Anybody Ever Get Engaged at WDW?!

star77kc

Original Poster
Hi! I was just wondering how many of you got engaged or saw a proposal at WDW. I would love to hear any of those romantic stories! My now fiance proposed to me last December at the World, but not quite the way he had planned...:zipit:

His plan was to get down on one knee in front of the castle during Wishes, but the situation could not have been worse! There were sooo many people we could barely even move. This kid in front of my fiance had this HUGE backpack and kept backing up into him. He was so frustrated with the situation he decided to skip out on the way he had been planning all along. We left MK a few minutes before Wishes was over to beat the crowds. We get back to our hotel, I grab a late night pizza for our munchies...and just when we get back into the room, I take a bite of Pizza....and just when I look around, there he is pulling out a diamond ring from his wallet that he had been carrying around ALL DAY! :eek:

He gets on one knee right there in the hotel room and proposes!!! Of course I say yes! :sohappy:

He tells me how he had planned to do it and how it didnt work out. He said he knew he could have waited till the next day when we were at Epcot but that he was so excited he couldnt wait another second longer! I personally thought it was still the proposal of every girls dream, and I was just so excited about it, it didnt matter where we were!!

Anyways..just wanted to share that story in hopes that it might spark a romance thread about WDW! :wave:

Mickey-Mommy

We got enganged in Disney in January 1998. :sohappy:

He had planned on (like you) asking me in front of the castle when the fireworks were going off. But we were on Splash Mountain when we started hearing them. I could hear him saying s***, over and over again under his breath. I asked him what was wrong.....he said nothing. :hammer:

Then during the part where the ride goes outside for a moment, where you can see the castle and the fireworks, he asked him. Of course I said yes and was crying and so excited. Splash was already our favorite ride, but even more so now! We bought the picture from there, so we could have something capturing the moment. :sohappy:

We got married March 4, 2000.....exactly 5 years after we went on our first date! We couldn't afford to get married in Disney, but we still had a Disney themed wedding....buying lots of stuff from the Disney Store, in the parks and ordering from the Disney Florist and having them shipped to us. Everything was Disney themed! Even the Mickey head confetti!

Our first trip together was to Disney, engaged, honeymooned, pretty much every trip was to Disney. We even had our "conceptionmoon" and "babymoon" there! Even our sons nursery was Disney. He's 20 months old and has already been twice. Planning our second "babymoon" for September.....our last trip to Disney as a family of 3 before baby #2 arrives in December! :sohappy:

GSpiff

That's really funny star77kc, I had actually nearly the exact same thing happen. I took my girlfriend down in December 2004 hoping to propose during Wishes at MVMCP. Everything that could go wrong did. We ended up stuck sitting next to a garbage can and a storm drain, which smelled awful. We were next to a little kid who wanted to talk to my girlfriend the entire time, and on top of it we came down from Connecticut thinking it was going to be warm, so we were dressed for 80 degree weather and not prepared for the 50 degree weather. It could have been a really memorable and funny memory, but it just didn't have the romantic feeling.

I waited until the next morning as we were getting ready to head to Animal Kingdom. We were doing one of those last "do we have everything" checks, and I said, there was just one thing missing, and I pulled out the ring, got to one knee and proposed in our room at Pop Century. Wasn't quite what I had planned, but when I told her how I wanted to do it the night before and all the circumstances around it, it still made for a really memorable proposal.

Now we're going down for our third anniversary this August with our son for his first trip to Disney World to make some more memories!

My wife and I got engaged at Cirque Du Soleil at Downtown Disney :eek: She had picked out the ring the week previously, but didn't know which day I was going to give it her and officially ask her the question. I'd booked tickets for La Nouba and after a chinese meal we headed for the theatre at DD. As we queued, I tapped her on the shoulder and as she turned had the box open and popped the question. I remember throughout the show she kept 'fiddling' with the ring and looking at it so I gathered she was happy :D

diddy_mouse

My husband proposed to me in font of the Partners statue May 17th of '04.

This was the first day of our trip. He had the ring in his pocket as we rode the monorail into the MK (this was his very first trip to The World I might add.) Once we got on Main St. I had to make a pit stop, leaving him anxiously waiting then we started the walk up to the hub. He seemed quiet but I thought he might have been tired from the flight or even just overwhelmed by actually being at the Magic Kingdom. So we get to the hub and are waiting to have our picture taken. My husband was waiting for just the right person to give the camera to (I still had now idea what he was planning.) We walk up to the statue, I put my map and camera down, look up and there he is with a maroon box! Then he gets down on one knee and proposes. Of course I say yes! I'm :cry::lol::cry: he's crying, a bunch of people watching us applaud and the nice lady who took our picture is crying.

After we thanked everyone who congratulated us, we took in the moment a little longer then went and rode Pirates. Needless to say, this is our first ride every single trip. :D

happymom52003

My DH proposed in front of the castle in 1997, back when they still had all of the trees there and the concrete benches around the center of the hub. It was late, and we were on our way out of the park. He suggested that we sit for awhile and enjoy the castle. There was hardly anyone else around. After a few minutes, he said the sweetest things to me and then got on his knee and proposed. Even though we had been together for a long time (5 years), I was totally surprised. It was so romantic.

Then first time we took our kids (in 2006), the first thing we did was go to our spot (which sadly does not exist anymore, but we estimated where the bench had been) and took a pic of our kids there.

GSpiff

Then first time we took our kids (in 2006), the first thing we did was go to our spot (which sadly does not exist anymore, but we estimated where the bench had been) and took a pic of our kids there.

That's a great idea to take your kids' picture where you proposed. I think I'm going to do the same next trip I take down. Hopefully the people staying in the room I proposed in won't mind.

We got engaged at disney in 2000. My husband (bf at the time) had planned on proposing to me with Eeyore right there since I LOVE Eeyore but he said he chickened out b/c there were way too many people around (I'm not sure what he thought but it was his first time at Disney:shrug:) Anyway he ended up carrying the ring all around Disney b/c he was waiting for the right moment but yet didn't want to leave the ring in the room b/c he was afraid someone could steal it. He ended up taking me for a walk next to the river at POFQ one night and proposing to me:) Looking back it was hilarious because he got stopped at airport security and they made him empty his pockets but he had told me he was really thirsty and asked if I could get him a drink since I already got thru, I thought he was being weird but he was just trying to prevent me from seeing the ring. And there were about 5 other times that I just thought he was being weird but he was just trying to prevent me from finding out about his pending proposal. I think he was relieved when he finally propsed so that he could stop worrying about the ring and me finding out about his proposal!

thrupaytonseyes

I got engaged at Disney in June of 2000. DH was going to propose in front of the castle but we got in around 4 or 5 and I said that I would rather not use a ticket to go to the park for just a few hours. If only I had known what was going on!!!! We got settled in our room and headed out to go to DTD. We were walking over the bridge near the front of OKW with the pool to one side and pond with fountain in the middle of it on the other side. He said some beautiful things then dropped to one knee and popped the q. Obviously, I said yes! We ran to find a phone and pass on the good news to family and friends. Once headed to DTD by boat, he told me his original plan but said he liked how it ended up taking place better b/c it was more personal and private. Before we left at the end of the week we had a CM take our picture right where we got engaged. We had a Mickey & Minnie cake topper for our wedding as a tribute to where we got engaged. Now we head to the World at least once a year with our 2 boys! A few years ago we took the in-laws with us and they watched DS1(DS2 wasn't born yet) and on our date night we headed to OKW and had our picture taken in that spot once again!

I have seen plenty of engagements take place in front of the castle over the years. I always think it is so cool when photopass is involved to get that moment captured!

magicmom1

My DH proposed to me May of 1993. We were there to celebrate his b-day. Things didn't go quite like he planned either. He too had been carrying the ring around all day try to decide where the best place would be. I am definitely a MK girl so I was kinda confused why he picked EPCOT to propose. We had eaten dinner at San Angel (when it was still good). He had planned to ask me at dinner but we were surrounded by people so his next thought was to take the boat ride through Mexico. We had been watching empty boats go by for an hour so I guess he thought that we would have some privacy there. Just as we were about to get on we got a "boat load" of brazian tourists:eek:! He later told me he was soo mad that he almost dropped the ring overboard because he had it in his hand before we got on the boat.

We started walking towards France for dessert and for some reason he stopped in front of the American pavillion and asked me there. I said yes. He too told me about all the missed opportunities that day.

We knew that Disney was just starting to do weddings so we called the next morning to see if we could get some info. A wedding planner met us at our hotel and began explaining everything to us. At that time they were charging the same price as if we had the wedding at the Marriot at home so we decided that Disney was perfect for us!:sohappy:We went home and told my parents the news and had all the info for the wedding already in a folder for my dad. He agreed that we should definitely have it there because my entire family were such huge Disney fans!

We had a Fairytale wedding January 29, 1994 (7 months after proposal) at the Grand Floridian Hotel. The wedding pavillion was still being built. Reverend Tim was our officient and it was perfect from start to finish. We now have 3 DD 9 yo and twin 5 yo. They have already been more times than they can count. Our 9 yo went for her 1st b-day and the twins couldn't wait till they were 1 so we took them at 6 months:) and have been going about every 6 months since we had them.

mathew-westfall

How about in the Haunted Mansion, in the Ballroom? My wife, now, had done some programs for CP's in the mansion and it was and always be our favorite attraction. Then we were married on the Disney Cruise by Captain John the next year. Good times.

Mickey'n'Minnie

Magical Proposal :D

Hi All!

We actually got engaged in September 2008 at Winter Summerland :)

My finance and I love going mini putting so this past year we went to Winter Summerland and we wanted a picture in front of the "snow" castle. Luckily there was a couple a few holes behind us so we waited for them to catch up to us. My fiance told me to go get in front of the castle and without me knowing, he asked the husband to take a picture for us and to pay special attention because he was going to propose!

Well after my fiance came up to the castle with me I actually stumbled a bit (we had climbed the little hill in front of it...oops!) and when i regained my balance there he was with a ring and on one knee!!

I said yes and we now have around 5 pictures of it happening thanks to that nice couple! We also actually found out that we were the only couple to ever get engaged at that location so it's extra special to us :D

I do have to say....i give all of the men out there credit because my fiance said he had a whole speech planned out but when it came time to it he forgot everything because he was so nervous!

cococola44

yup

Well twice

There were proposals I saw. I forgot where I was standing but I got out from doing the parade *spectro* and it was done. I managed to clock out and get up stairs. I saw this guy looked like in his upper 20s propose on his knee during wishes back in 05.

THEN I saw a proposal go on while I was friends with Pluto at Chef Mickey's. The guy gave the box to our greeter at the time and her character was Goofy who was standing in the middle of the resturaunt with me and when Goofy brought it out to the guy when it was time, the girl knew. LOL she had tears streeeaaammming.

Most importantly, I met my husband working for WDW. He did a fake proposal within our firstdate...!!! NO kiddin!! WE hardly knew each other but we knew something was right. We met in June of 05 got married Nov 06.

lifeguard1020

I got engaged at the MK...

I got engaged at the MK...I had been to WDW too many times to count, I took my first steps there, and she had never been before. It was her first trip and was VERY excited just to be there. We had driven down from Chicago, straight through, and gotten to Old Key West and did the early check in thing. We then went to the Magic Kingdom and she was blown away. We went on a few rides and then got back to the hub around lunch time, and I found the Photopass guy. I approached him, told him what I had planned and took some great shots. She had no idea it was coming. Everyone around stopped walking and clapped for us. There also happened to be a Manager going past and had some of the buttons with her, so we got the "Just married" buttons, even tho they weren't totally accurate. We loved them anyways. We have been back many times since and even honeymooned there after the wedding...

-Dan

Attachments

• DisneyPhotoImage31.JPG
    DisneyPhotoImage31.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 61

AshaNeOmah

I proposed to my wife on December 27, 2003. I'm a pretty nostalgic guy so it had to occur in the 'courtyard' (the hub) of Cinderella Castle during the fireworks display. We arrived at the park a number of hours before the show and I was as nervous as could be. I believe it's the only time I forgot my way around the Magic Kingdom! We grabbed a spot in front of the partners statue nearly 2 hours before the show to have the perfect spot. My significant other should have caught on at that point since I haven't staked out a spot for fireworks or parades in years. She didn't, though. About midway through the intro I popped the question, she said yes (whew!) and we enjoyed probably the best fireworks show we have ever seen! (And this is from someone who prefers Fantasy in the Sky)

We were married at the Wedding Pavilion 18 months later and had a great reception at the Living Seas Lounge. I highly recommend Disney Fairy Tale Weddings. You can really have your cake and eat it too! We had a party of 50 close friends/family who made the 8 hour trip and the cost was probably cheaper than if we would have held it in our hometown and been 'forced' to invite 250 people who we would have not seen anyway.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom