Any tips for first timers to WDW???

creed

Original Poster
I am taking my children for the first time to WDW. They are 6 and 9. Does anyone
have any tips or must see advice?
Thanks!

RnRJoe6114

A tip I would give is go to the parks in the morning then come back early afternoon for lunch then a nap, then later go back to the parks, that way they have time for their legs to relax. I would also try to go to atleast one character meal, they would probably love that.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Welcome!

My advice is, don't try to see and do everything! There is far more to do and see than many people realize. Take breaks, and don't burn the candle at both ends - don't try to be at a park at open and then close a park. And, as always, bring comfortable shoes! :)

JBSLJames

That was the age of my kids when we went last November - both girls. One tip is to get the Disney By Kids for Kids book. Our girls went through this and had a good idea of what they wanted to see/do before we left the house. Another one is if you are planning on renting a double stroller (another topic based on age) is to get a weekly voucher. You get a better price and vouchers for each day. The vouchers are good at any park even on the same day. There is always a debate on why one would get a stroller for a 6 and 9 year old. I will say this, it allowed us to stay at the parks longer because the kids were not getting overly tired from the walking. It also gave us an additional spot to keep 'stuff' during the day in addition to providing a "space" for the parades.

An expensive tip is Cirque. My kids loved every second of it (so did we).

I agree with the 'at least one character meal' idea as well. We did Chef Mickey's for dinner on my oldest birthday and did the Princess :slurp: breakfast in Norway. Both were great and the kids had a super time.

One last idea is the autograph books. They make really neat keepsakes. The drawback is that you can burn 2 to 3 hours a day waiting in the lines for the character to sign. If this is your families kind of this, it is well worth the wait. It is hard to describe the smiles on the kids faces when they are getting Mickey's autograph. :) :)

syddisney

Must see

What ever you do, make sure you get back to the parks each night for the fireworks. Wishes and Fantasmic are my favirote, and is a great way to end the day.

waltdisny

Besides shoes, wear a hat and sunglasses. If you don't you can wind up with a doozy of a headace from eyestrain caused by going from dark places to bright sunlight.

chancellor

Assuming you are going in the coming months:

1. Sunscreen.

2. Drink plenty of water (you may want to buy a case to keep in your room - they charge $2.50 a bottle at the parks).

3. Depending on how long you're going, set aside a half day to spend at the resort pool.

4. Almost forgot - FASTPASS. Learn it. Use it. Love it. :D

Morwen

I think that autograph books are a great idea! Before you go, however, it might be a good idea to ask your kids which characters they'd really, really like to see and then make sure you have some idea as to where the characters usually appear (allearsnet.com has some really handy lists). Also, make sure to ask cast members if, when, and where a character is scheduled to appear that day - they are always happy to help!

I hope that your family has a wonderful, magical trip!

WDWKat26

My advice:

1. Have fun and don't let stupid guests bring you down!

2. Buy water bottles from like Wal-Mart or Target or something (Like a 12 pack) and bring the bottles to the parks with you, it'll save you $2.50 on a bottle of water.

3. Definitely get an autograph book! Maybe as something creative before you go to do with your kids, go to the Dollar Store and let the kids design their own autograph books! Then you can tell whose book is whose!

4. If you need any help with locations of different characters, don't hesitate to PM, E-mail or IM me...I can definitely help you out in that area since i'm friends with a lot of them! ;)

5. Try to ride It's A Small World, it's just something you gotta do.

6. Eat a turkey leg and a Mickey Premium Bar...I guarentee you won't regret it :)

7. Did I mention? HAVE FUN!!!!!

CAPTAIN HOOK

Buy a decent guide book - The Unofficial Guide is a favourite. Read it before you go and then sit with the kids and work out which rides / attractions are suitable (height restrictions) and find out what they'd like to do.
Throw in some surprises (character breakfast etc), make sure you see the parades and fireworks if they can keep going that late.
Finally, make sure you have a good time by trying not to do it all (its a good excuse to return)

Bravesfn1

Bring lots of money, food is very expensive here. Other tips:

Must Do's

Wishes at MK
Illuminations at Epcot
Haunted Mansion
Splash Mountain
Space Mountain
Buzz Light Year Space Ranger Spin
Thunder Mountain
Pirates
World Showcase at Epcot
Tower of Terror
K Safari

Skip

Stitch's Great Escape
Autopia
Dumbo's Flight
Star Tours at MGM
Backlot Tour at MGM
Most of Animal Kingdom

Just my suggestions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom