Anyone Just Back From A Trip That Included Memorial Day???

CMickeyEars

Hi!
This trip planning can be rough at times!!! I desperately need help from those of you who have been to Disney over Memorial Day. We have been to Disney every year for the past 20 years or so but never at the end of May so I'm trying to get some idea of what to expect for next year. I have had "room only" booked for May 30- June 7, 2007 since the beginning of February but then Disney went and added the new "summer season" so I am now rethinking my dates. I thought we would try May 23-31 so we could take advantage of "regular season" rates. Those dates would have us checking in the Wednesday before Memorial Day and checking out the Thursday after. I need to know how really bad the crowds are? If it's a complete madhouse I will just pay the extra money and wait until after Memorial Day. Any thoughts or comments on this time of year at Disney would be most appreciated.

Thanks! :wave:
Carla

shoppingnut

The week before MD isn't so bad, I've been down many times before. You will see the crowd start to pick up a bit on Thursday and Friday. Saturday, Sunday and Monday will be crowded, but no where near xmas time levels.

Upvote 0

Misscmac

I just came back last Wednesday from a weeklong trip (5/24 - 5/31) :cry: It was pretty crowded...some lines had wait times of almost 2 hours (the highest I've ever experienced in the parks) but we used Fast Pass and the Extra Magic Hours (especially morning) and never really had to wait more than 30 minutes for a ride. We found the evening extra magic hour to be slightly more crowded so definitely use the morning ones- they're worth it. Also MGM was pretty crowded because of the Star Wars Weekend so try an avoid that park over the weekend days. :wave:

Upvote 0

durangojim

Just back from a trip 5/25 to 5/30 parks were crowded on the weekend but not bad on Monday. We have gone during the times you mentioned and never had very long waits, just make sure you take advantage of Fastpass. Also somethig else to consider is that the gay day days are during that time. If that offends you or you just prefer not to see that, just do a search on google for the gay day itinerary and avoid the park that they will be at on any given day. My wife and I did that and had very little encounters with the folks enjoying their celebration.

Upvote 0

marypoppins68

I was there this past 5/28 - 6/3 and the parks weren't all that bad, crowd wise. Nothing like the Christmas or Easter crowds. MGM was busy on the weekends due to Star Wars Weekends, but the other parks were fine. One thing I did notice was that the park that was having the Extra Magic Evening Hours started getting a lot busier in the evenings. In my opinion, the extra evening hours weren't really worth it. I'd avoid the park that was staying open late.

Upvote 0

CMickeyEars

Original Poster
It seems like a great time to go from what I have been able to gather so I think I'm going to change my dates. I can use the money I save by going during "regular season" to do more Disney shopping!!! That's always a very fun thing for me!!!
Thanks again for your help I really appreciate it.

Carla

Upvote 0

ToTBellHop

It's a good time if you want the summer heat without the July/August rains and hurricane threats (major hurricanes almost never occur this early in the hurricane season).

Upvote 0

STITCHRULES

We go every year for 5 days over Memorial Day. As mentioned before hurricane season hasn't started and the rain is usually at a minimum. Crowds really aren't as bad as you would expect- use fastpasses and you can get on everything without a wait. MGM is a bit crowded with Star Wars Weekends, but that is why we go- lol! We also hit Typhoon Lagoon this year for the first time and crowds were very manageable! Make sure to make PS for dining though so there is no waiting there, especially if you are dining at MGM.

Upvote 0

shaelyn

Just came back from a trip 5-24 to 5-31, and we had a blast! The crowds weren't bad at ALL Wed-Fri, and the weekend was still manageable, we just got to the parks at opening, did our "must-sees" while it was quiet, took a break in the heat of the afternoon, and stayed in the parks til almost closing, avoiding the park with evening EMH. The last three times I've been has been during President's Week, and the crowds were comparable to that. Longest wait I saw was 120 minutes for Soarin', but with Fastpasses we rode it 3 times! We never waited longer than 15 minutes for anything, and we rode EVERYTHING in the parks haha. Plus, the weather was great -- it only rained once while we were there!

Upvote 0

hokielutz

I got back from a Memorial Day weekend trip there and yes, it was pretty crowded during the actual weekend. Wednesday Thursday were not too bad and Saturday at Epcot got very crowded as the day wore on. Fast passes for TT and Soarin were scooped up quickly. MK in the evening of these days were very packed. The only places you could get on relatively quickly were Buzz, TTA, and Philharmagic. You may luck out on the actual Memorial day holiday with many who are traveling that day.

Upvote 0

PSUMike

Just visited Port Orleans May 27-June 2. It was crowded Saturday & Sunday but I didn't find Monday and after to be too bad at all. The pool was mobbed on Saturday and Sunday. At the parks--typical Disney crowds--lighter in the morning and crowded after lunch. (pool time) Definitely take everyone's advice and do the extra magic hours and fast passes.

Upvote 0

CMickeyEars

Original Poster
I think we'll be fine so I'm definitely changing our dates. I don't want to pay the new "summer season" rates and this is a great way around it!!! Thanks to everyone for their replies. I really appreciate your help!

Carla

Upvote 0

Tiggersgreat

We just returned from our trip 5/28 - 6/3. We stayed at Pop Century the first night and the Dolphin for the rest. The Dolphin desk person - Eric - was awesome. We got the teacher rate and we are a Starwood Preferred guest and he upgraded our room!! We had a balcony with a view of the Boardwalk and Epcot. We could watch the Epcot fireworks every night!! The parks were busy, but not unbearable with the use of Fastpass and the Touringplan.com info. Have fun!! P.S. This is my first post!

Upvote 0

PX57chevy

Just Got Back

I stayed at OKW from 5/20 - 5/27, CBR from 5/27-5/31 and POR from 5/31-6/1 and the lines were not too bad. I think that the EMH are a waste of time now. I liked it better when they limited the number of passes and charged $10 extra....Oh the good ol' days... Word to the wise or a tip, go the the park the has the extra magic hour in the evening the morning after. I found it to be dead in there...

Upvote 0

teamran

Our family has gone the past three out of four years during the Memorial week. It is our favorite. We will never go any later than this time. The crowds are really light on Memorial day and after. The only day we really had to wait in line too long was on Sunday for Soarin. But, hey, Soarin always has a long wait. Enjoy your trip.
:sohappy:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom