anyone ever go in Dec?

GoGiants!

My family and I are going to wdw in Dec. 04 during x-mas week, will be 1st time. What is it like? Weather, but most importantly, ARE LINES SHORTER?

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
Lines during the first two weeks of December.....very short.
Lines during Christmas week.....very long.

Terribly sorry to break this news to you, but Christmas is one of THE most crowded times in the year. The atmosphere is great though---everyone is in high spirits. It will be enjoyable, but the lines won't be.

Upvote 0

GoofyFan1

Don't let the crowds deter you. Christmas at WDW is great. The people have the Christmas spirit, the decorations are beautiful and you can't miss the candlelight processional or Osborne lights.

Yes the lines can be long, but the weather is beautiful, esp. for those of us coming from the arctic part of NY state.

I'll be there from 12/23-1/2 and can't wait! :sohappy:

Upvote 0

Texas84

We always go first or second week of December. Lines are short, weather is great, and all the Christmas stuff is already in full swing. We'll be there Dec. 5!

Upvote 0

tigger248

GoGiants! said:
My family and I are going to wdw in Dec. 04 during x-mas week, will be 1st time. What is it like? Weather, but most importantly, ARE LINES SHORTER?

Christmas week is absolutely one of the most crowded times of the year! It's also one of the most wonderful times to go. If possible, I would recommend trying to go 2 or 3 weeks before Christmas just because the parks are much less busy. It's like an explosian of people over night as soon as the school kids get out on break. Two years ago, all lines were very long. I think Test Track's line was over three hours long. The "short" lines I think were around like 45 minutes to an hour. It's not really a whole lot worse than summer, but it is a little bit. But, the decorations and special activities are all worth it. Just be prepared for the crowds. The weather is great! During the day I think it's like 60's to 70's. At night it does get cool though so I'd bring a jacket or sweater. Nights seemed to be around upper 30's or 40's. Have a wonderful vacation (I'm sure you will :xmas: ) Nothing beats the atmosphere of Christmas at Disney. The decorations, parade, and shows are breathtaking. Try to do Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party too. It's a lot of fun.

:xmas:

Upvote 0

mjgbpackers

Yes, we have gone to WDW right before christmas December 10th leaving (we drove from Wisconsin) and leaving on the 23rd so we were home for christmas eve and we have also been there leaving the day after christmas and leaving on the 5th of January. This really is our favorite time to be at Disney. We have found this to be a very peaceful time - sure there are lines but nothing like the summer months or even spring break. I think we have at least 9 trips under our belts. WDW is so beautiful during the holidays. Enjoy it as there is no better place to spend the holiday season than at Disney. It is so neat to see the make shift snow. The city of Celebration puts on a snow flake festival of some sorts - I don't remember the name, but we usually stay in Kissimmee at the same resort and Celebration is right there. It really was alot of fun!! It is also so neat to see the floridians all bundled up and here we are from Wisconsin, used to the cold and just enjoying the weather with our shorts and tank tops on. Don't get me wrong it can be cold at that time of year. In January of 2002 when we brought our daughter down so she could participate in the WDW College Program we hit some really cold weather - they hadn't had this kind of weather in years - but each night when we returned from the parks my oldest daughter and I put our suits on and went for the pool and the hot tub and there was one night at 11:00 p.m. it was only 40 degrees and we still put on our suits and our cheeseheads and sat in the hot tub!!!! They kept calling us the Cheeseheads from the Frozen Tundra. By now you know we are Green Bay Packer Fans. When we left and left our daughter down there until August when we went to get her - she told us after we got home that it was still so cold for the Floridians and it was so funny to see how they all dressed. She had her shorts and tanks on everyday when she wasn't working at the Magic Kindgom. Really you will have a blast - just remember to bring a few sweatshirts and some jeans - you could even throw in a wool hat and some mittens or gloves - or you can buy them there but you will pay big bucks for them. We had them in the van as we left home in 20 below weather. Since my daughters stay at WDW we had learned all the in's and out's and have really enjoyed our trips more since then. When we went down in August to get her she got us a room at one of the Disney Resorts and yes it was nice - but we were never there - so to me there is no need to have this fancy room and stuff. But then again, we always have a vehicle so we could come and go as we wanted. So if you are not taking or renting a vehicle the resorts are the best because they have their buses and all. Don't forget to visit Downtown Disney for shopping - it is awesome!!! We pretty much made that a every other day stop. We never really bought much of anything at the parks, because it was easier to buy it a Downtown Disney and carry all your packages. If you have never been to WDW there is the biggest Disney Store - awesome place and there is also the Days of Christmas shop where you can get ornaments - clothing embroidered - just everything!!! Enjoy your trip and if you want more info - just leave a note I'll call myself "mj in wisconsin". I don't get on this site everyday but I can always get you my email address for more info. Do have fun that's what it is all about.
mj in wisconsin

Upvote 0

brich

That's the only time of year I go now. My family and I will be there Dec 1 through Dec 12. Lines are usually short, but sometimes I've seen an occasional busy day. For the most part, day time temps are very pleasant, shorts and t-shirts. The nights can get chilly though. Given the choice of times to go, I find this a perfect time. Plus, as mentioned, Christmas time at Disney is great. The whole month is Christmas there. Be sure to do Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party. Really a fun time... See you there !! :wave:

Upvote 0

Philth

I'm taking my family to WDW this christmas (15th to the 31st). Its their first trip - my thrid. We're so looking forward to it (although my son doesnt know - telling him the night before we fly out!!!).

Temperature wise - 70s is like the height of summer for us in the UK! So its going to be fantastic. We will have the pool heating on though.

Does anyone have any suggestions of where to go on Christmas Day? Any other tips and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Upvote 0

conntom

Hi GoGiants! you will love it I will be there on Dec5 and at DisneyMGM
there is the Osborne lights over 4million of them it's great.
You will love the way the Parks look and the show.
Then there is Mickey Very Merry Christmas Party that is a lot of fun.
It's in the Magic Kingdom at night there Christmas cookies hot Coco
and fireworks that are great it my 22 year going to WDW and I can't
wait to go.

:xmas:

Upvote 0

rosebud's mom

MJ in Wisconsin, you made me smile ! You're so right about the weather being relative to what you are accustomed to before arriving in Florida. I'm an Ohio native who moved to Florida for about 8 years. ( Now I'm back north, and missing only Disney ! ) I would spend Christmas day on the beach with my children marveling at the natives bundled up and shivering.

To anyone travelling from a nothern clime in December, sweatshirts or light jackets would most likely be fine, and by noon you'll be shedding them. One other thing to think about, your northern skin will need sunscreen, unless you want to go back with a burn. Even in December the Florida sun can be brutal.

Enjoy. We're going to be there the 5th - the 10th.

Upvote 0

fjm777

Texas84 said:
We always go first or second week of December. Lines are short, weather is great, and all the Christmas stuff is already in full swing. We'll be there Dec. 5!

And so will Pop Warner Youth Football, Cheerleading and Dance

Upvote 0

Mom's the word

We used to go all the time in December, a bit earlier than Xmas though. For northern birds the weather was wonderful, we often packed jackets and longer pants for evenings and parked them in a locker during the day then changed after the sun went down, everyone was comfortable for the evening. I'll never forget being at Typhoon Lagoon on a cooler day. The park employees were all in jackets and sweaters in the rain while we ran around the park having a blast, I'm sure they thought we were nuts! Enjoy your trip!

Upvote 0

cherrynegra

Texas84 said:

Just a reminder to everyone that there is going to be a meet the first weekend of December, and the people in charge of planning the festivities have come up with a holiday dinner buffet with a viewing of the Osborne Christmas lights and I belive reserved seating for Fantasmic. So if you're going to be there the first weekend in Dec, you can follow up with the planning at the link below.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?p=729404#post729404

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom