Anyone notice "For the Birds" in Cars movie?

Teenchy

Original Poster
I just saw Cars last night and loved it. But I was wondering if anyone else saw the very quick glimps of the Pixar short film "For the Birds" sitting on the wire as Mack hits the road to California with McQueen.

For those not familiar Pixar always does a short film before their movies, i.e. this time its called One Man Band. They originally did one called "For the Birds", you migh remember it, it was with a row of small brids (crows?) sitting along a wire when a big bird comes down and sits with them..... I'm pretty sure I saw them in the Cars movie. It was so fast I was wondering if anyone else saw this.

Disney has done the same thing in many of its animated features, i.e. Belle is walking through the crowd in Hunchback and the Sultan in Aladdin is stacking small toys and one of them is The Beast.

Just making sure I'm not crazy...then again I couldnt make it through the day without beign crazy! :lookaroun

jellis

Noticed it here also... You could actually hear the birds for the split second that they were on the screen. You got to love the little touches like this, they make the movie fun to watch again and again as you look for more.

- Jim

i saw it too! im glad i wasnt just imagining that. i spent a lot of the movie looking for other pixar references since they always manage to sneak in something in their other movies, like jessie the cowgirl on the floor of the girls room in monsters inc and even the ball you see in toy story and buzz lightyear on the floor of the waiting room in nemo.

did you also notice in cars that the piston cup was sponsored by dynoco (sp?) which is the gas brand at the gas station in toy story one. also the tires brand was lightyear, just like buzz.

another reference back in the days of hand drawn disney animation was in hercules, when hes wearing the lion's skin it has a very distinctive scar over its eye...

Mickifan17

I noticed it as well. And of course, the Pizza Planet truck made it's appearance as it does in all Pixar movies. My favorite part was the credits though. Great job once again.

PurpleDragon

STR8FAN2005 said:
Quote:
Timothy Q Mouse said:
And also at the end of Monsters, Inc., when Sully brings Boo back home, she gives him a Nemo plush toy.

er....is that possible?

Yeah considering Finding Nemo came out 2 years after Monster's Inc. They usually reference older movies, referencing a movie that didn't exist yet would make no sense.

Also its doubtful they even had the rough character designs done yet for Finding Nemo at that time, it was probably still in the conceptual stage.

PurpleDragon

MKtacosRthebest said:
I don't know about the original movie version but in the DVD Boo hands Sully a toy clown fish.

Then that is possible they made a change in the film for the DVD release after Finding Nemo was released in theatres. Cause now that I think about it I believe originally it was just a regular little baby doll, if memory serves.

SpongeScott

Mickifan17 said:
I noticed it as well. And of course, the Pizza Planet truck made it's appearance as it does in all Pixar movies. My favorite part was the credits though. Great job once again.
I missed the truck. What scene was it in?

CoffeeJedi

There's a Mr. Incredible comic book in the dentist's office in Finding Nemo. I haven't found it but, i believe its based on an earlier character design.

disneywy

The Nemo plush in Monsters Inc. and Mr. Incredible comic in Finding Nemo were there in the original theatrical versions. Animated movies take years to complete and so 2 years out isn't that far off to have the characters designed and planned. I like these forward references. Maybe there was something from Rataouille in Cars and we didn't notice it?

PencilTest

Here's a couple I know of in Boundin' (the short that ran before The Incredibles):

-Tin Lizzy (the crazy old lady in Cars) is the car that the farmer backs down the hill to pick up and shear the sheep. But you only see her from behind.
-The farmer (whose forearm is all you ever see) is the dentist from Finding Nemo.

I thought the For the Birds cameo was great.

PurpleDragon said:
Yeah considering Finding Nemo came out 2 years after Monster's Inc. They usually reference older movies, referencing a movie that didn't exist yet would make no sense.

Also its doubtful they even had the rough character designs done yet for Finding Nemo at that time, it was probably still in the conceptual stage.

As shown above, they were in the originals due to the length of time it takes to make the films. Not only does it make sense to throw in a reference to a current work in progress, it's a cool little inside joke. As for the Nemo reference in MI, I didn't get it obviously until Nemo came out. I wonder also if Rataouille reference is in Cars. Anyone?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom