Anyone Else Prefer Smugglers Run to ROTR

Trackmaster

I think at its core it's better to classify ToT as a dark ride. It's obvious why 99% or more label ToT a drop Tower but with its horizontal movement that to me is enough to view it more as a dark ride with very special capabilities.

At the very least, I wish that other drop towers at least used ToT's drop technology where its mechanically controlled, drops faster than gravity, and goes on for a while, I don't even need the horizontal movement.

tk924

I'd have to say that I do prefer SM to RotR. It's not so much about the RotR ride experience as it is who this ride, and the whole GE area, was designed for. The current LFL president did say this..."So we really should think about do we want to build a Tatooine, and build what all the fifty-somethings remember Star Wars is or do we want to build something else which is going to appeal to all the upcoming generations who are going to know the new stories". Well, right now I'm one of those fifty-somethings with money to spend... somewhere else. Let's see all the upcoming generations and where they spend their future money.
Also, Star Tours, which used to be my fav, has also been changed up for another generation of SW fan. I used to be excited to ride ST, but no more. I guess it's only a matter of time before that classic AT-AT and Endor set are changed out for the upcoming generations.

UNCgolf

I think Smuggler's Run is incredibly disappointing. The Millenium Falcon walk through and cockpit is fantastic but the ride itself is a bad video game. There are 25-30 year old computer games that provide a dramatically superior experience when it comes to pretending to fly a Star Wars spaceship.

Last edited:

JustAFan

I must have been on the wrong rides...both in Anaheim and Orlando.

is this a joke criticism?
Sorry, not a criticism lol. I was taken aback. I can understand if someone doesn't care for the rides or doesn't like Star Wars in general. I was baffled by the "little re-ride value". Either way, to each his own. :)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Sorry, not a criticism lol. I was taken aback. I can understand if someone doesn't care for the rides or doesn't like Star Wars in general. I was baffled by the "little re-ride value". Either way, to each his own. :)

I’ve spent so much time with Star Wars I probably qualify as a clinical researcher...

millennium falcon is ok...I like some things about it. But it will be better with a reprogram as the “mission” isn’t great and let’s face it: based on a failed series that didn’t get off the ground.

the other one...I’m more reserved as I don’t think many have gotten on it. I was very (quietly) excited to go on it two weeks ago. I thought there was too much hubbub for it NOT to be really good. So I never spoiled it/ read reviews/watched the online ride videos...etc.
I’ll leave it there. People should ride it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think Smuggler's Run is incredibly disappointing. The Millenium Falcon walk through and cockpit is fantastic but the ride itself is a bad video game. There are 25-30 year old computer games that give a dramatically superior experience when it comes to pretending to fly a Star Wars spaceship.
...that’s a common stance

EngineerMom

???

Is this a joke? Smuggler's Run is a different ride each time. Rise is one of the best rides Disney has done in some time.
Not a joke.
Unless you are one of the pilots on Smuggler's Run you are so far back from a SMALL screen......That is way others in my group who don't get motion sick said they felt it on Smugglers
I think Smuggler's Run is incredibly disappointing. The Millenium Falcon walk through and cockpit is fantastic but the ride itself is a bad video game. There are 25-30 year old computer games that provide a dramatically superior experience when it comes to pretending to fly a Star Wars spaceship.
Agree 100% we loved the queue and when you see the area of the Millenium Falcon where they hung out in the movie, played chess, etc.

So Smuggler's Run is a video game. What does that mean - that to really enjoy it you would have to ride it LOTS and get GOOD at it. Not really practical on a WDW ride where many of us have to travel to get there and the wait is long.......So my family DOES love Toy Story Mania which is also a video game, HOWEVER, what we enjoy is we can all play (not you are sitting in the back of the ship doing doing much while others drive) and we play and compete for scores against eachother.

OH and BTW I am a HUGE Star Wars fan. When the first 3 movies came out I saw them over 10 times in the theater and then owned the video tapes and watched tehm a ton.......so Mullenium Falcon - COOL! Video game with small screen which is hard to play - Not great.

RTOR - nice. And the HUGE room with all the storm troopers looks REALLY cool, but if that space was used for a LONGER ride. The ride is COOL but then it is over.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom