Anyone else not like Cars Land?

HongKongFu

3) The footprint the land takes up is huge

What kind of reason is that?!
That has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with Carsland as a lousy chosen and ultimately executed theme.

You do not get to add that to your list of detriments/complaints

Furthermore your reasons 1 and 2 are more or less the same complaint.

And your 5 and 6 are more or less the same complaint as well.

By the way I do agree with your overall point: Carsland disappoints

RobWDW1971

I can imagine the inevitable whining thread for that:

“They should’ve based it on the original Car Trilogy”

“Why isnt the Cars theme blaring everywhere in the land?”

“Disney ruined Cars when they bought Pixar! Now it’s all about female and minority cars”

And if they did any of those things, people would be rightfully complaining. But UNLIKE what they did with SWGE there were fantastic creative choices made using the characters and music people enjoy and focusing on actually entertaining everyone with a fun and whimsical land and not box themselves into a ridiculous "immersion" concept that further limits what they can do.

And this is from someone who only saw the first Cars movie and didn't really care for it.

RobWDW1971

Cars Land is the best themed addition to any Disney Park in the US (considering the amount of area they had to work with) in the last 20 years easy*. On top of that RR is a very fun ride that anchors it. I wish every Disney theme park addition was done as well as Cars Land.

*(I've yet to see SW:GE. Have not been to Toy Story Land in DHS but I'm going to be bold and say the statement still stands :p).

Feel free to be bold. Throw Pandora in that bucket as well.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
And if they did any of those things, people would be rightfully complaining. But UNLIKE what they did with SWGE there were fantastic creative choices made using the characters and music people enjoy and focusing on actually entertaining everyone with a fun and whimsical land and not box themselves into a ridiculous "immersion" concept that further limits what they can do.

And this is from someone who only saw the first Cars movie and didn't really care for it.

I understand where you’re coming from but they both work for me in different ways. Probably because I’m not that familiar with the Cars films and I’m not hung up on Star Wars only being the original trilogy. It also helps that I didn’t go into either land with a chip on my shoulder looking for every flaw.

Last edited:

Curious Constance

Cars land is okay, visually it has its great moments, but aside from that I get bored. I don’t care for any of the rides that much, so I don’t have nearly as much fun there. And what I’ve always found interesting is neither does the rest of my family.
We usually will fastpass Racers once during a trip, but no one ever wants to go back a second time.
We ate at Flo’s once. No one was wowed by the food, but it was nice sitting with a view of the waterfall inspired by one of our favorite natural places to go, Multnomah Falls, but when you spend as much money as we do getting to DL, you can’t sit around for long.
I feel like Carsland was the first in a series of additions that just overall miss the mark and can’t hold a candle to what’s already there.

RobWDW1971

It also helps that I didn’t go into either land with a chip on my shoulder looking for every flaw.

I went in spending $1,000+ to take my family and friends during the reservation period and got a half-finished, abandoned land. I not only wasn't looking for flaws, I was looking (and paying) to be amazed and was disappointed at the unfortunate creative failure it is.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
I went in spending $1,000+ to take my family and friends during the reservation period and got a half-finished, abandoned land. I not only wasn't looking for flaws, I was looking (and paying) to be amazed and was disappointed at the unfortunate creative failure it is.

So you didn’t know Rise wasn’t going to be open, the entertainment had been cut and the land was based on the sequel trilogy? C’mon. It’s really hard to take you seriously.

Last edited:

TrainsOfDisney

So you didn’t know Rise wasn’t going to be open, the entertainment had been cut and the land was based on the sequel trilogy? C’mon.

How would anyone of us know that the entertainment had been cut? The droids not roaming the land had been announced, but otherwise no one would know until after they booked a trip for the preview / opening.

Why don’t you explain what you like about the land? The design? The shopping experience? The app game? The ride? What makes it a winner for you? All of those have positive elements. The design is especially nice at night.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
How would anyone of us know that the entertainment had been cut? The droids not roaming the land had been announced, but otherwise no one would know until after they booked a trip for the preview / opening.

I’m pretty sure there were rumblings of the entertainment being cut quite a while before the actual land opened. I remember it being discussed on here a lot.

Why don’t you explain what you like about the land? The design? The shopping experience? The app game? The ride? What makes it a winner for you? All of those have positive elements. The design is especially nice at night.

I like mostly the design and the little nooks and crannies. I’m a sucker for detail and textures. I also enjoyed Smugglers Run quite a bit but have to give it a few more tries to fully form an opinion. I was surprised how much motion it had compared to what some said on here.

Haven’t tried the app yet.

Just about everything looks great at night in the parks so that’s not a surprise.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

So you didn’t know Rise wasn’t going to be open, the entertainment had been cut and the land was based on the sequel trilogy? C’mon.
that is really not a fair point to make about the entertainment. There was no reason going in that your average guest would know ahead of time that they were going to cut the entertainment budget and not have live shows in the land, especially since during the press preview they had a full show with fights and everything on the catwalks above the land for all to see. in fact the show started with that VI characther walking around the way she does now then she gets found by the first order and the show then took place. that show was to start off the same way every time until they cut the budget now they just have her walk around with no point. if you don't believe me about the show, you can see it on fresh baked disney's live stream for the press preview. So considering that show happened the day before they opened to the public, there is no reason for a guest not to expect that same show to be there the next day.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Not to mention it took the place of the classic Peoplemover, Circlevision and the Rocket Jets. It broke Tomorrowland.
the ride was such a major left down. it tricks you because from the ground level looking up, it looks really fast. but that is sooo misleading. the second you got any decent speed going- instant slow down for a curve and it just killed all the joy. it did that constantly because the ride was not deigned for those tracks and they never accounted for that. i do miss the rocket jets and the amazing view you would get of all of disneyland from being up that high.

RobWDW1971

So you're saying Disneyland's new marketing philosophy is from Otter in Animal House: "You *$&k'd up. You trusted us."

That's quite a defense.

When I made my reservation at 10:00 am on May 2nd (and bought 8 tickets), we still only had Disney promises, not the unfortunate reality we would later realize. They charged full price, I expected a full priced experience. They didn't provide it so I will continue to complain about it.

Last edited:

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
that is really not a fair point to make about the entertainment. There was no reason going in that your average guest would know ahead of time that they were going to cut the entertainment budget and not have live shows in the land, especially since during the press preview they had a full show with fights and everything on the catwalks above the land for all to see. in fact the show started with that VI characther walking around the way she does now then she gets found by the first order and the show then took place. that show was to start off the same way every time until they cut the budget now they just have her walk around with no point. if you don't believe me about the show, you can see it on fresh baked disney's live stream for the press preview. So considering that show happened the day before they opened to the public, there is no reason for a guest not to expect that same show to be there the next day.

Oh, I believe you. It totally sucks that the land was robbed of the entertainment and performers that everyone thought was going to be there when it was announced years ago. It’s just not a surprise though for someone that has been reading what was happening in the months prior to opening.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Oh, I believe you. It totally sucks that the land was robbed of the entertainment and performers that everyone thought was going to be there when it was announced years ago. It’s just not a surprise though for someone that has been reading what was happening in the months prior to opening.
I get your point of view but like I said the average guest would not know that and even those bloggers who went to the press preview the day before and saw that impressive show did not know it would not be there the very next day. The thing I am bummed about on top of the Falcon Ramp is there is noo robots roaming around like they tested out in Tomorrowland. Those would have been soo cool to see roaming about. The only downside is bratty kids would have been all over them but at least it would give the kids something fun to do in the land. There really is nothing for kids to do there unless their parents spend a hundred bucks on a droid or two hundred for a lightsaber.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
So you're saying Disneyland's new marketing philosophy is from Otter in Animal House: "You *$&k'd up. You trusted us."

That's quite a defense.

When I made my reservation at 10:00 am on May 2nd (and bought 8 tickets), we still only had Disney promises, not the unfortunate reality we would later realize. They charged full price, I expected a full priced experience. They didn't provide it so I will continue to complain about it.

I didn’t realize that Galaxy’s Edge was a separate park with its own admission. lol Man, you really got screwed over by going there so early and not knowing anything. Seriously though. Maybe should’ve saved that $1000 to go to Universal instead. Not as much stuff to whine about.

Last edited:

zooey

I highly doubt if someone had fully informed you that entertainment had been cut that you would have decided not to go. That wouldn’t have stopped me anyway...
You can feel disappointed but pretty sure you were determined to go and spend that money to preview SWL no matter what. You’re just stuck in hindsight thinking oh if I’d have known I’d be disappointed I wouldn’t have spent that money. Well, ya. That’s the risk of every transaction everywhere. Too bad Disney doesn’t have a returns department that lets you return your trip after you experienced and used the park, you know like a bored Walmart or something.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom