Anyone afraid to fly but do it anyway?

SchultzFamily

I hate flying...and my poor husband is bruised by the time we land at our destination from my squeezing his arm almost the entire trip. I normally don't sleep the night before we fly so that I can be as tired as possible and hopefully sleep the whole flight. It's weird--I'm okay with take off and landing, it's being up in the air that I hate.

Upvote 0

EPCOT Explorer

I'm not a big fan of flying and don't fly to WDW but when I do fly I just think that it's like a huge ride,like Soarin' or If You Had Wings.THat usually calms me down.:)

Upvote 0

kirinan

I take two over-the-counter Benadryl (which I keep in the house for when I have an allergy attack), and take them about half an hour to an hour before we get on the plane. One makes me tired, but two pretty much knock me out, and generally I'm asleep by the time we're climbing toward cruising altitude. Then I always sleep the two-and-a-half hours to Orlando. If we're on a longer flight, generally I'm fine once we're at our cruising altitude, but I'm a wreck during the landing. My husband also has bruises on his arm from me grabbing him every time there's a little buck or shake of the plane (Lord help him if we're ever on a flight where we drop because of turbulence).:lookaroun

The thing I MUST do as soon as I get on the plane is count how many seat backs there are between our row and the nearest door, so in case something happens and we can't see our way, I can feel my way by counting. I make sure I tell my husband the number, I always listen to the flight attendant's spiel, and then I'm free to conk out. Oh, and when I'm awake, I always watch the flight attendants. If they're calm, I'm okay; when they appear tense, so am I.

Now that I type this all out, I see how weird I am, but I hate and fear flying so much that it's the only way I can cope. That's why we usually try to drive.

Upvote 0

disneymyway

Original Poster
I really don't have too much problem - anymore. I have a couple of things that might be considered "rituals" or maybe just superstitions that I pretty much must do.

I drink.
I pray.
I read People magazine.

And I'm fine.

I was just reading another board this morning and everyone was saying Xanax and other drugs like that. I was just curious if "everyone was doing it."

A bloody mary is my drug of choice before I fly! :p

Upvote 0

EPCOT Explorer

I take two over-the-counter Benadryl (which I keep in the house for when I have an allergy attack), and take them about half an hour to an hour before we get on the plane. One makes me tired, but two pretty much knock me out, and generally I'm asleep by the time we're climbing toward cruising altitude. Then I always sleep the two-and-a-half hours to Orlando. If we're on a longer flight, generally I'm fine once we're at our cruising altitude, but I'm a wreck during the landing. My husband also has bruises on his arm from me grabbing him every time there's a little buck or shake of the plane (Lord help him if we're ever on a flight where we drop because of turbulence).:lookaroun

The thing I MUST do as soon as I get on the plane is count how many seat backs there are between our row and the nearest door, so in case something happens and we can't see our way, I can feel my way by counting. I make sure I tell my husband the number, I always listen to the flight attendant's spiel, and then I'm free to conk out. Oh, and when I'm awake, I always watch the flight attendants. If they're calm, I'm okay; when they appear tense, so am I.

Now that I type this all out, I see how weird I am, but I hate and fear flying so much that it's the only way I can cope. That's why we usually try to drive.

It's not wierd-It's understandable.Flying is a scary thing.But cool too.I love seeing the world from that high up.

Upvote 0

Kelsybelle

I really don't have too much problem - anymore. I have a couple of things that might be considered "rituals" or maybe just superstitions that I pretty much must do.

I drink.
I pray.
I read People magazine.

And I'm fine.

I was just reading another board this morning and everyone was saying Xanax and other drugs like that. I was just curious if "everyone was doing it."

A bloody mary is my drug of choice before I fly! :p

I pretty much had the same ritual as you before I had my daughter. This past April was her first trip to WDW (almost 2 years old) and I was a flippin mess a week before our trip rolled around! I knew that having a cocktail (or 2 ) on the plane wouldn't be enough!!! I was prescribed by my doctor, Adavan 1mg and it works like a charm! I took it when I got up in the morning before our flight and that totally calmed my nerves down completely. Once I got on the plane I took another one and I was calm enough to actually enjoy myself and I felt completely in control. (I didn't want anything that was going to knock me out or make me start singing show toons!) I really helped me, good luck to you!!!:wave:

Upvote 0

ljs1691

I just remind myself to breathe. Other than that, I usually cry (quietly), rock back and forth and drink alot.

Thankfully we only have a 2 hour flight. That is about my limit. If I didn't have to function the rest of the day, I'd take something to knock me completely out. I've tried needlepoint and cross stitch but now I can't take my scissors so I'll just suffer.

Upvote 0

BrittanyRose428

I hate flying...and my poor husband is bruised by the time we land at our destination from my squeezing his arm almost the entire trip. I normally don't sleep the night before we fly so that I can be as tired as possible and hopefully sleep the whole flight. It's weird--I'm okay with take off and landing, it's being up in the air that I hate.
Thats exactly how I am. I try to do something active the day before to wear me out so I'm tired and I try to stay up the night before. And then I apologize ahead of time to whoever sits next to me because I know I'll be squeezing their arm. I went to Italy a few weeks ago and after that 9 hour plane ride I'm hoping disney will be nothing :x

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom