Anyone with any 411 on the PotC rehab?

PeterAlt

Original Poster
Sorry I haven't been active on these boards lately. But, in trying to "catch up", I read that Disney *IS* going to do the Pirates of the Caribbean update! Yay!!!!!! That's one thing that I really wanted to happen the most!

According to what I've read here, construction is to begin some months after IASW reopens. That means that the project is included in Disney's 2005 Capital Spending budget. Does anyone know how much Disney has budgeted for this? I mean is it going to be a real effort to improve and modernize the ride or is it just a few fixes and and a rehab?

What I'm getting at is... WHAT ARE THE DETAILS of what they're planning on doing? Anyone who has ANY details to share would be GREATLY appreciated!

CPPirate

Sorry.

As a previous CM of PotC... I should let you all know that the rehab is not going to happen for awhile. In fact, most of the stuff is still on the drawing board including the added showscenes in unload and the upramp area, the addition of fastpass, and the inclusion of the movie characters.

tigger248

TravisMT81 said:
this attraction does not need FastPass.

I second that! There is rarely a wait at the attraction, and when there is, it moves quickly. To me, fast pass seems like it would just slow things down (as it usually does).

TTATraveler

tigger248 said:
I second that! There is rarely a wait at the attraction, and when there is, it moves quickly. To me, fast pass seems like it would just slow things down (as it usually does).

I completely agree with you. Certain attractions FastPass actually makes things worse, like at Peter Pan and Winnie the Pooh.

DarkMeasures

CPPirate said:
As a previous CM of PotC... I should let you all know that the rehab is not going to happen for awhile. In fact, most of the stuff is still on the drawing board including the added showscenes in unload and the upramp area, the addition of fastpass, and the inclusion of the movie characters.

Does this mean that there will no longer be a really bad ending for the WDW version?

Anyway, I do hope they make it where guests unload after the lift. It would definitly inhance the experience, especially since escalators don't really belong in Adventureland.

MissM

Even on NYE, park to capacity, lines out the wazoo everywhere, PoTC line was longer then I'd ever seen it. They had you snaking back-and-forth through the "lobby" outside. And it was still only about a 20 minute wait.

So no, fastpas is definately not needed.
-m

Pioneer Hall

Considering that the Disneyland version just had its fastpass removed, I would doubt that they would even look at it for the WDW version. They realized that it did nothing but cause problems.

aimster

I've never had to wait more than 10 minutes for Pirates... even on busy days.

And if they add Jack Sparrow I will be writing a very long letter to Disney management. I really like the movie and I'm all for Johnny Depp as a dirty pirate (rowr!)... but Jack Sparrow DOES NOT BELONG in that ride!

DarkMeasures

aimster said:
I've never had to wait more than 10 minutes for Pirates... even on busy days.

And if they add Jack Sparrow I will be writing a very long letter to Disney management. I really like the movie and I'm all for Johnny Depp as a dirty pirate (rowr!)... but Jack Sparrow DOES NOT BELONG in that ride!

Lost cause. Currently there are waaaaayyyy more letters being sent to management complaining about there being no Depp that there will ever be of letter complaining about the ride having him.

Depp is coming no matter what and he wasn't even planned to be added. It's not managements fault this time, its the guest's fault this time.

stitchcastle

It's great if Depp comes to WDW's PoTC, that version is perhaps the least impressive of all the PoTC rides in the world (Disneyland and Tokyo Disneyland have the best, Disneyland Paris has the right sequencing, WDW's is severely lacking in scenes and was made ala DCA, a cheap quickie). By adding Depp to WDW, it would make it at least more unique than the cheap quickie it originally is.

TRITON4ME

Account Suspended
tmcherok said:
Maybe they think that when it re-opens with Jack Sparrow that it will be popular!

Maybe. But actually POTC is still a very popular ride. Often the lines are so short because of its fast loading speed. It can handle about 4500 people per hour accoding to the Unoffical Guide.

Epcot82Guy

Pirates "short" queue definitely has to do with load speed and the number of boats on the canal; it is not due to popularity.

As for a Captain Jack AA (note I said a Captain Jack AA, not a Johnny Depp AA), I think it is a fine addition if it is done subtly and in a synergystic way. There are lots of scenes that could have Depp added in. Personally, I would love to see the steering ghost pirate in the cave traded out for a transitioning ghost pirate (like the butterfly in JII where it starts as a pirate and transitions to a skeleton or cursed pirate OR vice versa). Renovate the Pirate's ship into the Black Pearl. Put Captain Jack at the end of the treasure room, bidding guests farewell. There are lots of places with or without new scenes added.

I think if the effects and current AA's were updated AND a small but notable reference to Captain Jack was included, all sides could be satisfied quite well.

Miss Bell

I am all for Jack Sparrow being on PotC, but only if it is actually Johnny Depp, and he is sitting next to me in the boat. :kiss:

I agree with no FastPass--I never had to wait in line for Peter Pan's Flight until they added a FastPass. (Not that I'm dissing FastPasses--I love them on some attractions.)

CPPirate

Re: FastPASS

Let me all agree with you on this... WE DO NOT NEED FASTPASS at PotC. Take the Haunted Mansion for example. When fastpass was addedd it ruined the outside decor and look of the mansion and it only made the waits longer. This is one of the reasons that FastPASS is actually being REMOVED from the mansion. But the plan with fastpass at Pirates is to remove the jungle fastpass machines and move them to the area between jungle and pirates (across from the roasted almonds stand). This new "fastpass" area would have machines that let you pick a jungle or a pirates fastpass... much of the same system like at universal. There is also plans to do this new "multiple fastpass" area at attractions like BTMR and Splash, Buzz and Stitch, and Space and Speedway. To me it sounds like a good idea... but only at attractions where fastpass is effiecient.

PirateJosh20

Pirates Rehab

ok so this has been an on going thing for a long time. Pirates indeed needs a rehab very much!!!!! I have been working there for a couple years and I have been hoping for one badly. I have gone around myself fixing lights and some animatronic clothing a lot of times and its getting old. But hey! I have the lights in the burning city all working again and shining correctly

POTC rehab WAS scheduled to go down the middle/end of this summer. I have seen the blueprints for this rehab. In one plan, there will be no more unload. Unload will be moved to Load like DL POTC. The queue will be redisgned abit. and Fast pass is supposed to be added in. There will be a few new show scenes added. They will begin where unload is currently and these will consist of new animatroics ranging from Jack and Barbossa and new sword fighting pirates. The upramp will be a new show scene as well. Everything else in the ride will be a basic rehab. In the other plan they have, they will completely rehab and update the attraction, with out new show scenes or moving unload and no fastpass. Currently there is NO need for fast pass at POTC. When both sides are open and the ride is running efficiently and the castmembers are loading correctly we would do worse on quests/hour with fast pass.

BUT!!! These plans have been post poned to end of summer/early next spring because of the 50th aniversary "Happiest Celebration on Earth" celebration. Disney didnt want to have one of its popular attractions closed for this celebration and it will most likely go down after the summer because park attendance really slows then. If it goes down it will be a year rehab. It prolly would have gone down earlier but they were also wating for Small World to Re-Open.

And get used to it because Capt Jack will most likely be appearing in the ride. But it will only be in the new show scenes from Unload on... Nothing will change the original ridhe that is there now.

Have a Magical Day!
PirateJosh

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom