Anyone watching Handmaid's Tale?

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Original Poster
I read the book when it was originally published in 1985. It's interesting to see how they fleshed it out, and season 2 takes the story beyond the book. I'm liking what I see so far. As much as one can like a dystopian tale. :bookworm:

Sans Souci

I've read the book, too, but I haven't watched the series. I go back and forth about watching it, because I found the book upsetting as well. I haven't watched mostly because I find the imagery in the ads kind of violent--the handmaid with an eye stitched shut, a group of handmaids standing on a gallows. But I read so many positive reviews about it, so I am tempted. I'm going to my MILs soon, so I might download the first season to pass time during the flight.

Princess Leia

I read and enjoyed the book (well, as much as you can enjoy a dystopian novel), and watched the first episode of the series, but I couldn't continue. The book had spots of hope (and I took the ending as a hope spot as well, especially with the epilogue). The show just left me with a feeling of dread and helplessness.

I wanted to point out that I've watched other violent shows (Game of Thrones, Westworld, and Hannibal) and while they all have dealt with violence against women, they've also had women succeed and triumph over their abusers. And that's something that I have yet to hear happen on Handmaid's Tale.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Original Poster
I've read the book, too, but I haven't watched the series. I go back and forth about watching it, because I found the book upsetting as well. I haven't watched mostly because I find the imagery in the ads kind of violent--the handmaid with an eye stitched shut, a group of handmaids standing on a gallows. But I read so many positive reviews about it, so I am tempted. I'm going to my MILs soon, so I might download the first season to pass time during the flight.

Hmm...I don't think I could recommend that for you. Not on a plane. :hilarious: I'm now in season 2, and it's gone from disturbing to depressing. And it can be very hard to watch. My hubby has taken to asking, "are you watching that show again? can you stop?"

I read and enjoyed the book (well, as much as you can enjoy a dystopian novel), and watched the first episode of the series, but I couldn't continue. The book had spots of hope (and I took the ending as a hope spot as well, especially with the epilogue). The show just left me with a feeling of dread and helplessness.

I wanted to point out that I've watched other violent shows (Game of Thrones, Westworld, and Hannibal) and while they all have dealt with violence against women, they've also had women succeed and triumph over their abusers. And that's something that I have yet to hear happen on Handmaid's Tale.

The first season ended on the same hopeful note as the book. Season 2 just ripped that to shreds. Then they give back some hope of triumph, and tear it away again. I really should stop watching, but now it's some kind of morbid curiosity to see how it turns out...

I find the imagery in the ads kind of violent--the handmaid with an eye stitched shut, a group of handmaids standing on a gallows
I've watched other violent shows (Game of Thrones, Westworld, and Hannibal) and while they all have dealt with violence against women,

I think it's not so much violent as sadistic. There's not a not of blood spraying around, as I've heard there is on GoT (I've never watched any of those 3 programs that you quoted, @Princess Leia); I don't think I would have stuck with it, because I'm not a fan of gore. Over all of the episodes I've watched, I've only had to look away 3 times.

Princess Leia

I think it's not so much violent as sadistic. There's not a not of blood spraying around, as I've heard there is on GoT (I've never watched any of those 3 programs that you quoted, @Princess Leia); I don't think I would have stuck with it, because I'm not a fan of gore. Over all of the episodes I've watched, I've only had to look away 3 times.
All three definitely are on the gory side, but Hannibal made it artistic, so it didn't seem as bad.
While Handmaid isn't gory, the sense of despair I got in that first episode just turned me off the series, despite having read the book.

Sans Souci

Hmm...I don't think I could recommend that for you. Not on a plane. :hilarious: I'm now in season 2, and it's gone from disturbing to depressing. And it can be very hard to watch. My hubby has taken to asking, "are you watching that show again? can you stop?"

OK, I will scratch that idea then! LOL It's probably not a show for binge watching.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Original Poster
Ladies (I gather that all the participants in this thread are female ;) )

Season2, Episode 5 is FREAKY-DEAKY!! I really don't know what's going to keep me going except for that sense of morbid (literally) curiosity.

This is a well-done show, but day-um tough to watch.

You're welcome??😮 (with apologies to Moana & Maui)

disneygeek90

@Tiggerish I started the series a month or two ago. Binged and caught up with it all in 2 days. What a ride.

As difficult it is to watch, I can't stop watching and consuming information on it. Beautifully shot, beautifully acted and downright terrifying. I love it.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Original Poster
I’m sure I will come back and finish Handmaids Tale but right now I am enjoying the delightfulness that is the new Queer Eye series.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom