Anyone ever paid for another family to go to WDW?

Spikerdink

About 5 years ago, I surprised one of my friends who had been through a rough time with a trip. I paid for her plane ticket, admission ticket and food. I have DVC, so we used my points.

On Christmas Day, she was having dinner with another of my friends and her family. After they had dinner, some gifts were exchanged. I had given my host friend a few gifts to sprinkle in - a Disney mug, Disney jammies, a Tink plush....and then at the end, I had a gift card from the Disney story that you could record a message. I had recorded a message that "on February 13th, you are getting on a plane and coming with me to see Mickey and Minnie and the gang! Merry Christmas!!" Needles to say, she was shocked. We had a great time, and I wish I could do more things like that!

loveofamouse

I've paid for my parents many times. I would love to surprise a friend's family who has a terminally ill boy, but can't afford that.

I would buy the tickets and give a check for hotel and travel separately.

wogwog

I've paid for my parents many times. I would love to surprise a friend's family who has a terminally ill boy, but can't afford that.

I would buy the tickets and give a check for hotel and travel separately.
Suggest that family contact "Make a Wish".

Longers

I paid for my sister and nephews to go to euro disney about 5 years ago (Florida for my husband and I costs over £3,500 so for another 3 I just couldn't afford it), we packed the kids bags and my sister followed us with the kids (without them knowing) to the euro star. They thought they were going on a day out! When they got out of the car and saw my husband and I they said are you spending the day with us too? We said "well we are going to see Mickey for 4 days and we did say next time we went we would take you - do you want to come and meet him with us " their faces were priceless. They then said they couldn't as they didn't have any clothes. We opened up the boot to show them their suitcases and they started jumping around. It was great I just really wish I could get them to Florida.

Last edited:

Csmith041177

We have never taken an entire family. However, we have taken one of my son's best friends with us who, without that, would have never gotten an opportunity to go. I will say that it was the most rewarding money we have ever spent, and my son's friend was the happiest kid on earth that week. We are going to take him with us again next year. If you can afford to do something like that, it is so rewarding.

Zipadeelady

Let me send you my name and address in case you decide to send a family! ;)

Just kidding. We've been blessed and have been able to go 4 times now. I would love to be able to send a couple of different families to Disney. My Sister in Law keeps saying she would love to go but can't afford it. Her kids absolutely love Disney movies and characters I just know they're missing out on so much.

Poofiesdream

I reconnected with a co worker and she was going thru some real hard times. I invited her to Disney to celebrate are birthdays that were around the same time. She came up with her ticket money and I payed for the room. I surprised her with buying the dinning plan and had a new Disney shirt for her to open every morning. I also got the photopass so she would never forget her trip. Then I surprised her with Halloween Party tickets. She got a surprise everyday. I even got her a Disney Backpack, pins, and suitcase to take on the trip. We had a great time and I enjoyed it as much as her!

Potter

Who in their right mind would give $4,000 to $6,000 to another family for a Disney trip unless they were filthy rich and their own family didn't need the money? Paying for parents or a friend to go with you is one thing (we paid for our DD's friend to go with us last time) but to pay for an entire family to go is crazy given how expensive it is. Also, if the family is broke, then wouldn't that money have gone to better use instead of a vacation (clothes, food, dentist, etc..).

216bruce

Booked my niece and her fiance' at VWL for a week for their honeymoon this coming July using my points, but never have donated points to an anonymous family for a trip. Great idea, but would be clueless on how to do it.

216bruce

Who in their right mind would give $4,000 to $6,000 to another family for a Disney trip unless they were filthy rich and their own family didn't need the money? Paying for parents or a friend to go with you is one thing (we paid for our DD's friend to go with us last time) but to pay for an entire family to go is crazy given how expensive it is. Also, if the family is broke, then wouldn't that money have gone to better use instead of a vacation (clothes, food, dentist, etc..).
Evidently, from this thread there are a goodly number of folks not "in their right mind". There are a lot of scenarios where this act is just one of unconditional charity and love of your fellow man and the gift is totally appropriate. Yeah, for those who are dead-broke the money would be a better and more practical donation but for families where they are "getting by" or for folks who have just went through a bad time/tragedy this is a wonderful act.

Jjvardy

Here is my story. My wife and I donated a 5 night stay at Saratoga Springs, 2BR stay any time the winning bidder wanted to go, to out curch youth group.
The family that bought it has been friends of ours for 15 years. When it was within the 6 month window, which was in Jan, I find out the husband has left home, and filed for divorce.
This family has very little in terms of $, but I felt it was important for her to still take her 3 kids and enjoy time away. So I sent notice out to friends of ours at church and local community, and was able to raise $3000 for them to go on the trip. They will be there starting June 8th. I hope they have the time of their lives.

Richards070712

Original Poster
Your name suits you...this is about giving to a family that just can't afford to go to Disney. I know a lot of people who have clothes, food, and place to live, but just can't afford the "extras". I'm rich by no means, but if I can afford to sacrifice one year and reward a good family, why shouldn't I?

Kenniejj

I think this is such a sweet idea and thought. Karma will be bringing you many blessings even having the idea of doing this. I would think that getting a travel agent involved would really help you out keeping it anonymous (Like in P.S I Love You....sappy, but great, movie haha!). Maybe leave a letter in their mailbox with directions about who to call to get it all started. Fingers crossed you can pull this off exactly how you want it!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom