Anyone Stay at the Sports?

I am usually a POP guest ... but another couple we are going with is already booked at the Sports, so now we have to stick with them. Can you give me your pros and cons ?

DavidTheGreat

We've stayed there before and it seems similar to the Pop Century resort. However, it can be a nightmare if a baseball or basketball team are all housed in the same area. The sports resort seems to be a favorite for teenage sports teams. Other than that, the place is great. I love the big icons scattered around the hotel.:king:

Upvote 0

Jessie&Buzz

I stayed there 9 years ago. It was nice. We did have a problem with it being loud. If it were the only place I could afford to go to I would probably stay there again (or any of the values).

Upvote 0

Jessie&Buzz

Sports is the first stop so getting to the parks won't be a problem. They do tend to get overcrowded though. I had to stand several times on the way back to the resort.

Upvote 0

VT GAL

We stayed there in May, and the buses were crazy! But I have a feeling that was due in part the the hordes of Middle School kids that were staying at Sports.

We really liked driving over to the parks early, catching breakfast at the McDonald's (Again the kids made navigating the food court crazy and we saved some moolah) on the way, and then leisurely going about our day.

Have a great time! :wave:

Upvote 0

Jim Disney

Pros: Um... they're nice. It's a Disney Resort so you get those "perks."

Cons: The busses will be busy... and it can be very noisey, especially if there are things like cheerleader competitions, etc going on (usually in May).

Having stayed at the All Star resorts and Pop Century... if those were my choices, I'd personally just stick with Pop.

Upvote 0

BRER DAD

My family and I liked it out of all the All-Stars the best. You share busses with the others, but your first on and first off. Have a great time!!

Upvote 0

smk

We have stayed at Sports three times, never at another value resort. I like it, the buses are good, first off on the way home at night so the trip seems to be shorter. The food court is okay, pricey like all food courts. We try to limit what we get at the resort and save our food dollars for meals in the parks. The beds for a double room are just full size, so beware! If you are used to a queen or king size you'll be uncomfortable. We have gone and stayed once in a room with a king size bed, but if you have more than two "friendly" people and need two beds just keep that in mind. Overall, I would stay there again if I needed to for budget reasons. My favorite place is FW or the Poly.

Upvote 0

disneydudette

All Star Sports is currently undergoing a major room renovation... one of the Baseball buildings is already complete. The new rooms resemble the new ASmu rooms. I think that right there is a huge plus over Pop!

Don't forget that the bus system is undergoing major changes to help eliminate long waits, including at the All Stars. You'll notice more and more reports of the All Stars rarely sharing buses!

I do agree that you have to be careful since the All Stars do in fact attract groups/sports team. I would check disneysports.com to see if there are any events during your dates.

Upvote 0
My husband, daughter and I have stayed at the sport resort 3 times in a row. The only problem we had was 1 night we were on a bus where some school chaperones did not want to split up a band group and there were way too many people on the bus for me. This happened May 2006.

We love it and we are going to stay there next March when we go with a HUGE group.

I hope you enjoy it.

We are staying at Pop Century in September just to try it out - I hope its nice.

Upvote 0

eagles

we stayed there this past april/may (end of april, begining of may). i have NO complaints about anything. even the bus system. for some reason there were several times that buses were running just for the AS Sports hotel.

Upvote 0

lilredfoxie

I stayed there in 1999, back then I remember the bus stop was in the middle of the parking lot because they were redoing it. The room was pretty good from what I remember, the only problem I had with it, was that everything was so spread out, and this one area people would play ball and you had to watch you didn't get hit in the head.

Upvote 0

ErickainPA

We were sort of forced to stay at Sports during Spring Break (I say sort of since it was the only Value resort with rooms left, we wanted Pop but it was Sold Out) Ended up with several baseball teams staying there (we were stuck in one of the baseball buildings. Pools were packed, high school kids were EVERYWHERE, baseball moms took over the laundry room for HOURS!!! and it was very noisy. I had to laugh one night, was laying in bed and knew a storm was heading in. Around 11:30 heard a huge crack of thunder and everyone that was in the pool started screaming and running to their rooms. No one was hurt, they just got scared, could hear them screaming for at least 20 mins.

Upvote 0

raven

I've stayed at Music, then Pop for a few years, then went to Sports this past May and it seemed very small. We got to know one of the managers at Sports pretty well due an injury to my ankle while we were staying there. The CM's were very nice to us.

The only problem I had at Sports was the check out. I stood in the line labeld "check out" and after I got to the counter the CM told me I had to go to the other line (the check IN counter). So I waited in that line and when I got to the front I was sent back to the other line. After going through that line once more, the CM at the counter (the one who sent me to the other one) checked me out...finally. I had no extra charges and it took about 15 seconds to do once that he finally did it. Was that so difficult?

The people at the airport check in counter didn't seem to have half a brain either. We were the 3rd people in line and it took 45 minutes for them to finally give us our tickets and take the luggage and the computers were working fine. I had to watch our bags carefully because they were just throwing them in the corner and they were getting mixed up with other bags. The person putting the tags on the bags had to keep asking who's bag beloged to who. :brick:

When we got home we wrote the manager of Sports and told him our situation.

Upvote 0

ArielWannaBe

Original Poster
Thanks for all the advice! There doesnt seem to be anything going on my week so hopefully it will be fine! I prefer the POP but It will be interesting to try something different!

Upvote 0

goofyfamily

WE have stayed at Pop and have stayed at Sports 3 times . We will be going back to SPorts this September. My kids like it better than Pop. We have never ahd any problem . The busses have always been great also.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom