Any reports/impressions from the Dolphin?

KICKYPANTS

In 2 days we'll be staying at the Dolphin for 12 days. :sohappy: Just wondering if anyone has been there this summer and what your impression of the hotel is. Any particularly good rooms...or ones to avoid? :eek: This will be our first time to WDW. Any thoughts will be much appreciated.:wave:

gatordoc

We enjoyed our last stay there, although we liked the Swan a bit better because it's smaller and quiter. The location is really convenient, especially if you're a big EPCOT fan, and we found the transportation to all the parks to be good (except for DD at night - all the conventioneers seem to be headed there). Our only real complaint is the charge for parking, which is relatively new. I realize that the Swan/Dolphin are not Disney owned, but this was an unexpected expense for us.

Upvote 0

JimboJones123

We enjoyed our last stay there, although we liked the Swan a bit better because it's smaller and quiter. The location is really convenient, especially if you're a big EPCOT fan, and we found the transportation to all the parks to be good (except for DD at night - all the conventioneers seem to be headed there). Our only real complaint is the charge for parking, which is relatively new. I realize that the Swan/Dolphin are not Disney owned, but this was an unexpected expense for us.

That alone will prob keep us from ever going. I'd rather pay $10 more a night and have them hide the fee there. Paying for parking at the hotel you stay at is stupid.

Upvote 0

csm7030

I agree about the parking fee. It always annoys me when a hotel charges a paying guest to park. It should be included in the daily room rate. I have no problem with an extra charge for valet parking, but self parking should be included!

We were planning to stay at the Dolphin this October for the F&W Fest. We had a pretty good rate under the Teacher/Nurse/Govt Employee rate of $165 a night and were excited because of the proximity to EPCOT. Then we decided that the $165, plus parking, plus tax would make it several hundred more dollars than our original plan to stay at the Pop Century. We changed to Pop Century at the regular rate of $99 and were happy. Then they came out with the Annual Pass rate of $79 and we were even happier. Finally, we realized that by adding one extra day and arriving a day earlier, we could get a AP rate of $59 for the entire trip!!! We are now staying at Pop Century for 5 nights for less than 2 nights at the Dolphin. The Dolphin may be a little nicer and a lot closer to EPCOT, but the savings is well worth it to us. The parking fee was not the only thing that made us switch resorts, but it was a factor.

Upvote 0

KICKYPANTS

Original Poster
We are flying in...so parking is not an issue for us. For us, it was a toss-up between PORFQ and the Dolphin. This is a once-in-a-lifetime trip for us, so we are splurging for comfort. My husband and I both have bad backs, so the larger, more comfortable beds at the Dolphin had us hooked. I wonder why they don't have queen beds at the hotels...or if they do...not many??

Upvote 0

captainbuzzy

We have been staying at the Swan, but the Dolphin resort is very similar although it feels like its more oriented toward business and convention travelers.

As far as what room to get... get as high a floor as possible. the views of the area are teriffic, especialy if you get a room facing Epcot you can see Illuminations.

The Swan and Dolphin share a pool, which is really large, with a great waterfall and slide. The rooms have been teriffic and have "generally" been better kept than even some of the Disney premium resorts that I've stayed in. Being in the Epcot resorts area and walk/ride the boat to either Epcot or MGM and all the restraunts in the area.

If you are use to the Disney resorts you give up a little atmosphere, but based on how much time you spend in the hotel when you are there I have not missed that, that much (especially if you can get in on a special rate!).

Hope you have a great trip, we're staying at the Swan the first week in October for a week!

Upvote 0

GoofyMom2

We have stayed at both the Swan and Dolphin :wave:

If I am correct, I believe the Swan has 2 Queen beds available, the Dolphin does not. (only 2 fulls) Not sure about single queens being available.....

Some resorts do have larger beds available.....we are staying at POR and have a King request in.

As posted, you cannot beat the comfort of those Heavenly beds at Swan and Dolphin.......:snore:

The resorts share pools, very nice for adults and kids. Grotto pool has areas to play, relax, a water slide etc.

Transportation was never a problem at either.....you can walk to Boardwalk very quickly and Epcot in about 15 min. Stroll back from Epcot in the evening is very nice....

You will certainly enjoy a stay at either one!

Upvote 0

WDWScottieBoy

Swan has two queens and the Dolphin has two doubles. Both of them have the option to get a single king though.

If you want any other information on it, send me a PM and I'll work my magic on getting you a better room. ;)

As far as the parking, people just don't realize what's going on. When we check you in, we tell you the parking charge. Disney doesn't because they just include it in the room charge. Valet is the only thing that Disney shows the price about.

Would you prefer that we just say parking is free and raise the room rates? It's no different than what Disney does really.

And the beds at the Swan and Dolphin truly are Heavenly. I work at those hotels because of a stay I had at a Westin in Atlanta. I LOVED IT!!!

Upvote 0

gatordoc

As far as the parking, people just don't realize what's going on. When we check you in, we tell you the parking charge. Disney doesn't because they just include it in the room charge. Valet is the only thing that Disney shows the price about.

Would you prefer that we just say parking is free and raise the room rates?

Actually, yes, I would, for two reasons. First, on our most recent stay, the parking charge was a totally unexpected expense. This is most unpleasant, and has some effect when you have budgeted for certain things. If you don't find out until you check in, you essentially have no choice but to pay it.

Second, I am just generally tired of being nickled and dimed to death at hotels. It used to be phone calls, but now most people have cel phones. But it's still parking, internet access, a daily paper, etc., etc., etc. Maybe it's just me, but I would much rather have a higher room rate with all the services included.

Upvote 0

kaybee

I stayed for the first time in May at the Dolphin for a week and I absolutely loved the resort!! The view...we got an Epcot view was fantastic. The rooms were huge, bright and airy. The beds...well they are everything people say about them heavenly!! Yes, they are doubles, but they are extra large doubles. I found these beds to be much larger than those of the disney moderates. The close proximity to Boardwalk, Epcot, Y&BC, MGM just can't be beat. The resturants in the hotel are all first class. The food court(Pickabu's)is open 24hrs, with a nice wide variety of foods. The pools are great too, with a place to get a decent lunch/dinner and bar. You can always find a lounge chair too. As far as parking goes if you drive there it is $8/day regardless of how many times you come and go. You will get one charge at the end of your stay. I don't think it is too bad. You do get to park for free at the parks, just show your room key. You also get the EMH's at the disney parks. As far as going to Epcot and MGM, just hop on the boat right outside the door and you are at the parks in about 10mins. Walk if you like too. Have fun at the Dolphin you won't be sorry you tried it!!:wave:

Upvote 0

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Wanted to comment...

I stayed at the Dolphin over the weekend. Ended up having to change rooms, as the first one had electrical issues (no biggie, but a little dissapointing if you walk in and two lights and the clock radio wont turn on).

The second room was on an unfinished floor. There was obvious taping and plastic as they were painting rooms around mine. Brand new sofa-thing (futon I guess?) in the room had a big ugly stain on it (literally like 1ftx1ft and obvious)

The rooms were nice, but the already wrecked sofa was a turn-off and the already-dead power in the other room and the "still being painted" though "hey, our refurb is complete" advertisements was a little off-putting.

My second room had a pretty view - could see Tower of Terror, Big Hat, MGM-Etc.. - but that couch/futon needs to be replaced.

Upvote 0
Trip Advisor reviews from August 2006 still report a mold & mildew problem throughout these resorts. Anyone out there know if this hotel admitted problem is still going on??

Upvote 0

dxwwf3

Just going from the looks inside and the overall "feel" of the places, I would MUCH rather stay at the Swan than at the Dolphin. The Dolphin feels too ritzy for its own good, IMO and I think the Swan has a more comfortable, welcoming feel to it. Basically the Swan feels more Disney-like to me just from an environment point of view. Haven't had the chance to stay at either one, but I may try the Swan some day.

Upvote 0

KICKYPANTS

Original Poster
Back from the Dolphin 3 days ago and will answer my own question.
We LOVED LOVED LOVED the Dolphin. The rooms are nice, clean, maid service was prompt and had a sense of humour, beds are wonderful. The pools are great, hammocks in the sand very relaxing. THe only problem is the food. Picabu is really geared for the mac 'n' cheese lovers. All prepared and junky stuff. We're more into quality food, but found ourselves eating the wings, pizza and nachos a couple of times, since the other food was kind of dry, salty...just plain heart-clogging. We would totally stay at the Dolphin again.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom