Any thoughts on if Disney may drop the Annual Pass discount for DVC members that don't live in Florida?

Dan Deesnee

Original Poster
So the past few years me and my family have taken advantage of the discount they offer on annual passes for DVC members not living in Florida. I don't believe that this is available to people that buy resale now but we got grandfathered in.

I'm curious if anybody has heard anything with all the annual pass changes that I'm sure might be coming. It would be a big blow to lose that.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
There’s been no word. I think it’s very unlikely Disney will drop it altogether so long as they’re selling new DVC resorts because it differentiates the direct offering, but they absolutely have the right to.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
There is absolutely no reason to drop the discount for out of state.

it is almost 100% likely that out of state DVC spends more per day than Florida residents.

so why would you offer it to those that spend less pound for pound than those that would spend more??

that being said...they can pull the discount from everyone and probably not blink.

“money to be had off isolation”

CastAStone

Premium Member
There is absolutely no reason to drop the discount for out of state.

it is almost 100% likely that out of state DVC spends more per day than Florida residents.

so why would you offer it to those that spend less pound for pound than those that would spend more??

that being said...they can pull the discount from everyone and probably not blink.

“money to be had off isolation”
I would not be surprised if they cut it substantially by raising the price of the Gold Pass. Owners would be furious for a week and then within a month people on Disboards would make posts justifying buying direct because they can break even vs resale in just 18 years with the AP discount.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I would not be surprised if they cut it substantially by raising the price of the Gold Pass. Owners would be furious for a week and then within a month people on Disboards would make posts justifying buying direct because they can break even vs resale in just 18 years with the AP discount.
lol

you give it a whole week?

CastAStone

Premium Member
They’d probably have to stop with the whole “welcome home” thing pretending every DVC person is a resident if they tried to drop the out of state but not in state discount!
I’ve read that they promised early Disney Vacation Club Resort buyers that after their free park tickets through 1999 expired that their timeshare interest would grant them in-state residency for the purposes of buying tickets/APs. 🤷‍♂️

correcaminos

I’ve read that they promised early Disney Vacation Club Resort buyers that after their free park tickets through 1999 expired that their timeshare interest would grant them in-state residency for the purposes of buying tickets/APs. 🤷‍♂️
That's a new one I never heard lol. Wouldn't be totally shocked.

As a long term AP holder I will say they have already done insane increases to the AP as it is. So thinking they will cut discounts by raising prices... they already have been doing so.

This is a good selling point for direct. If it stops being a selling point, they won't do it.

Dan Deesnee

Original Poster
Appreciate the responses. A lot of common sense in here. I really hope Disney leaves the program as is, I'm not foolish enough to think they're going to make it better, haha.

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

Referring to the original question...

"Any thoughts on if Disney may drop the Annual Pass discount for DVC members that don't live in Florida?"

I would actually suspect the REVERSE. Those "out of state folks" likely show up MAYBE 3x per year. IN state? Far more often.
So, selling an AP to an out of State DVC owner is going to put far less annual "load" on the parks. An AP DVC discount for OUT of State owners is just going to be cheaper for WDW. Not more popular... just cheaper :).

Now, in fairness... we are MI DVC owners. Less of a big deal for us if WDW dumps this - we'll just buy tickets, and drop our visits to ONCE per year, deprive WDW of an average $4K in restaurant income per trip, and sell some DVC points. Overseas owners may very well consider just totally dumping DVC, and I could not blame them :(.

WDW will do what they chose to do. If they chose to become a "local park"? My family does not get to vote. We CAN, however, limit our financial exposure.

doctornick

I remember them telling my parents that when they were looking to buy around that time. It... wasn't true.

correcaminos

I remember them telling my parents that when they were looking to buy around that time. It... wasn't true.
It was 50% true. You got tickets for half the occupancy for your stay. It stopped in 1999 though so anyone who bought after did not get them. We missed it by a couple of years ourselves.

The in state residency was a mistake that many made. Some assumed even on their own not understanding time share laws. We were not told, but we also knew what we were buying. It was nice to get the FL residency prices finally at least later on for Gold on up.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
So... where's that DVC discount on AP's? :mad:

I didn't see this thread at the time, but I have several choice words for DVC and Disney in general in taking away the AP discount for DVC members. If anyone remembers the scene from Star Trek IV about "Colorful 4-letter metaphors", those are the words I'd be directing at them, and several more that are more than 4 letters.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

I didn't see this thread at the time, but I have several choice words for DVC and Disney in general in taking away the AP discount for DVC members. If anyone remembers the scene from Star Trek IV about "Colorful 4-letter metaphors", those are the words I'd be directing at them, and several more that are more than 4 letters.
What aps?

correcaminos

They took FL discount for top level away too. At least we still get access to Sorcerer...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom