Any point in staying at the All Star Sports Resort?

ELG13

I'll admit...we are all star stayers more frequently than not...but we don't care for fancy hotels bc we are literally there to sleep. Granted we have small kids so now it's a non-issue...when they get older we may have to switch to pop but we generally try and make it as cheap as possible. I've never been comfortable spending the insane rates for the nicer hotels unless we plan on spending a decent amount of time there. We did the cabins last year and totally got our monies worth....this year we are doing a shorter trip so cheap-o allstars it is!!!
Howver for your split trip i would say it's not worth it.

WDW Zandt

I'm staying at Sports the first weekend of June. We were going to go with a cheap hotel off 192 but there's something reassuring about staying on the actual disney property. And also being able to check in whenever I want. The hotel we were planning on at first wouldn't let us check in earlier than 4...and we'd be in the park since the morning. Sometimes it's worth it just to cut the Disney deal

HwdStudio

If it’s Hyatt Regency Gramd Cypress or the old Peabody both are far from bland.
That is the former Peabody Orlando. It’s a great hotel and the pool area is nice. It is a little far from WDW but closer to Universal. i Think it’s a great option if they will be going to Universal those days. Much less of a drive in traffic.

HollyAD

It would be hard to say no to the Hyatt Regency honestly. I stay value resorts sometimes and it can be convenient for park hopping. However... I have also stayed at the Hyatt Regency next to the convention center. The location is not far from Universal and Disney. So if you are doing both it's a good location. I don't mind Value resorts sometimes but I agree with the posts above. If there is a team competition going on stay away. My friend is currently at All Star Sports with her son right now, their pictures actually look nice. It appears that the food court has been refurbished recently and their room looks to be in good shape. If you stay there...don't expect the Hyatt but it would be fine.

KaliSplash

Tthe best reason to stay at All Star Sports is if it's busy season, and that's becoming more and more, it's the first place the bus stops both going and coming

KimAnnFran

All Stars are great for folks struggling with money issues and wanting to be on property, group trips, and kid-oriented stays. Depends on what you want. Kids have always been impressed with the decor, and my fave of the three is the movies. However, Pop Century beats all for me in that category.

miltimo5

Should I even consider the All Star Sports Resort or is it really an awful place to stay? The Value resorts get a bad rap here, so I've not considered them but now I am, kinda sorta. here's why:

My family and I will be in Orlando for an oddly split vacation because the trip originally started out as a business conference for me, and I tacked on extra time so that I could bring my family and allow them to experience Disney and Universal, even on the days I'm working.

I booked the Wilderness Lodge for the first two nights, because I'm paying for it and I like nice hotels.

I have a Hyatt Regency next to the convention center booked for the next four nights, because my company is paying and this is a preferred hotel for them. But I COULD switch to another hotel for those four nights as long as its available through our corporate travel agency. The only Disney hotel available, within my per diem, is the All Star Sports Resort. My husband will be taking our kids to Universal for most of the time we stay at this hotel, tho. I'd love to opt for a Universal hotel, but they're not showing up as available through my corporate travel agency. Another option that IS available is a brand new Residence Inn across the street from Universal's entrance.

The next three nights, which I'm paying for, will be at the Beach Hotel. Because, again, I like nice hotels.

I guess my real question is, does it make any sense to stay at the All Star Sports hotel for those four nights mid-trip when I'll be working at my conference and my husband and kids will be at Universal? Or should I stick with the Hyatt (it's a really nice one), or opt for the Residence Inn which is not as nice as the Hyatt but still quite comfortable, esp for a family.

I love the value resorts. I have stayed at P.O. and all are star resorts. Depends I gues on what you want. When I am having breakfast before heading out, cafeteria style works. Can get what ever nd be in and out quickly. Dining anywhereq on property is open to you. I have found the value resorts clean great cmS. and service. I like long stays ...20 days plus.. I am usually out of the room by 7ish and usually back after 10pm. Shower sleep and back out. Bldgs are close together and lots of choices in the cafeteria. I love the value resorts.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think the fact that the corporate per diem covers the Hyatt regency...but will only cover all stars...speaks volumes about what you’re getting for your money.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
To answer the OP - Nope.

Just kidding. There is nothing wrong with any of the All-Stars - unless your expectations are unrealistic. They are a budget option comparable to a Hampton, Four Points, Courtyard and the like. They give you access to Transportation, MB privileges, and Disney theming.

You won't get a doorman, a signature steakhouse, an executive lounge, or much tranquility. The food court is crowded, the bus lines are long, and if you don't get lucky you'll need a cab to get coffee in the morning.

You need to weigh these factors and their importance relative to your expectations. FWIW, if price and value was equal between an All Stars resort and a Palm Pkwy property - I'd opt for All Stars.

Tom P.

All Stars are great for folks struggling with money issues and wanting to be on property, group trips, and kid-oriented stays. Depends on what you want. Kids have always been impressed with the decor, and my fave of the three is the movies. However, Pop Century beats all for me in that category.
Why do folks always seem to assume that everyone staying at the value resorts is "struggling with money issues"? Why can't it simply be that lots of people would like to spend their money elsewhere at WDW? We could afford to stay at a deluxe if we wanted to, but I'm hard pressed to justify the price. Art of Animation gives us every amenity that our family wants and provides plenty of fun and relaxation for us. Other than being closer to a particular park, or just the "coolness" factor of certain resorts, I can't honestly think why I'd want to spend more.

ELG13

Why do folks always seem to assume that everyone staying at the value resorts is "struggling with money issues"? Why can't it simply be that lots of people would like to spend their money elsewhere at WDW? We could afford to stay at a deluxe if we wanted to, but I'm hard pressed to justify the price. Art of Animation gives us every amenity that our family wants and provides plenty of fun and relaxation for us. Other than being closer to a particular park, or just the "coolness" factor of certain resorts, I can't honestly think why I'd want to spend more.
That's absolutely us. We can afford moderate and could probably do deluxe but we are literally never at the room. Why would I pay $500 a night just to sleep? Ed's are bigger and a little more comfy maybe but...eh...I'd rather save that cash and get an extra few days out of the trip or spend a little more at Disney springs. We are staying in the suite at movies this September...it's a quick trip (for us). We live the cabins and they weren't but $50 more a night, but that plus renting a golf cart and all that jazz...just give me all stars and a little bit longer bus ride and I'm fine. Would I prefer to stay at the cabins or another place??? Maybe....depends on the situation...but yeah..for us it's not bc we can't afford anything else...injaut think it's crazy to spend so much on a room when we just sleep there.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member

Agree 100%. I do though find a correlation with time spent at the resort depending on the resort. I've stayed at values, moderates, deluxe's, Palm Pkwy properties and Hilton's/Starwood's both on-property and off. I find when staying at a values, I spend less time at that resort. I will though drive over to a POR, CSR, Boardwalk, or a Monorail resort and spend an afternoon/evening there.

When at a moderate or deluxe - I spend a bit more time relaxing at that specific resort and tend not to do as much "resort hopping".

WDW Zandt

So we just came back from our trip and I have to say, staying at All Star Sports this time around was horrible. The staff we dealt with all seemed overly clueless. They didn't have our room ready and I had to go through seven people to get the crib we requested originally (as well, they kept bringing us towels obviously meant for another room.) The housekeeping also were extremely confused about us being there and kept insisting we were supposed to have checked out. When we got to the room the beds were made and everything looked nice but later after the housekeeping confusion we discovered park maps and a sorcerer's card game map under the sheets, and also a cell phone stand on the floor.

Also, we were staying at Center Court where the Donald Duck Tennis Game display area is still destroyed (Donald and his nephews were removed, it's all blockaded off) but I was suprised at how my area was covered in leaves and was a total mess, where if you walk twenty feet away from my building the rest of All Star Sports was nicely landscaped.

So, it's hit or miss when it comes to staying at any resort, bu t'd no longer vouch for Sports.

ppet

When staying on property my favorite place to stay is POFQ. I have stayed at value, moderate and deluxe. I have to say when my kids were young they really enjoyed All Stars. It is really about the cartoonish theming and bright colors. Now that they are older if we do stay at a value it is generally POP. If your kids are younger than Teens they would probably like ALL Stars.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom