juxtaposition of the crowds leading to the party against of the party itself was enough to convince us... Your mileage may vary.

Tinkerbell 8

We did the party on Nov 6th and it was extremely crowded! It took us 20 minutes to get through the street to the location for the party, then once we were in we had to walk around to find a table and they were all pretty full so we had to grab an extra chair from another table and join a party of three at their table, its really hard to get 5 adults at one of those little tables! We didn't stay for the whole thing, my husband was getting cranky and didn't like any of the drinks. The dessert was okay, nothing too special, but i enjoyed the drinks. Make sure you get your free blanket, they have a choice of red or blue, and like a previous poster stated the ticket for your blanket is on the bottom of your entrance sticker page. As far as seeing the lights, i left my hubby at the party and wandered around the streets for a little bit to take some pictures and videos. Overall if this wasn't the final year of the lights i wouldn't have paid for the party, and i doubt i would do any other dessert parties.

Kate Alan

Went last night and agree with pretty much all the above - show up on time or early to ensure a sit down table. We had a few standing tables left when we got there and that worked fine for us. Crowds were large but still manueverable, though Photopass spots were nuts. They had red, blue, and black blankets available for us.

rob0519

We attended Nov. 22. Agree with everything above. Get their early. Head towards the globe and look for the check-in desk. The desserts were ok, the chocolate drinks were good. You can ask the bartender to make a "virgin" one for the kids. I'd never seen the lights before, so while expensive, it was nice to have a seat for about an hour to eat and watch. They only had red blankets the night we were there that I could see. After you leave the party be sure to walk the streets and see everything you can't see from the party site.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom