Any Vegans recently been to Disney World?

wbtc

Original Poster
We returned to BC for the first time since 2018. We were really disappointed in the reduction of options for us this year. In the past, several restaurants had complete vegan menus available. None of the places we reserved had them anymore and only offered one option.
Additionally, a few of the restaurants changed their menus last week so the one option we booked for was no longer available.

We muddled through but these cuts were disappointing.

Going to Disney has always been a great experience because of their great vegan options.

Has anyone else noticed all the cuts? Magic Express, all the shirts are poorer quality polyester blends, no room merch delivery, fewer boats at the MK resorts, etc.

MickeyLuv'r

A number of the points you raise have been discussed quite a bit here, including the vastly reduced menus.

But I have not seen much discussion on how the cuts impact those who are vegan. I'm sure the cuts make WDW less appealing. I'm not vegan, but the short menus also bother us.

I think- as a vegan - you have the option of requesting to talk to a chef (as everyone who is on restricted diets has the same option). In the past, the chefs were sometimes able to make off menu items. If a vegan dish was recently removed, they might not be able to get those ingredients, or they might still be able to make it.

wbtc

Original Poster
A number of the points you raise have been discussed quite a bit here, including the vastly reduced menus.

But I have not seen much discussion on how the cuts impact those who are vegan. I'm sure the cuts make WDW less appealing. I'm not vegan, but the short menus also bother us.

I think- as a vegan - you have the option of requesting to talk to a chef (as everyone who is on restricted diets has the same option). In the past, the chefs were sometimes able to make off menu items. If a vegan dish was recently removed, they might not be able to get those ingredients, or they might still be able to make it.
That's interesting and good point regarding the chef.

So the non-vegan items have reduced also?

NelleBelle

So I’m vegetarian and my DH is vegan. Neither of us have had any issue with the menus and finding something to eat. We visited last Sept. I personally find that there is more for me to eat than in years past, YMMV. I also have a mushroom allergy and often have to speak to the chef as many vegan option have mushrooms in the dish. They’ve always been happy to prepare something off-menu.

wbtc

Original Poster
So I’m vegetarian and my DH is vegan. Neither of us have had any issue with the menus and finding something to eat. We visited last Sept. I personally find that there is more for me to eat than in years past, YMMV. I also have a mushroom allergy and often have to speak to the chef as many vegan option have mushrooms in the dish. They’ve always been happy to prepare something off-menu.
We were mostly disappointed in the loss of vegan menus. Jiko, California Grille and a few others had separate vegan menus (with choices) rather than just one item. Additionally, several restaurants changed their menus while we were there. So when we booked, we choose the one vegan item but when we arrived, the single item had changed and it wasn't appealing.

I agree that there are many things to eat but they were mostly impossible burgers, tater tots, drinks or desserts.

Jiko's vegan menu from the past....

California Grille Vegan menu from the past.
1710432277489.jpeg

MickeyLuv'r

That's interesting and good point regarding the chef.

So the non-vegan items have reduced also?
Yes. Property-wide, WDW menus are now rather limited. We are still able to find food, but we now also often eat offsite when we stay offsite. That is maybe the good news, there are quite a few new offsite options near WDW. We tend to want good quality food, but dining out has gotten so expensive, that I no longer care about table service or fancy. If we can get good quality food, we are happy with quick serve options.

I did notice WDW is now started to use a leaf icon to show vegetarian options.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Yes. Property-wide, WDW menus are now rather limited. We are still able to find food, but we now also often eat offsite when we stay offsite. That is maybe the good news, there are quite a few new offsite options near WDW. We tend to want good quality food, but dining out has gotten so expensive, that I no longer care about table service or fancy. If we can get good quality food, we are happy with quick serve options.

I did notice WDW is now started to use a leaf icon to show vegetarian options.
The leaf is for plant based, no egg or dairy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom