Anyone know which hotel has the best gym?

SGT623

I usually stay at the value's and jump to another resort to use the gym. I've been to Coronado and Contemporary, neither one is very impressive. Any iron pumpers out there know who has the best spot? I leave in the morning! WHOO HOOO!

surfsupdon

Ship Shape at Yacht and Beach had a decent amount of equipment. As does the gym at BoardWalk across the lake.

Swan/Dolphin gym stinks.

The above first two are decent for a Disney Resort, but not anywhere near what you would pay monthly dues for in your hometown.

Upvote 0

Magic Maker

Nothing beats Saratoga Springs, none of the other gyms compare.

It is the largest and is part of the spa, so you get to use the spa locker room which makes the experience both invigorating and relaxing. That's why I try to work out if I can.

Upvote 0

SGT623

Original Poster
Thanks for all the input. I don't know why I didn't think of Saratoga Springs before. I was heading to Y&B in the morning but now think I'll try SS first.

Upvote 0

SGT623

Original Poster
Just to follow up, I did use the gym at Saratoga and it is much better than the others I have found on property. The only problem was that once I got there I was told I would have to pay a $12 charge since I wasn't a vacation club member. Since I had not worked out in almost a week and had got up early and took the time to get there I went ahead and worked out anyway but wished I had known that ahead of time. The lady at the desk was nice enough to drop the charge for me after my workout since she felt sorry that I came all the way from the all stars to work out, so I got lucky without even complaining about it. I just wanted to let others know that this gym is not normally free to those who are don't DVC members.

Upvote 0

GTOKID

I was also dissapointed in the "gym" at the comtempary. The last time I went I satyed in the wilderness camp. I just took a plate loaded DB. I had it loaded with 121 lbs. I did one arm clean and press, DB swings,farmers walk,one push press, one legg squats,push ups. If you are inventive you do not need much. I drove so taking a DB was not a big deal. If I had flown...it would not have worked as well. But there are better free weight exercizes than junk machines. Hand stand pushups, one hand pushups,hindo squats,pullups on kids play equip. you can do your pushups with your feet on a box to make them harder...just think about it!

Upvote 0

Rob562

Just to follow up, I did use the gym at Saratoga and it is much better than the others I have found on property. The only problem was that once I got there I was told I would have to pay a $12 charge since I wasn't a vacation club member. Since I had not worked out in almost a week and had got up early and took the time to get there I went ahead and worked out anyway but wished I had known that ahead of time. The lady at the desk was nice enough to drop the charge for me after my workout since she felt sorry that I came all the way from the all stars to work out, so I got lucky without even complaining about it. I just wanted to let others know that this gym is not normally free to those who are don't DVC members.

Ummm.... I believe that's the policy at all the gyms. It's not necessarily that you weren't a DVC member, but rather that you weren't staying at *that* resort. Resort fitness facilities are only "free" to Guests staying in that particular resort. (i.e. Boardwalk guests can use the Boardwalk gym, Muscles and Bustles, for no additional charge; Wilderness Lodge Guests use Sturdy Branches for free)
If a Guest wants to use the gym at a resort that's not their own, they'd have to pay the daily fee.

That's why my friend and I will probably be staying at Coronado when we go next year. He works out religiously (whereas I can live with taking a week off ;-) We're going to be on a budget, and Coronado is the only non-Deluxe/DVC with a gym.

-Rob

Upvote 0

SGT623

Original Poster
Ummm.... I believe that's the policy at all the gyms. It's not necessarily that you weren't a DVC member, but rather that you weren't staying at *that* resort. Resort fitness facilities are only "free" to Guests staying in that particular resort.
-Rob

If that truely is the policy, it was never enforced on me until this visit. I've used the gym at Coronado (not very good) and Contemporay (even worse) before without any problems whatsoever when I signed in as a being from another resort.

Upvote 0

Johneric

Saratoga Gym Policy

When you went to Saratoga Springs for the gym, were you allowed to use the locker room and wet areas? When I went in January, they claimed to enforce an existing policy that only spa customers (those booking massages, etc) could have access to the locker and wet areas. However, in past years, gym visitors could use the lockers and whirlpool, sauna, etc.

Thanks for any updates you might have.

Upvote 0

Phonedave

When you went to Saratoga Springs for the gym, were you allowed to use the locker room and wet areas? When I went in January, they claimed to enforce an existing policy that only spa customers (those booking massages, etc) could have access to the locker and wet areas. However, in past years, gym visitors could use the lockers and whirlpool, sauna, etc.

Thanks for any updates you might have.

This is currently on the Disney (not the DVC) website

Health Club at The Spa at Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort

Health Club at The Spa at Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort features:
  • Cardiovascular room includes treadmills, elliptical, regular and recumbent bicycles, and stair climbers.
  • Weight room machine includes free weights.
  • Personal trainer available by appointment.
  • Use of the Health Club facilities is complimentary when purchasing a spa treatment. (Complimentary for Resort Guests)
  • Ladies' and Gentlemen's locker rooms available with Sauna, Whirlpool, and Steam Room.
Which tells me, if you have access to the Health Club, then you get to go into the locker room.

-dave

Upvote 0

KnK

Last year when we stated at WL I was able to use Sturdy Branches and the locker and steam room area.

They don't have all the spa options there.

Upvote 0

disneytony

Old Key West Gym

Old Key West is fine. It's not the best gym but it has the basics and is not located at a spa, so the fee shouldn't be enforced. (I've never been asked if I was actually staying there). In addition, the resort does have a sauna and jacuzzi right outside the gym. Hope this helps, and enjoy!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom