Anyone taken a Crockpot?

disneyflush

Has anyone ever taken a crockpot and thrown the ingredients together in the morning and came back later in the day to lunch/supper waiting? We are going to be doing this in May to keep from spending a lot on dining. Wondering if it has worked out for any other families good or bad?

disneyflush

Original Poster
So let me get this straight... People actually want to drag a heavy, bulky crockpot on vacation with them? I hope y'all are driving down at least. 🤯

I get it and totally understand the sentiment! We are just at a point where food isn't a highlight of the trip for us and we can eat for ~10% of the cost of eating out if we make it ourselves in the room. We can take $150 in food and $50ish for alcohol and be set for the week. If we did 1 character dinner in Epcot it would cost $250 for the 4 of us probably? Over 7 days that would be well north of $1,000 on food. We'll still spend a lot of money but on other things and experiences while we are there.

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

I get it and totally understand the sentiment! We are just at a point where food isn't a highlight of the trip for us and we can eat for ~10% of the cost of eating out if we make it ourselves in the room. We can take $150 in food and $50ish for alcohol and be set for the week. If we did 1 character dinner in Epcot it would cost $250 for the 4 of us probably? Over 7 days that would be well north of $1,000 on food. We'll still spend a lot of money but on other things and experiences while we are there.

I feel you! Crockpot or no, you should be able to find several quick-and-easy, healthful meals that can be prepared in your DVC villa kitchen. We enjoyed everything from skillet pasta dishes to from-scratch muffins in ours, and it's a great way to save money (especially if you are driving and can bring most of the staples from home). In order to ensure that none of our groceries would go to waste, I also tried to plan meals that built off of one another (e.g., meatloaf, the leftovers for which became meat sauce for spaghetti with rolls, then the leftover rolls were used for sub sandwiches, and then the leftover sandwich cold cuts/cheese/lettuce/tomato became the next night's Chef salad with hard-boiled eggs, then the leftover eggs could be used to make egg salad sandwiches... etc.)

Upvote 0

BoarderPhreak

I totally understand wanting to handle your own meals; you're right - you'd save a ton of money even if it's just one big meal/day.

How about cook the food overnight in the crockpot, put it in the fridge before you go out the next morning, and reheat it for lunch or dinner? Then it won't be plugged in if security/housekeeping comes in
Or freeze batches of meals; soups, chili, etc.

Upvote 0

correcaminos

I would think it would be a fire hazard and I would not want to waste all that valuable park time getting back to the hotel to eat. Also, I am on vacation, i cook and do dishes the rest of the year I refuse to do it on vacation.
When it is in the kitchen of a villa, it isn't the same. They allow different things in villas because they are full kitchens. Mousekeeping won't shut them off.. or at least I've never once seen that reported.

So let me get this straight... People actually want to drag a heavy, bulky crockpot on vacation with them? I hope y'all are driving down at least. 🤯
A lot of DVCers drive. So not a big deal. Or they have owner's lockers to store them.

As a long time DVC member, we do eat in the room a lot. We fly though and don't do OL so all of our meals are super easy and the least amount of cooking possible. So we'll have breakfast in the room (yogurt, granola, cereal etc) and then have a meal out. Dinner will be light (sandwiches, bagels etc) and that's in the room. I do know some who bring a crock pot and do the whole easy meal in it. I'm just too lazy for that. My guys load the dishwasher and unload it so no worries there for that work when I'm on vacation LOL

Upvote 0

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Crockpots are so heavy... try a rice cooker, which can be use for cooking rice (natch!), steaming veggies, and warming up hot dogs and frozen burgers.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom