Anybody interested?

ChuckElias

Original Poster
Hey everybody, cruising has started back up, but there's still not a lot of chat here and not a lot of trip reports yet. My wife and I traveled to England a couple weeks ago to do a canal/river cruise on a small boat that took us through the locks of the Lee River and into the Thames. It has NOTHING to do with Disney. Would anybody be interested in hearing about this experience? (If the answer is no, I will not be offended :) )

This is the boat we were on:

20210909_150716_HDR.jpg

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
Hey everybody, cruising has started back up, but there's still not a lot of chat here and not a lot of trip reports yet. My wife and I traveled to England a couple weeks ago to do a canal/river cruise on a small boat that took us through the locks of the Lee River and into the Thames. It has NOTHING to do with Disney. Would anybody be interested in hearing about this experience? (If the answer is no, I will not be offended :) )

This is the boat we were on:

View attachment 588783
Definitely!

ChuckElias

Original Poster
Ok, a few people have expressed some interest, so I'll give a very brief report.

This was a trip that my wife and I had planned pre-Covid. I honestly thought that it would be cancelled. In fact, we even didn't buy airfare until mid-August. I really never believed that we'd go. But we went!

So we had planned a 4-night river cruise on a "hotel boat". We flew into Heathrow on the morning of Sept 9 and met the boat in Ware, about an hour and a half by train from the airport. Ware was a really cute town, actually. We were there much too early to meet the boat, so we grabbed an outdoor table at a restaurant right next to the river, and we hoped to see the boat as it came in to meet us. While we waited, our traveling companions met us and we had some lunch.

We didn't see the boat come in, but we emailed the owner and he told us where they were moored, so we walked down and met them. It's a flat-bottomed boat, about 60' long and 12' wide. Not very big. It carries a maximum of 4 passengers and the 2 owners are the only crew (except when they bring a pilot onboard to navigate the Thames). There are two staterooms; one has a Queen bed and one has two twins. Both staterooms have a private bathroom and shower. There's a public room with seating, which also doubles as the dining room, and there's an outdoor sitting area at the front of the boat. There's no live entertainment like you would find on bigger cruise ship. But there's a TV and some DVDs if you're desperate for something to watch. The husband, Gordon, drove the boat; and the wife, Dorenda, did all the cooking and housekeeping.

The first two days of our trip were on the River Lee and then the last two days were on the Thames. To be honest, there's not a lot to see on the River Lee. We sailed through some very pretty countryside, but the boat doesn't stop in a town so you can get off and explore. Mostly we saw other boats moored on the river with people living in them. Once we got to the Thames, though, we saw all the sights of London and that was really fun. We sailed up the Thames, all the way to the Hampton Court Palace, then made a u-turn to our final destination in Kingston.

The experience on the boat was pretty good. The food was all prepared onboard and was generally very good. There wasn't a menu with dishes that you could choose. There's not a ton of room for storage on the boat, so Dorenda makes the menu for the night and that's what you get. (If there's anything that you just won't eat, you can tell them before you arrive at the boat.) She's a self-taught, but very good chef. I would say that our dinners were a small step down from what we might expect on a traditional cruise. Very good, but certainly not high cuisine. Wine was included with dinner, and there was a bar if you wanted something else to drink. Breakfast and lunch were also included; and we got mid-morning coffee (with snack) and tea every afternoon.

We also helped operate the locks on the river. We would fill the lock, open it so the boat could go in, then close the lock, drain it, and open the other end so the boat could leave the lock. We did this 5 or 6 times a day. You don't HAVE to help, but they did sort of complain to us about past guests who didn't help. As we got really close to the Thames, the locks were operated electrically and we didn't need to help.

Once we disembarked in Kingston, we rented a car and drove north to the Cotswold region, staying in Bibury for a night and Moreton for another night. The countryside was beautiful. I really loved Bibury, and the hotel we stayed in was gorgeous. We walked all over the town, saw some really cool buildings. Moreton was a somewhat bigger town and didn't have the same charm, but we found a great pub for dinner. During this part of the trip, we also stopped for a day in Oxford and that was amazing. So much history and great architecture. I loved it. In Oxford, we found the Turf Pub, which was awesome. Great food, really fun place and hidden out of the way.

I liked our time in the Cotswolds much better than the cruise, but the other people with me definitely loved the boat trip. If I were going to try another boat trip like that, I would only cruise the Thames. I found the River Lee portion to be pretty boring, to be honest. But, again, my wife absolutely loved it.

I'll post pictures soon.

ChuckElias

Original Poster
This was our first look at the town of Ware. :)

20210909_100715_HDR.jpg

The restaurant where we had lunch, while we waited for the boat in Ware.

20210909_135936_HDR.jpg

Looking out over the River Lee.

20210909_114609.jpg

Our boat for the next few days:

20210909_150716_HDR.jpg

The public space:

20210909_150623.jpg

This is the same public space, converted to the dining room:

20210909_185724.jpg

The double bed stateroom:

20210909_171622_HDR.jpg

The Queen bed stateroom:

20210910_134448_HDR.jpg

The tiny bathroom:

20210909_171704.jpg

ChuckElias

Original Poster
Here, we're approaching a lock on the River Lee. The gates are closed, as you can see. Once it's filled, we would have to open the gates by pushing those long white bars. They're really heavy! Also, you can see people walking the footpath next to the river. All down the River Lee, we saw walkers and bikers on the footpath.

20210909_152441_HDR.jpg

Here is the lock, filling up:

20210909_161233_HDR.jpg

And here it is full:

20210909_153717_HDR.jpg

There used to be lock-keepers who would operate the locks as a full-time job for boats on the rivers. As part of their compensation, they were given free housing next to "their" lock. Here's one of the lock houses.

20210909_161142.jpg

ChuckElias

Original Poster
This is taken out of the boat's window, just to give you a feel for how low we sat in the water:

20210910_093419.jpg

This is me, just showing the river in the background. Right behind me, you can also see some of the other boats that are moored all along the river.

20210910_130523.jpg

This is at another lock-house. Kathryn (my wife) is just being silly with the garden gnome. (Maybe a small tribute to Dr. Doofenshmertz?) But you can see that she's holding a metal tool. That's what we used to open the doors in the gate that let the water in or out of the locks before we could open the gates.

20210910_155303.jpg

Our traveling companions were Kathryn's dad and his wife. Here's her dad operating one of the locks.

20210910_165256_HDR.jpg

ChuckElias

Original Poster
I mentioned that there's a seating area in the front of the boat. Here you can see Kathryn's dad and his wife in the open seating.

20210909_154156_HDR.jpg

When we got to the end of the River Lee, we reached the Limehouse Basin, where we had to wait for our pilot to join us before we could enter the Thames. This was one of the few times that we were able to get off the boat and explore a little bit. We found the pub that is owned by Ian McKellen. Here's Kathryn outside The Grapes. Very cute and very small inside. (I had the Chocolate and Jameson Mousse. Yummmm!)

20210911_134510_HDR.jpg

Inside The Grapes. This is Gandalf's walking stick from the Lord of the Rings movies! (For non-Tolkien fans, Gandalf was played by McKellen.

20210911_135221.jpg

We were required to wear flotation vests for the tidal portion of the Thames.

20210911_144909.jpg

I'm not going to post 100 pictures of London landmarks, but here you can see how low we are in the water as we approach the Tower Bridge. The problem with sitting so low in the water is that when one of the tourist jet boats went by and made a wake, we ended up getting a pretty big splash.

20210911_152806.jpg

This is a terrible picture of me. But it's Kath and me in the forward seating area as we passed the London Eye. You can see some splash behind Kathryn.

20210911_155040.jpg

This one is a little better of me. LOL

20210911_155001.jpg

Um. . . were we there at the same time as @Tiggerish ??

20210911_175853.jpg

ChuckElias

Original Poster
Some pictures of Dorenda's cooking.

Asparagus wrapped in filo dough.

20210909_190145.jpg

Baked chicken topped with cheese and bread crumbs with green beans, new potatoes, and cabbage.

20210909_192112.jpg

Spinach and mushroom omelet.

20210910_131434.jpg

Prosciutto appetizer. I really enjoyed this, but I can't remember what was inside.

20210910_190209.jpg

Salmon in a cucumber Tzatziki.

20210910_191526.jpg

Carrot soup.

20210911_125647.jpg

ChuckElias

Original Poster
Thanks for tagging me, @ChuckElias! Very odd to see my name on a boat, and I do wish I'd been there too. I feel like I'm seeing an episode of Midsomer Murders in your photos, without the gruesome death parts, of course. :joyfull:
It's funny that you mention Midsomer Murders. When I'm done posting pictures, I'm going to share a link to a podcast episode in which Kathryn and I talk about our trip in much more detail. The funny part is that in describing our time in the Cotswolds, Kath says that if you can't picture the scenes that we're describing, you should go watch Father Brown or Midsomer Murders. So you totally get us! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom