Any update on the TTC parking lot expansion?

flynnibus

Premium Member
Remember they can work on this with almost zero impact on guests, so working in the middle of the day everyday (or at least Monday - Friday) allows for quick progress.

So that gets you maybe 25-33% more time than working overnight.. maybe another 33% efficiency gain from working in daylight. So where does one get the other 300+% gain? Necessity/motivation :)

flynnibus

Premium Member
With all three transportation methods (Monorail, Ferry, and Busses) throughput is not a problem. It normally happens in waves when the parking trams let out. Easily in excess of 10k per hour.

Throughput IS a problem... because of the very slow cycle times. Remember, throughput is a function of TIME. The transportation vehicles carry a huge volume of people.. but loading is generally slow. The park releases a huge surge of people that Disney has a hard time staggering... so you get a surge all at once that immediately causes huge backups due to the slow cycle times. And the other poster's point holds true... the conjestion is at both side of the lake. More parking will further strain the tram system at the TTC in the evenings.

dizda

I Completely agree with that. They have this massive sprawling parking lot that requires trams to then get to a boat or monorail to then get to the resort. Insane!

(2) wide 3 floor garages would be fairly low profile, and provide all the parking of the existing lots. Creative design on the Poly side with a bit'o'landscaping and they could do 4 levels to gain spaces and still not make any significant impact from MK. They can even alter the monorail express beams on that side to provide a station at each garage, eliminating the need for trams.

[Edit] Tap your MagicBand and you can board the monorail. Other wise you can buy tickets at a kiosk or CM staffed windows for the park(s). Curious how many people could then stream line their entry for boarding direct to MK. Could justify an additional train during busy times as their would be additional stations and direct capacity management.
That is an interesting idea, but Disney seems unlikely to build upward when it still has room to build outward. Also, would the monorail system be able to handle the increase?

flynnibus

Premium Member
(2) wide 3 floor garages would be fairly low profile, and provide all the parking of the existing lots

TTC Lot had over 12k spaces before the expansion... not counting parking in the area like the Poly.
Disneyland's Mickey and Friend's Garage was the largest garage in North America when it was built and is about 10k spaces.. and 6 parking levels.
The first DTD Garage was 4k spaces... the next one is about 5k spaces and 5 parking levels. So basically you'd need the parking garage scale of all three of the new DTD garages to even start to compare. And those are 5 level structures.

I think your a wee bit optimistic on what it would really take.

roj2323

Original Poster
TTC Lot had over 12k spaces before the expansion... not counting parking in the area like the Poly.
Disneyland's Mickey and Friend's Garage was the largest garage in North America when it was built and is about 10k spaces.. and 6 parking levels.
The first DTD Garage was 4k spaces... the next one is about 5k spaces and 5 parking levels. So basically you'd need the parking garage scale of all three of the new DTD garages to even start to compare. And those are 5 level structures.

I think your a wee bit optimistic on what it would really take.

Your numbers are a bit off on the disney springs garages. The orage garage is around 3500 spaces and the lime garage they are building now is reported to be 2500.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Your numbers are a bit off on the disney springs garages. The orage garage is around 3500 spaces and the lime garage they are building now is reported to be 2500.

I can confirm those numbers. Nearmap has an aerial of the finished west garage so I was able to count the spaces on the top level, and 3500 seems about right. The east looks to be about 1/3 smaller then west, so 2500 seems correct.

flynnibus

Premium Member

Current garage (orange)... see
The garage is opening in phases. It has five levels with 4,000 spaces. Right now about 1,700 spaces are available. That number will go up to 3,000 by early December
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busi...isney-parking-garage-opens-20141120-post.html

And for the garages under contruction I goofed I guess when looking at WDWMagic's news.. it said 'first of two garages' but was referring to Westside (Orange) when I thought it was showing the East side garages going up.. so I used his 5k number incorrectly.

Either way.. you need way more garages than even DisneySprings is building just to replace the current stuff :)

Sonconato

That is an interesting idea, but Disney seems unlikely to build upward when it still has room to build outward. Also, would the monorail system be able to handle the increase?
My guess is Disney wouldn't build upward unless it HAD to, such as at Disney Springs. My husband said that the cost for surface parking is around $1,500 to $2,000 per space whereas the cost for a parking structure is closer to $20,000 to $30,000 per space depending on the quality of the garage. Then the annual maintenance costs are higher for a garage as well. As much as I like the idea of garages...shade!!!, I would rather they put that extra money into the parks, not the parking.

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Tuesday, Nov. 17. Parking stripes were being painted today in the new parking areas. The exit road has been modified and new curbing was present in some areas. Below photo is a view from the main exit road looking east.

IMG_6847.JPG

R W B

I'd rather a very large garage. Why not build a garage where the new lot will be? You still keep the original 12k spaces and then what ever the amount of spaces you're going to add with the new lot, you could get 1.5-2x as many spaces with a garage in the same area. Sure ramps and support beams would take up space but that's why I said atleast 1.5-2x. I personally don't think garages are eyesores but I guess some do. I know they needed the new lot asap for the holidays but this could happen starting in January. I know it's not going to but wishful thinking is fun.

JoeCamel

I'd rather a very large garage. Why not build a garage where the new lot will be? You still keep the original 12k spaces and then what ever the amount of spaces you're going to add with the new lot, you could get 1.5-2x as many spaces with a garage in the same area. Sure ramps and support beams would take up space but that's why I said atleast 1.5-2x. I personally don't think garages are eyesores but I guess some do. I know they needed the new lot asap for the holidays but this could happen starting in January. I know it's not going to but wishful thinking is fun.

So you are referring to the company that put single ply TP in the parks so they didn't have to pay for double ply like they did for 20 years before that?

You want them to spend the extra so you have a shaded place to park and don't have to walk so far??

They have lots of land for you to park on, cost is a consideration not your comfort.

halltd

I'd rather a very large garage.
What's UOR like exiting their garages after park dump? Disney Springs is bad enough after a movie. I can't even imagine MK after Wishes in a garage.

Lots are way more efficient at getting large numbers of cars out fast.

R W B

You want them to spend the extra so you have a shaded place to park and don't have to walk so far??

They have lots of land for you to park on, cost is a consideration not your comfort.
The new lot is behind the current lot so the garage I would prefer them to build would actually be a further walk then the current one so....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom