Anyone done the Orlando Informer event in December?

Schweino

Original Poster
Just curious if you felt the OI event, specifically in December, was worth the cost? We plan to spend 3 nights at Universal starting 12/5 and while we will have park days that Friday and Saturday, thinking of adding OI as well to really get as much Universal in as we can until we transition to Disney that Sunday. Open to opinions!

JoeCamel

Just curious if you felt the OI event, specifically in December, was worth the cost? We plan to spend 3 nights at Universal starting 12/5 and while we will have park days that Friday and Saturday, thinking of adding OI as well to really get as much Universal in as we can until we transition to Disney that Sunday. Open to opinions!
Short and sweet - YES!

Schweino

Original Poster
Short and sweet - YES!
I like short and sweet! We plan to do all the shows/events/whatever during the day and all the unique things they do for Christmas, and then use the OI event to mainly do rides and eat a lot of food. Its double the cost, but we wont be back probably until 2026 (unless I hit the lottery).

Now just crossing my fingers I get to see Mannheim!

mergatroid

Yes and no, depending on what appeals to you most and how much you can eat. If you're willing to pay and can afford the price then why not? I mean walking around eating as much as you want with so few people there that you can ride everything, what's not to like?

If you're looking for a reason not to go, then it would be the following. However much you eat and drink, you're still losing money on the food and drink side. Universal (and any other park) make a killing on food and drink. You don't even want to know what that $5 donut actually costs, just enjoy it. So when you don't have to pay (because it's included in the ticket cost) you may go around keeping track of how much that would have cost you if you've paid for every purchase, it will come to a lot. That amount is nowhere near what the food actually cost, it's an inflated cost and chances are you're eating a lot of it for the sake of it.

Not trying to put you off, again if you can afford it then go for it. It's more that if you're on a budget and it's tempting you and yet you'll struggle to afford it, the above paragraph is a way out for you. Yes you're undoubtedly getting more food for the cost than if you paid for all those items, but again remember those aren't the real costs but hugely inflated theme park food costs.

It's similar to the special events at Disney where food is included, seems a good deal on the surface but if you really think about it you realise you're basing the value on already inflated costs. If you've allocated the money already an can afford it, then go for it and walk around eating, drinking and riding rides and forget about what the parks paid for the food and just enjoy the splurge.

WDWFREAK53

Yes and no, depending on what appeals to you most and how much you can eat. If you're willing to pay and can afford the price then why not? I mean walking around eating as much as you want with so few people there that you can ride everything, what's not to like?

If you're looking for a reason not to go, then it would be the following. However much you eat and drink, you're still losing money on the food and drink side. Universal (and any other park) make a killing on food and drink. You don't even want to know what that $5 donut actually costs, just enjoy it. So when you don't have to pay (because it's included in the ticket cost) you may go around keeping track of how much that would have cost you if you've paid for every purchase, it will come to a lot. That amount is nowhere near what the food actually cost, it's an inflated cost and chances are you're eating a lot of it for the sake of it.

Not trying to put you off, again if you can afford it then go for it. It's more that if you're on a budget and it's tempting you and yet you'll struggle to afford it, the above paragraph is a way out for you. Yes you're undoubtedly getting more food for the cost than if you paid for all those items, but again remember those aren't the real costs but hugely inflated theme park food costs.

It's similar to the special events at Disney where food is included, seems a good deal on the surface but if you really think about it you realise you're basing the value on already inflated costs. If you've allocated the money already an can afford it, then go for it and walk around eating, drinking and riding rides and forget about what the parks paid for the food and just enjoy the splurge.

I don't understand the logic. Everybody knows that you're not getting the food for cost... So basing the decision on whether an event is worth it or not based on how much you're paying for a food item vs. what Disney/Universal pays for it seems like a really odd way to look at it. You'd never pay the Disney/Uni costs.

AussieFan8

I love the meetups but personally would not do park days on meetup days. You should be able to do everything you want with two meetup nights, and you’ll be far less tired. The biggest challenge if you only do the meetup is fitting in all the shows that close early.

mergatroid

I don't understand the logic. Everybody knows that you're not getting the food for cost... So basing the decision on whether an event is worth it or not based on how much you're paying for a food item vs. what Disney/Universal pays for it seems like a really odd way to look at it. You'd never pay the Disney/Uni costs.
I've said that's an excuse if they don't want to go as they can't really afford it. It's a reason to justify missing out rather than a criticism. I'm not saying don't go because of that, rather it's a way of making them feel better about not going if it's a bit too expensive. I'm aware that you never pay what Disney/Uni pay for food and actually explain that in my post.

Just to clarify I'm saying go if you can afford it, if you can't really afford it then why not look at this as a reason to feel better about it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom