Anyone heading to WDW for Christmas 02?

bamboo7

I was just wondering how many people are planning on making a special trip to WDW for this coming Christmas. I'm lucky enough to be going this year (it will be my third disney world christmas). i especially look forward to seeing the enormous christmas tree, the way all of the resorts are decorated, and ESPECIALLY the country bear's christmas show.

also, anyone have any great stories/memories of Christmas at WDW in the past?

JenLUVSmickey

I have never been there during Christmas.

But this year I will be down there for the college program during Christmas. I am Soooooooo excited. I heard it is awesome down there for Christmas and i will be living on property. who-hoo!!
:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

Upvote 0

MilleniumRex

Best of both worlds

I'll be in Orlando from Dec. 4th through 13th. This is the perfect time to go, in my opinion.; the parks are DESERTED. Last time I had a 2 minute wait for Splash Mountain and a 10 minute wait for the Tower of Terror. and yet, all the festive decorations are up and it really feels like the holidays. I know that some parents don't want to take their kids out of school, but It's worth the missed class time. This vacation is pure. Disney. HEAVEN!:) :)

Upvote 0

McArcDes

We are going to be staying at the Grand Floridian from Dec. 4 to Dec. 8th this year.

We are looking forward to Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Parade and the Holiday's around the world at the MK and Epcot.

Upvote 0

disneygal2001

Yes the crowds are really low during this time. The Osbourne Spectacle of Lights goes through the Jan 6 (that when they were over in the Jan of 2002). The Decorations are wonderful at this time of year and you should try and hop from Resorts so you can see the difference in decorating styles. I worked at the Caribbean Beach Resort during the fall of last year and on Christmas we hung little red bags that had candy in them on all 2,112 doors of the resort so that guests would have something on Christmas. By the way it can be really cold during Christmas time down there. On Christmas last year it was fourty degrees and there was a bit of wind. So come prepared for any type of weather.

Hope this helps a little bit.
Sorry if this doesn't make any sense.

Disney Gal 2001

Upvote 0

Cheryl

For the past four years, my husband and I (and Nicky too) have started off our Christmas holiday by visiting WDW, usually right after Thankgiving...the first weekend in December. The Specticle of Lights is pretty cool; however, my very very favorite thing to do is go to the Very Merry Christmas Party at MK. It's the best. It sells out pretty fast as well. Disney is so magical at any time of year but truly at Christmastime. The visitors there are much more friendlier and the lights, music and atmosphere is breathtaking! I wish everyday could be like that. It's a great way to start your holiday as well...we come back home, buy our tree and play our video of our trip while eating popcorn and having cider. Very cool says our 3 1/2 year old son. =)

I wanna live in that castle!
24 days to I see the Mouse!

Cheryl

Upvote 0

disneyfan123

Christmas is the best time to visit Disney World the decorations are fabulous, make sure you go to Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party this is excellent and the fireworks afterwards are truly magnificent!!!!!

For all of you who are going to Disney over Christmas have a fantastic time!!!!!!

*only 18 days to go*
(so close and yet so far.....)
:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

Upvote 0

conntom

Christmas fun

IT is a special time the Park is close at 5:00PM then it open up at
7:00 PM you must have a special Pass. then there is a special
Christmas Parade there are cookies and Hot Chocolate they are
free all the rides are open and they take a picture of you or the
family. there are special shows. Then at 12:00am you have the
Christmas Parade and fireworks that are the best and there is
snow on main street. It was a lot of fun :sohappy: when I went
the Pass was $ 34.00 I dont no now:)

Upvote 0

Cheryl

:lol: The Very Merry Christmas Party is just so enjoyable. Disney has a hit with this one! Disney closes the park early and then opens again for people who bought tickets for the VMCP...you might think that this doesn't sound all that fantastic since the park closes early for the earlier patrons but it's just the best for attendees of the VMCP. From what I understand, they limit the amount of tickets to sell so the MK is not 'overly' crowded and all the extra shows and parades and other extras (such as the family picture or the free sugar cookies and hot chocolate) are just the icing on the cake. I think the cost of the tickets last year were like $34-36 each and then they charged $2.00 handling charge for sending them to you (we always order early just to make sure we can get in while we're there). They have the dates posted at the disneyworld.com address. This year I think it starts on December 1st, which is probably when we'll be going. We always go to celebrate my husband's birthday (Nov. 30th) and start the Christmas festivities. =)

What else was really cool which they don't do anymore is they used to have a musical show, the last year they had the show (I think it was like 1995 or 96), it was held at the Contemporary Resort in one of their banquet rooms or convention rooms. It was awesome! The singers, dancers, characters, music, dinner, everything was phenominal! I wish they would bring that back b/c it was one of the best things to do at Christmastime. Anyone else miss it too?

Cheryl:p

Upvote 0

MinnieFan

We will be at WDW this year Nov. 29 - Dec 6. I can't wait to see Disney World at Christmas! We already received our MVMCP tickets, and our PS is set at Liberty Tree. Only 163 more days.:)

Upvote 0

Worldphile

We have gone to WDW the past two years in the second week of Dec. and I agree with everyone so far about the decorations, MVMCP, etc.

However, be prepared for changeable weather. Two years ago when we went, the nightime temps dropped to the low 30s (Fahrenheit) and were in the 40s during the day. We almost didn't bring our cold weather gear down with us, but we did and ended up wearing our down coats, gloves and knit caps. All of the shops sold out of sweatshirts, knit caps, etc. This type of weather is unusual, but possible so be prepared.

This past trip, the weather was more normal, but still too cold to swim.

Other than that, enjoy! It is one of the best times to visit WDW.

Upvote 0

Cheryl

I would have to agree 100% with you on the weather down in Florida. It certainly changes when it wants to! When we were down there for our extended weekend, it was too cold to go swimming (although it didn't stop everyone from going) and it got down to the low to mid 30s at night for our VMCP. Funny though, we were walking around in Christmas-type sweats and jeans that we had brought anyway to wear for that night. It's been kinda cool for the past couple VMCP that we went to. So, being that way, I told my parents who went down a week after we came back to pack sweatshirts and jeans for the VMCP. Would you believe that they had a heatwave and it was like 84 during the day and 73 at night. They had basked in the sun all day and were sweating their buns off at night in their sweatshirts. Ended up buying some dago-ts (sp?) just to cool themselves off. So, the moral of the story is to definitely check out either on the Weather Channel or locally what the weather is going to be if you are travelling down to Florida in December!

Also, on my previous post, I wrote that I wished that Disney would bring back the Christmas show that I saw at the Contemporary Resort back in 1997....found my pictures from there and the show was called "Jolly Holidays!" It was really cool....hopefully someone will hear me and listen! :p

We're heading down there the first weekend for the VMCP...I better get my butt in gear and order our tickets! Unfortunately I don't think we'll be able to stay on property this time though (it's only for 4 days though). Disney's having some real good deals that go thru the beginning of October...maybe as the time comes closer, the deals will be extended! One can only hope! We loved staying at the Polynesian at Christmastime!

Have a DISNEY day!

Cheryl

Upvote 0

2much2do

Originally posted by Cheryl
I think the cost of the tickets last year were like $34-36 each and then they charged $2.00 handling charge for sending them to you (we always order early just to make sure we can get in while we're there).
Cheryl:p

Does anyone know if Annual Passholders get a discount on this? Are the cookies, hot cocoa, fake snow and parade really worth it???? As an annual passholder, I can go for "free" during the day and see the christmas decorations, etc. Also, the time after Thanksgiving and before Christmas is already low in crowds, so having the park not be too crowded doesn't sound that special to me. Is the Christmas parade only done at the MVMCP??? Do they have the regular parades during the day??? Seems a lot to charge just to get some "free" cookies.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom