Anyone familiar with Nero?

WDWKing

Original Poster
Hey guys, I just wanted to know if anyone here was familiar with nero. I am trying to burn a VCD (.mpg) using Memorex CD-RW 700MB 80minutes. The file is 658 MB and when I try to write the cd it keeps on telling me to "insert an empty medium" even though the CD is blank. Does Nero Support CD-RW's? When I try CD-R's it works but I only have 74 minute ones which are only 650 MB. Hmmm, maybe I should take ANOTHER trip to staples and hope I didn't blow $32.99 on CD-RW's.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Yes Nero supports CDRWs. I would suggest upgrading to the latest version from www.nero.com (its free for registered users). I find updates to Nero to usually make massive differences! Good luck!! :)

NowInc

As steve said..upgrade...I had a problem with Nero not recognizing my burner (tho an earlier version seemed to have no problems)...2 days later an update came out and it worked...

DisneyJedi

If your burner supports it, you can set Nero to 'overburn' to effectively fit a few more MBs on a CDR. You may need to update the firmware on your CDRW drive to be able to overburn and this can be risky if the update is interrupted (could hose the drive). What I can't figure out is the fact the CDR disc will say 700MB capacity, yet I can fit a 800+MB MPEG2 file as an SVCD on the disc. Can someone explain why this is possible?

NowInc

Originally posted by DisneyJedi
If your burner supports it, you can set Nero to 'overburn' to effectively fit a few more MBs on a CDR. You may need to update the firmware on your CDRW drive to be able to overburn and this can be risky if the update is interrupted (could hose the drive). What I can't figure out is the fact the CDR disc will say 700MB capacity, yet I can fit a 800+MB MPEG2 file as an SVCD on the disc. Can someone explain why this is possible?

First off..i do NOT reccomend overburning..its not something the "average" user should be doing ;)

Second...overburning is basically the process of burning a few more rings onto a CD then what are originally intended..the payoff is of course the rist of hosing your drive and killing the CD in the process...its really not worth the extra 50-100 megs (in my opinion)..especially since its a 50/50 kind of deal...where half the time it wont work right.

DisneyJedi

I did not realize I could go over 50-100MB with an overburn. The most I ever went over was like 6MB. :) I'm real stingy with my discs too.. I try to use the entire capacity before I make a burn. If overburning is so dangerous, I will be careful about going over any more than 10mb for any given overburn. I've only overburnt a couple times when an MPG1/2 I created was a meg or so too big to fit on my VCD or SVCD.

The SVCDs I was talking about.. I do not overburn on those.. I was just curious how the files are usually around 800MB, yet they fit on a 700MB CDR. The same holds true for big WAV files burnt on a CD as CDDA. I'm guessing it is the way the data is laid out on the disc.. maybe a file system overhead thing? Like if I burnt a 700MB WAV file to a CDR straight-up (just the file on a CD) versus burning that same file as a regular audio CD (CDDA). The CDDA version would show additional capacity. The WAV-file version would show I utilized the entire capacity of the disc. I'm betting file system overhead.

NowInc

If you right click on any file...you will see 2 sizes..the actual size..and its size on disc..some files are smaller "physically" (meaning they will fit on a CD)..but are actually larger when opened ;)

WDWKing

Original Poster
Thanks, I got it to work now. I have been making VCD's the past couple of weeks that's why I haven't been around here lately. For those of you familiar with burning VCD's, I have been having problems lately with a movie. It plays PERFECTLY on my cpu but when I burn it (at a resolution of 352x240) there is all this blockiness. What is it? How can I get rid of it? when I encode at a resolution of 352x480 the blocks are very small/rare or never come up but the picture is also smaller. What should I do?

spagmoid

Account Suspended
I'm not sure about that, DisneyJedi. It may have something to do with the different definition of a megabyte (1000000 bytes, or 1048576 bytes)

750 "mb" in the first system could be called 786.4 "mb" in the other

StormalongBay

Have you tried to burn this into an actual VCD yet?

Without getting into too much technical information (Which can be found at vcdhelp.com), vcd's are burned differently by the burning software. It does not burn them like a data disk. Data disk use error correction and are burned using, I believe, 2048 bytes/ sector. VCDs do not have this error correction and are burned using 2354 bytes/sector (Can't remember exact figure but this number does stand out). You can not go by the size of the mpeg1 file to see if burning it as a VCD will fit the disk.
If it is a true VCD within specs, then look at the total time that the blank can hold. Then look at the total time of the mpeg1 file.

Can the movie fit within the blank's time spec?

Edited: Typos

spagmoid

Account Suspended
I don't really understand this, but apparently "700MB" CD's hold 780KB, and standard "650MB" CD's hold 730MB

Anyone have an explanation for this?

DisneyJedi

I have been burning 800MB MPEG2 files as SVCDs onto 80-minute CDRs and they fit fine. A 74-minute CDR can hold up to 700MB in MPEG files. Apparently the file system is different for VCD and SVCD formats, so you can fit more data in those formats (less file overhead than a normal archive burn). If you were to try a normal archive burn of your files, then the 650 and 700MB limits you see on the CDR package would apply.

I have found it very convenient to use a free program called VCDEasy to drag all my MPEGs into it, then I can add chapters or stop points. After that I tell it to write a CD image as a BIN file. Ideally VCDEasy is suppossed to allow you to burn also, but my burner doesn't like it. It will create a BIN and CUE file. I found loading the CUE file into CDRWIN will allow me to burn discs fine. By grouping a bunch of MPEGs into a single BIN file I can maximize space on the CDR. Plus I have nifty points to jump to on each MPEG and also between each MPEG on the disc, so the skip buttons work on my DVD player.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom