Anyone Else Think CM Lanyards Are Tacky?

TP2000

No, you are not alone.

I can't believe Disney spends all that money on elaborate and expensive uniforms for their CM's, all designed to play up a specific theme or story. A butler at a southern mansion, a conductor on a 1900's railroad, a miner in the desert southwest, etc., etc.

And then they ruin it all by making the CM wear this tacky blue lanyard with all these cornball pins on it. It totally ruins the look.

And I have always thought it was very tacky on costumed Cast Members!

Now cue the long line of people who don't care about showmanship or theme and will tell us how their adorable 5 year old daughter just loves to pin trade with CM's and how special it makes her feel. :hurl: In 3... 2.... 1....

castlecake2.0

I completely agree with TP2000, they look very tacky, and wreck the look of some of the costumes. However they do get you alot more interaction with the guests, I just wish there was a way we could wear them that wasn't so 'BAM IM WEARING PINS!', but what can you do.

In all honestly the tackiness of some of the costumes themselves far outweigh the tackiness of the lanyards. The Tommorowland costumes are atrocious and I would hardly say that they're properly themed and that's just to name the worst.

krankenstein

I've never really thought about it. I can see where you are coming from, but it doesn't ruin the show for me. I guess I am fine with it. :shrug:

raven

No, you are not alone.

I can't believe Disney spends all that money on elaborate and expensive uniforms for their CM's, all designed to play up a specific theme or story. A butler at a southern mansion, a conductor on a 1900's railroad, a miner in the desert southwest, etc., etc.

And then they ruin it all by making the CM wear this tacky blue lanyard with all these cornball pins on it. It totally ruins the look.

And I have always thought it was very tacky on costumed Cast Members!

Now cue the long line of people who don't care about showmanship or theme and will tell us how their adorable 5 year old daughter just loves to pin trade with CM's and how special it makes her feel. :hurl: In 3... 2.... 1....

ALL CMs are costumed. Some are more themed then others but they are all still "costumed."

Pin Trading is HUGE so the lanyards aren't going anywhere soon.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Well they're not ALL lanyards. CM's have the option to use a lanyard or a smaller looking one that clips on to your pants and IMO it looks less intrusive to the costume design.

...then again I always wear the lanyard :lookaroun

devoy1701

I don't really think they're tacky. It's not like we don't know that we're in Disney World and that pin trading is crazy huge there! I don't think it takes away from the costumes at all. I'll even go farther to say that pin trading greatly enhances my experience when I'm at the world. I only trade with CMs (those traders at DTD scare me) and a simple pin trade has brewed up 15-20 minute conversations with CMs that I normally wouldn't have. The lanyards are almost like a sign that say "hey, come visit with me!"

Bug715

I don't really think they're tacky. It's not like we don't know that we're in Disney World and that pin trading is crazy huge there! I don't think it takes away from the costumes at all. I'll even go farther to say that pin trading greatly enhances my experience when I'm at the world. I only trade with CMs (those traders at DTD scare me) and a simple pin trade has brewed up 15-20 minute conversations with CMs that I normally wouldn't have. The lanyards are almost like a sign that say "hey, come visit with me!"

Me too!! Its impossible to trade for anything.

Yeah I am not a big fan of the lanyards especially on the people who walk around with clipboards.
I understand that but they normally have the better pins!

I always wore the small square lanyard because I didn't like the idea of people looking at my chest (the name tag there was enough) or grabbing at the lanyard around my neck. Also the hip one could be hidden standing behind the counter.

I don't really mind lanyards as long as normal business isn't disturbed. If I like a pin and the CM has a line I will get in line if the pin is worth it.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
I still don't 'get' the whole pin trading thing. :shrug: I have a whole bucket full of pins that I should 'trade' but I never have the time...mebbe this year
:shrug:

EPCOT Explorer

Yep.

I think the pins look like carp too.Compared to the retail/rack pins, the CM's are always tiny, look like scrap metal and rarely have a good theme.

Coupled with the overly showwy lanyard...ICK.

What disney COULD do, is creat CM pins for each attraction. (HM CMs have HM pins on their HM Coustume themed lanyard.

THAT would work.

jhastings74

Honestly, I chose the clip on instead of the neck lanyard because I heard horror stories of kids grabbing the neck lanyard...plus it is lower on the belt loop, so it's easier for kids to look at it. I loved pin trading...it was honestly one of the best parts of the job. The drawback to wearing it low was that pins always got caught on the counters and would pop off...

...and it was funny to me how much pin trading went on behind the scenes between cast members...the guests often never got to see the 'good' cast member-only pins because people would trade them before ever going on stage...

And as far as the 'tacky' part, I worked in Dinoland and I'm pretty sure our costumes were hands-down the tackiest...we actually DID have to wear our 3 pieces of 'flair' each day!!!!

(but never had to do those pesky TPS reports...)

DisneyMusician2

Yep.

I think the pins look like carp too.Compared to the retail/rack pins, the CM's are always tiny, look like scrap metal and rarely have a good theme.

Coupled with the overly showwy lanyard...ICK.

What disney COULD do, is creat CM pins for each attraction. (HM CMs have HM pins on their HM Coustume themed lanyard.

THAT would work.

I hate those dead fish pins.:lookaroun:lookaroun (Sorry, couldn't resist!)

But I think more themed pins would be a welcome addition, especially resort and attraction-specific ones.

Tinkrbell

I work in costuming & I will agree that our costumes were no where near the worst ones on property, but they're bad. We wear bowling-style shirts. The back is royal blue, the sleeves & collar are maroon. The left half of the front is teal & the right is royal blue. We dont have to deal with pin lanyards because we are a backstage role, but even cms who are never seen by guests get bad costumes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom